Menu

Is it a bad thing for a 10th grader not to take the PSAT?

I really wanted to take the PSAT this year but I am just not prepared for it. It's mostly the math section I am not prepared for, like geometry and a little bit of algebra. Also I am not very familiar with the test format just yet, but I am getting there! I am going to take the CAT test soon and probably the NECAP, but not sure yet.

I know I am rambling on and on about this, but is not taking the PSAT a bad thing? I feel really dumb right now....:crying::crying::blush:

The whole idea of the PSAT is that it's practice for the SAT. You're not supposed to be ready! It costs only a few dollars to take, the score doesn't go to anyone other than you if you don't want it to, and it's great practice for the SAT.

Personally, I think it's a great idea to take the PSAT in 10th grade. Don't worry about your score - just use it as a learning experience. You'll have a better idea of what the tests are like for when it does count, and you'll have a better idea of what areas to work on more. :)

No, it's not a bad thing. But you may want to reconsider.

I had ds take it last year as a sophomore just so he could see what the test was like. He was definitely not prepared, lol, but he's taking it again next month and feels pretty good about it since he knows what to expect.

Why do you want to take it in 10th grade? When do you plan on taking the SAT?

Are you planning on taking the PSAT in 11th grade also when it counts for National Merit and are you hoping to score high enough to qualify as a semi-finalist or a commended student?

My son took the PSAT only in 11th grade. He did some prep work before hand with the Kaplan book and scored well enough to be commended (and missed semi finalist by two points ;)). Then he took the SAT in the spring of his junior year and scored very well on that as well.

There is nothing "bad" about not taking the test in 10th grade.:)

Why do you want to take it in 10th grade? When do you plan on taking the SAT?

Are you planning on taking the PSAT in 11th grade also when it counts for National Merit and are you hoping to score high enough to qualify as a semi-finalist or a commended student?

My son took the PSAT only in 11th grade. He did some prep work before hand with the Kaplan book and scored well enough to be commended (and missed semi finalist by two points ;)). Then he took the SAT in the spring of his junior year and scored very well on that as well.

There is nothing "bad" about not taking the test in 10th grade.:)

I was planning on attempting the SAT in my junior year and also taking the PSAT my junior year as well. I thought maybe practicing the PSAT in 10th grade would be a good idea, but I don't believe I am fully prepared! Math right now is my only problem, it's mostly the geometry concepts that are getting me because I just started it.

Thank you for sharing your story though, I am glad your son did well and I hope I can succeed as well!

Take it in 10th, even if you feel unprepared. There is absolutely no negative to this (aside from the small fee), and you will get a sense of what you need to work on. Take it in 11th - if you score very high, you could end up with scholarship money, both from the test folks and in some cases from colleges. (The money directly from the test folks is not that much, but the college money can be significant.) Even if you don't do well in 11th, you will be better prepared for the SATs. You can take them in the spring of 11th and the fall of 12th.

Study guides are available in most libraries - check one out if you want to get an idea of what the math involves.

Well, I wouldn't say it's a bad thing not to take it in 10th, but, I do think it's a good idea to take it if you're able.

I don't think it's necessary to be really prepared, as I look at it as practice for next year.

Plus, you don't have to pay to take it as a 10th grader (at least in my area you don't).

I've been having my daughter do the SAT Question of the Day each day just to get used to the types of questions that may be used.

If you are going to consider it, now is a good time to contact your local high school to sign up.

Maybe I should, but what exactly does the math section cover and what do you think I should know if I were to take it?

(now I am reconsidering it :lol:)

Not knowing what to expect is an excellent reason to take it this year. You'll be much better prepared in your junior year when it actually counts.

It's a relatively inexpensive test, and I'd worry less about the results and focus on the amount of experience and information you will gain.

Good luck!