Menu

A VERY quick fill in the blank question for moms

For me personally, 40.

I had my last child at 40 and it was a very hard pregnancy. It was my first c section after 5 natural births (baby was 10 and a half pounds and breech with failed turning) and a very hard recovery (took a good 6 months until I was feeling back to my old self again).

But I have known of many other women who had wonderful pregnancies, births and recoveries well into their late 40's.

So I think it is a personal choice, to each her own !

For me, it was less about a certain age and more about the age of my other children. I wanted all of my kids to be within 10 years of one another. I wanted all of them to live at home at the same time, to get to know each other, to feel close. We had our first at age 20/21 and our fourth at age 30/31.

If this is about age, I would have felt comfortable having children up to age 35 or so.

35. My pregnancies were progressively more difficult as I got older.

Another reason: My mother was an older mom. She is now 84 and has Alzheimers. While I consider it a privilege to help take care of her (and Dad while he was alive), it is so very difficult taking care of her while I have/had children are young. When my kiddos were a bit younger, there were days that I didn't know if I was coming or going or even what day it was! Caregiving on both ends is brutal on the mind, body and marriage. I would like to spare my children from going through this if possible. I realize that this could happen with a younger parent as well, but it was a decision we made based on our experience.

I will admit to being a bit jealous when my friends are going shopping at the mall or out to lunch with their 60-something mothers. I can't even imagine!

We had our youngest at 42.:001_smile: He has been an absolute joy and we can't imagine our lives without him. Although there would have been much less noise and activity!

One of my dear friends from high school had twins at 51. :001_smile: Her other son is in college.

For me, the cut-off date would have been 48. I just can't imagine having a toddler right now.

How many dc do you have now? How spread out are they? (This would be more of a consideration for us than anything else.)

What do you want to be doing when you're 60? Traveling, visiting older dc, working on hobbies? Or sending another dc off to college like we'll be doing?:)

40. I had my last at 40, my pregnancy was OK, labor and delivery not so good but I have heard much worse. But now, I have a very busy 3yob and it is so draining!! But, I am enjoying him, maybe even more than the others. I am more laid back and not so worried about alot of things that bothered me when I was younger. So I think it is perfect. I KNOW I could not handle a new baby of my own now or anytime in the future.

35 for various reasons.

i also don't want to be too old as a g'ma.

my youngest will graduate high school when i am 52.

but, as far as personal choice, as long as you are healthy and not at any known risk, more power to you! i know there are older moms on this board and they seem terrific! :001_smile:

I'd give anything to have another child, at any age.

Yep. I had a hysterectomy at 35 after struggling for years with infertility. I have 2 beautiful children by adoption and wish I had more. One came to us when I was 30,the other when I was 37. Dh is nearly 50 though and is ready to stop so we will.

I think women should stop when they are ready - whatever their own personal reasons may be.

40. I had my youngest @ 39.5 & while it was okay then, it's getting harder for me to keep up. Fortunately, I'm very fit & can still go snowboarding, surfing, windsurfing etc, but they're pretty darn good now & usually end up leaving mom behind. The old dog does still teach them a new trick now & then.

Please fill in the blank.

I wouldn't want to be pregnant/have a child after the (maternal) age of _____.

You can give your reasons if you'd like.

just curious.

31. I had my son a month before I turned 31. :D I only wanted one and he's flippin' awesome. I have no desire or need for another.

Please fill in the blank.

I wouldn't want to be pregnant/have a child after the (maternal) age of _____.

You can give your reasons if you'd like.

just curious.

40-ish. My reasons being that I wanted to have enough of me left over to be a good grandma. I wanted my daughter to be in the spotlight when she (or both of them...or all 3 girls) start their families. Having had kids young, I was kinda worn out by 40. I had my last baby a few months before I turned 40 and I was done.

I can see some moms having babies into their 40's especially if they started later and are in good health.

I don't know if I see it as a good thing when women who have passed child bearing years artificially (or medically?) to turn the clock back...but...then again...who knows.....hmmmmmm

Faithe

40 was my cut off age. I had my last one a week after I turned 40. My pregnancy and delivery were fine, not perfect but fine.

My reasons are along the lines of maternal/infant risks as well as financial. In my opinion saving for retirement and dependents don't go well together. I had older parents and we were fine but they didn't have so many financial worries as they lived in a country with a robust welfare system (at least at the time).

I always wanted to be done by the time I was 30.

After a miscarriage at 30, I had #4 at 31 and the pregnancy/recovery were so much harder than they had previously been, especially with the other littles at home to take care of! I had so many complications dh and I decided our kids needed a mom more than they needed another sibling.

but, as far as personal choice, as long as you are healthy and not at any known risk, more power to you! i know there are older moms on this board and they seem terrific! :001_smile:

:iagree:

I think women should stop when they are ready - whatever their own personal reasons may be.

:iagree:

It keeps changing. When I was in my 20's, I said I wanted to be done having kids by 30.

But once I was 30, I thought 35 was a good cut off. The reason being because I'd read that from 35 on there were higher risks and that it would be considered more of a "high risk pregnancy."

Now that I'm 37 I'd love to have one more, but my husband doesn't want any more.

It was 35; then Little Bean decided to join our family. Now it's 40 (I'm 37 now). I don't plan on having a 5th, but told dh if we did, it'd have to be pretty fast after #4. Given that I usually don't regain fertility until the baby is 18 months, I'm not sure I'd be able to meet my deadline (nor that we necessarily want a 5th ... we don't have the room for it and dh is stressing about how he's going to make enough money to feed 3 teenage boys plus Little Bean! :lol:

I always said 35, and my last baby was born a month before I turned 36. We are *supposed* to be done... but I am not so sure. My last pregnancy and delivery was actually my easiest so far. I could really see having another one or two. But that is currently up for debate, LOL. My husband is concerned about risks of advanced maternal age and about finances. We also plan to adopt in a few years. So, a lot to consider.

But strictly considering the physical acts of pregnancy and delivery, I think I'd be comfortable with that into my early 40s.

That's how I feel after having 3 more after that age. :tongue_smilie:;) My last one was born shortly after I turned 39. I'm just tired, that's all. My 6yo has had sleep issues her whole life, so I have been in a chronic state of sleep deprivation for 6 full years now. My body could handle that when I was younger, but it's not doing so well now. :glare: I don't like the way the sleep deprivation has affected my personality.

I am extremely grateful for my little dears, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't trade them for any number of full night sleeps. I don't think.