Menu

Question about Adventues in Phonics...

MamaHappy

rainbowresources.com has samples too and google books I think ...

I did AIP with three of my kids. One just turned 7 and is reading at 6-7th gr. level, one is 6 (mildly autistic) reading at 2nd grade level and one is 4 , reading at 1st gr. level. They all spell way above their grade also.

I highly attribute this to AIP !

AIP is a boring book but it does the job, it's so easy to use, for both the mom and the child and is phonics-based. Not to mention VERY affordable. I do rec. the TM , although I only used it with one of my dc (the autistic one) who needs a little more .

AIP does have a lot of writing but I think it's beneficial . These fine motor skills need to be developed and writing helps ! We used a HW program also but at half speed since they were writing some in AIP. So half-speed AIP and half-speed the HW program. We only did one page/day ,except my 4yo who keeps doing sometimes 2 or even 3 because she likes it. One of my kids hated it though but AIP taught him so good !

I highly recommend the CLP readers to go with it , unless you have other phonics readers .

Your child will read earlier than you expect if you use this book .:)

AIP is an excellent program.

There is a LOT of writing (at least to me). I worked with my dds, writing about a third of each assignment, then they did the rest on their own. They did not need my assistance to figure out the answer, it's just that rather than crossing problems off or doing them orally, I wanted them to see the words being written.

I used a light handwriting program with it, as there was very little practice with capital letters.

Edited by mamalbh

Just wanted to add that we used Adventures in Phonics C with dd when she was in 2nd grade, and then finished it when she was in 4th grade (she went to public sch for 3rd).

I found it to be an excellent supplement to SWO. The last few sections on dividing syllables were fantastic--really cemented the concepts for her, and she began to apply those rules when reading very difficult words. As a child who read quickly and almost intuitively (but was taught using phonics--PP), she would often read the first part of a long word and then not quite get the end. In her personal reading, she'd just go on, but in reading aloud, I could see her having trouble perservering thru unfamiliar 6 and 7 syllable words. AiP helped her break down those words quickly. That helped in spelling, too, obviously.

My one criticism of AIP was that by level C, the lines were quite small for writing. I've only used C, and my second grader was challenged by those lines, but she had very neat handwriting, and it really wasn't a huge deal.

Just wanted to add that we used Adventures in Phonics C with dd when she was in 2nd grade, and then finished it when she was in 4th grade (she went to public sch for 3rd).

I found it to be an excellent supplement to SWO. The last few sections on dividing syllables were fantastic--really cemented the concepts for her, and she began to apply those rules when reading very difficult words. As a child who read quickly and almost intuitively (but was taught using phonics--PP), she would often read the first part of a long word and then not quite get the end. In her personal reading, she'd just go on, but in reading aloud, I could see her having trouble perservering thru unfamiliar 6 and 7 syllable words. AiP helped her break down those words quickly. That helped in spelling, too, obviously.

My one criticism of AIP was that by level C, the lines were quite small for writing. I've only used C, and my second grader was challenged by those lines, but she had very neat handwriting, and it really wasn't a huge deal.

Yes, that is a negative for AIP -the lines are very small even for K and A , B books. I allowed my kids to write as big as they wanted and did not require a beautiful HW in AIP , they had their own HW workbooks .

Just wanted to add, that while I loved AIP, my dd did not do well with it. That's what we were using before we switched to R&S. She learned to read very basic readers from Calvert's K program. We used CLP for first grade (we thought Calvert's early grades were dry), and there was minimal improvement in her reading skills. Doing the program was like pulling teeth. It's a good workbook, but I didn't think it was enough... seemed more supplementary to me. I have a friend who used it the same year and would up switching as well. CLP's reading program seems like a good program (to me), but did not help my dd to advance at all for some reason. We switched to R&S, within a couple of months, and it was a lifesaver!

I'm not saying this to make you not get it, I just want you to be able to make an informed decision. Other people have had success with it, the way it sounds.