Menu

K12's Human Odyssey--can you tell me about it?

TKDmom

What you like, what you hate, how much time it takes?

I'm mulling over using this alongside The World in Ancient Times set next year, and I'd likely get the Teacher's Guide and Student Pages.

I'd also be using SOTW for my youngers. Would it just be too much work?

I was thinking about just using SOTW, then adding in the World in Ancient times for the 5th grader. But I always have a hard time resisting the lure of more books....;)

Love, love, love it. I'm also using the World in Ancient Times alongside, and I have the Teacher and Student pages for K12HO.

I'm reading the text aloud to all 3 of my kids, and the older two are reading the WiAT themselves. Both are great.

Can you tell me the ages of your kids?

And where do you get the K12 teacher and student pages from?

I was thinking that WAT or HO would be an either/or situation, rather than both. Can you please tell me what about both of them makes it worth using both?

I got the Teacher/Student pages used on Amazon, but I think they're hard to come by that way these days.

What makes them different but still great together? :) The K12HO has a great cohesive story arc that ties everything together, but being a comprehensive text can't possibly go into great detail on every age and culture. The World in Ancient Times concentrates on one culture at a time, and goes into much more detail. It also has a nice Primary Source volume tied to it.

I've got a schedule figured out so far for 3/4 of Human Odyssey Vol 1 with the Ancient Times and the following medieval/renaissance/early modern (forget what that series is called :lol: ) books. I'm going to try to get it posted onto my blog this weekend (Monday is a day off, due to Older Sister being off school) but I'll add a link to the post in my signature then.

I love love love using the K12 text (which is unlike any other non-highschool history text I've ever seen) with the Oxford books. Dd10 has amazing retention, even though she's not doing daily outlining/note-taking. We just talk a lot :D

I like these book because they read aloud well. The color plates are beautiful, and the chapters are just long enough without becoming a burden.

If you can locate the TE & Student pages they recommend 5 days a week. I think the Student Pages could be less confusing; however, we are using these pages without the paid for online component.

Used alone with the Student Pages could be enough for a student who might not want to do too much work. I combine vol.2 with reading A History of US for an 8th grader.

Oh I really, really shouldn't be looking at those Oxford books. But I'm all tempted all over again :rofl:

What written work, if any, do your kids do? What do you do other than the reading? Do you use Historical Lit as well?

I'm having my older two do the written work that's in the Student Guides, which is some comprehension, filling in charts and mapwork,and some writing assignments. I also add a ton of historical fiction and biographies - this keeps us going at a slower pace than others might like.

I've got a schedule figured out so far for 3/4 of Human Odyssey Vol 1 with the Ancient Times and the following medieval/renaissance/early modern (forget what that series is called :lol: ) books. I'm going to try to get it posted onto my blog this weekend (Monday is a day off, due to Older Sister being off school) but I'll add a link to the post in my signature then.

Luckymama, I'm still looking forward to that schedule of yours. No pressure, though. ;) Let me know if you do find time to post it.

:lurk5:

Great thread. I was planning on using K12's History Odyssey already, but with H.A Geurber's books (Story of the Greeks, Romans), but gosh, those Oxford WAT books look really nice! Are there any similar Oxford books for the Middle Ages as well?

Luckymama, I'm still looking forward to that schedule of yours. No pressure, though. ;) Let me know if you do find time to post it.

I'm writing up a separate page on my blog. It's taking more time than I thought because I'm trying to link everything.

And this darn family expects to be fed every day, too :tongue_smilie:

Yes, the 2nd set covers the Middle AGes. I don't know the exact title. I'm sure someone else will post a link to Amazon.

Thank you! Found them! Drool..

http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/series/MedievalEarlyModernWorld/~~/c2Y9YWxsJnZpZXc9dXNh

Such an awesome resource. In the logic stage, at least for me, it's a matter of paring down, otherwise I'm going to end up with too many history resources!