Menu

need reading help (1st grade)

cin

My first grader is driving me crazy. She can read stuff when we're out, signs on doors, menus, etc. but as soon as we sit down to do reading, she goes stupid. She cannot read a word phonetically. She inserts sounds that aren't there, writes the letters in the wrong order, etc. This is only for phonics/reading. If she's reading a 'fun' book, she does just fine. I really want her to learn phonics though. Any ideas? I don't think she is dyslexic, cuz she does just fine at other times and with math.

Do you think she feels pressure when she's reading a "real" book and then everything goes out the window? I don't know, just throwin' things out there. It is important to learn phonics, and it's not the most glamorous subject in the world, so maybe she gets bored with them and is "rebelling" by not doing it right. I guess my only advice would be to just keep plugging away at the phonics.

First, I'd have her eyes checked. My dd5 has some flipping and reversal problems plus a midline jump that make her reading a challenge.

Next, what are you using for phonics? I'm using the old Phonics Pathways plus Pyramid book - I think the new Reading Pathways is the replacement for the pyramid. The instruction is easy. The lessons are short. The pyramids are perfect for her to practice and gently challenge her reading without frustrating her (or me). Even though she can read cvc and cvcc words in her phonics book, she won't read a "real" book yet because she doesn't think she can read. I'm in no big hurry for this. Once she gets some phonics and confidence, I'm sure she'll realize she can read and be more comfortable doing it.

And finally, I love the LeapFrog videos for basic phonic sounds and blending.

What program are you using with her? Do you think the teaching style is clashing with her learning style? I had to switch with my ds because there were tears every.single.time I brought out OPG-- I switched to Phonics Pathways and now he asks to do phonics. :001_huh: Don't ask me what the difference is because they seem to be the same "style" but he does like all the games in phonics pathways.

Next, what are you using for phonics? I'm using the old Phonics Pathways plus Pyramid book - I think the new Reading Pathways is the replacement for the pyramid.

And finally, I love the LeapFrog videos for basic phonic sounds and blending.

Yes we have reading pathways as well and that is the reading pyramids. I also recommend that! We also got word works with it, its the game packet.

My son LOVES the LeapFrog videos!

Also, another thought, does she like a workbooky type approach? If she does, I would recommend adding in Explode the Code or something similar!

My ds has a similiar problem, so I completely understand. I think with him, some it is was performance anxiety. He felt too pressured whenever I said, "Time to read from your reading book!" He would fuss and could barely read the words he had just spelled on his spelling test! Frustrating. I found that if I found readers that were advanced for him, but the content was more for "fun", that he was excited about reading WITH me. I will read the hard words and he reads the rest. So far, it is working at keeping him interested and pressure free. Just an idea! Good luck.

Jenn

I switched to Phonics Pathways and now he asks to do phonics. :001_huh: Don't ask me what the difference is because they seem to be the same "style" but he does like all the games in phonics pathways.

That's funny. It just goes to show all children are different. My dd is loving Phonics Pathways and Reading Pathways, as well. It's working so well for her and she adores Dewey. But, when I tried the Bag the Bugs game because I thought it would make it more fun, her response was, "Mommy, this game was okay, but can we just read out of MY book (PP)?"