Menu

Biology CLEP study guide help!

My daughter has taken a few CLEP exams and what she found most useful was the InstantCert.com site and several CLEP/AP study guides. The REA guides vary in terms of quality and accuracy.

On Amazon, the CLEP Biology guide is only rated 3 stars, whereas the Cliff Notes AP Biology Prep guide is rated 4.5 with many more users highly satisfied. I would suggest using the http://www.amazon.com/CliffsAP-Biology-Cliffs-Ap/dp/0470097647/ref=sr_1_5?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285362163&sr=8-5 AP Cliff notes instead; that way, she could possibly take both exams, and go with the higher score. The REA guide would be less informative than the Cliff Notes guide.

Example, at University of Florida a passing CLEP score of 50 nets 3 credit hours in Intro to Bio 1005. However, if a student took the AP exam and by chance earned a score of 4, it would net her 4 hours (which includes a lab) of higher level Biology 2010. If she should knock herself out and earn a 5, she would earn a whopping 8 credit hours, for a full years' worth of Integrated Biology I and II, including both labs. You just never know.

Edited by distancia

Just a general question for those who are familiar with both the BJU text and the CLEP exam: The BJU text is a high school program whereas the CLEP exam tests college level knowledge. Will a high school biology textbook prepare students for the CLEP?

My son used a college level text and then took the AP exam. I don't think that he could have taken the AP if he had used a high school book.

The BJU text is pretty thorough, from what I have seen. Again, I think what matters most is how much of a comprehensive text a student retains in terms of conceptualization.

My h/s senior D recently observed an upper-level neurobiology class (3 hour lecture) at a prestigious college. Although she did not understand the technical terminology specific to neurobiology, she said that her h/s Honors Bio class had prepared her well enough to understand a great deal of the lecture.

My daughter has taken a few CLEP exams and what she found most useful was the InstaCert.com site and several CLEP/AP study guides. The REA guides vary in terms of quality and accuracy.

:iagree:

Instantcert.com (watch the spelling) is a good resource that my two oldest have used successfully. They have biology flash cards that would be useful for CLEP study. Also check out speedyprep.com. Speedyprep is planning to have biology flashcards ready in the next few months, probably in time for your daughter to use.

I also agree that APs are generally more widely accepted by 4-year schools, and usually for more credit. Research your dd's anticipated college and degree requirements carefully.

GardenMom