Menu

Need perspective on the choices my ds needs to make for the weekend.....

I had gotten tickets for my 11th grader ds and 9th grader ds to go to a homeschool dance which is kind of like a ball from Pride and Prejudice. My 11th grader is also on the track team for the Christian school. He got a fifty percent scholarship for the sport. There is a track meet on that same day as the dance. Well, a few weeks later, we found out that a weekend long concert is taking place a few hours drive away. There would be camping and lots of "cool" Christian rock bands that my older ds has cds for. Now he wants very much to go but I'm hesitating because I had gotten the tickets for the dance which I couldn't really afford so that he and his brother could have some fun and pick up some social skills at the same time. I don't think they would get another chance as adults to do this. They could always go to the concerts as adults but then again, going to concerts as teenagers are different than as adults. Also, he does owe an obligation to the sponsor of his track to show up at track meets, doesn't he? He will have missed one due to a previous commitment and there are just five more meets left and should he miss another one to go to the concert? He's going to be working most of the summer and will be missing a week long concert because of work so he wants to go to this concert. Is there a right or wrong about these choices? Or a better or best? If not, I might just let him go ahead to the concert as this is what he'd rather do and try to find someone to buy his ticket. He has gone to both things before and prefers the concert.

If he doesn't run, will anybody be in his place? Could the team lose team points if there isn't someone in his event?

Beyond that...did he ask you to buy tickets for the dance? That would factor in to my decision.

Beyond that....I would let him go to the concert.

Clear as mud?

I agree with the others: team commitment first (moral obligation), concert he would like to go to second, and last of all the dance that *you* decided he should go to.

I like the idea of trying to find another family who could be blessed with the dance tickets.

I agree with the others: team commitment first (moral obligation), concert he would like to go to second, and last of all the dance that *you* decided he should go to.

I like the idea of trying to find another family who could be blessed with the dance tickets.

Well-said, all the way around, Abbey.

Dy

My thoughts exactly!!!

Now if he was a she....the ball, of course!!!! :001_smile: But no guy is going to be happy about attending a ball when there is a concert they could be at...surly, grumpy guys are no fin at a ball. I am not saying your guys would be so...on the outside.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. The concert is for the whole weekend, not just on Saturday night. It's several hours away and they camp in tents from Friday through Sunday. So, it's either the concert or track meet and dance but I suppose my ds could go only to the track meet and skip the dance if he wants to. When I asked him way back then if he wanted to go to the dance, he said yes, so I got the ticket. But yes, he will go to the track meet due to the moral obligation. Thanks ladies!

I knew I overlooked something! I don't know much about track so I talked with my ds just now and he said that the team does get a trophy based on the overall performance of the members. So, I told him that he really should support the team. And no, he didn't ask me to get the ticket but when I asked him at the time of the purchase, if he wanted to go, he said yes.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. The concert is for the whole weekend, not just on Saturday night. It's several hours away and they camp in tents from Friday through Sunday. So, it's either the concert or track meet and dance but I suppose my ds could go only to the track meet and skip the dance if he wants to. When I asked him way back then if he wanted to go to the dance, he said yes, so I got the ticket. But yes, he will go to the track meet due to the moral obligation. Thanks ladies!

Why couldn't he go up for the concert after the track meet on Saturday? Sure, he'll miss part of it, but he could make it for half the time. It sounds like that would be really meaningful to him.