Menu

working part time -- anyone doing it?

I've been asked to teach a couple of classes at a local college, I'm vascillating over whether to accept. I don't *need* to work, but naturally it would be nice to have a bit of extra income of my very own. It isn't a full part-time, they are asking for six teaching hours per week; of course this doesn't include any prep time or evaluations.

I'm not sure about the timing. We're only a couple of weeks into our school year, but already our days are pretty packed. If I took a class that started at 8 am, I could leave the kids with a "to-do" list to get done those things that can be done independently. In your experience, is this how you handled it, and were the kids good about actually doing what you left them to do?

It would be harder for me to have classes in the afternoons, as this is when I'm chauffering kids around to various sports and other activities.

And I'm not sure how much time outside of the classroom this would commandeer. During the week I have very little spare time, I could manage time on the weekends.

Maybe I could try it for a semester and see how it goes?

Anyone else doing a parttime job? How is it working out?

I'm in the process of applying for a sub para teaching job, which would be very part time. I'm hoping it works out for our family and would love to hear other's experiences.

I do know from teaching community ed. classes that anytime I have to teach, there is so much prep time, it becomes stressful as it cuts into our school time. I figure as a sub, I go to work and when the day is done, I'm done. I don't have to spend hours prepping.

I do know from teaching community ed. classes that anytime I have to teach, there is so much prep time, it becomes stressful as it cuts into our school time. I figure as a sub, I go to work and when the day is done, I'm done. I don't have to spend hours prepping.
I do have some concern about this; I'm supposed to meet with the director this weekend, I intend to ask how detailed are the materials they give for the course. I mean, I know there are already assigned textbooks but I'm not sure how pre-scripted it is.

I used to work part time a few years ago - a few hours a day, 4 days a week... Sometimes on call...

For us, it was the worst decision. My kids at the time were... 7 & 8? They couldn't focus on the work at hand, and ended up falling "further behind", and eventually just stopped really doing any work during that time. The biggest disappointment for me was that I lost relationship with my kids - we just started to drift away. Thank God, we've gotten it back, and it's better now than it was before. I'm not saying that that will be the case with your family, or even that your kids won't be able to stay on task - they may be. I just know that it didn't work for us.

Just keep in mind, that when you are home, you'll be playing catch up - catching up with schoolwork, housework, relationships, etc.

I work 25 hours a week, mornings only. We have an au pair/childminder who comes in every morning and does the work I set for my older dd. My younger dd is in Kindergarten this year, but will be coming home from Jan (when our school year starts) and we'll follow the same schedule with her.

I do all math with my dd, but the other subjects fluctuate as she needs my input. The au pair writes a daily report of the work covered each day and I check it when I get home. She also overseas music practice in the morning.

My job does not allow it, but I would have preferred to work later in the day so that I could do more of the homeschooling in the morning myself. Now that she is older, dd has many more activities that are longer in the afternoons, so I see much less of her.

Would you be comfortable and is it feasible to get someone to do your afternoon chauffering to the activities and sports? Or carpool for dropoffs or pickups as your schedule allows? That way you could do 6 hours of afternoon classes, and not have to worry about your availability for homeschooling.

I do a long 12hr day, one day a week, as an assistant and open studio monitor for the jewelry program, at a local arts center. But, my better half is at home, so my youngest is not left w/o school to do, and a parent to make sure she actually does her work. Her only real adjustment has been her sister going to school this year. Mondays can get a bit lonely once work is done.

I have gradually been picking up more part time work as the kids get older. Yes, the money is great and overall the experience has been beneficial and good.

I have one kid who works well independently. The other...not so. I have often had him ask his sister for help when needed if I am not available- and that sometimes works :glare:. Other times I just deal with it as it comes up, give consequences for work not done or done badly...and overall it is ok.

This is such a terrific topic. Personally, I can't even articulate how difficult it was for me to navigate these transitions since having my child. And, even other women and therapists would say "You can have it all." When I would cry and plead, "I just want to be with my child." I was then asked about the relationship with my Mother! :ack2: It was a very difficult transition for me. Not so for everyone so this is only my personal experience.

If your part-time job requires child care think carefully. You may end up making much less money with more hassle (scheduling). If there is a way you can barter services for child care, try that first. My mind can only go in so many places at once and then I enter stressville. I picked up a Working Mother magazine and I could not believe all the ads for depressants/mood enhancers/calming down meds for Moms AND kids. Scary.:(

I think being with my child at the end of the day is one thing, but planning his lessons is a job in itself. I love the idea of the au pair who comes in your home and oversees their work. That is great. I think it is good for them to receive direction from others (under your supervision, of course.)

I want to also agree with the Mom who said she lost some closeness with her children. Although mine is still young, I went through the exact thing! Once I brought him back home with me 24/7, I began to reconnect and now I can read him like a book.;)

Make sure there aren't extra obligations outside of what is on paper and hold your ground. Set strong boundaries. Sometimes we only learn by trial and error, what can work for our family.

All the best to you!:grouphug:

My experience with working and schooling has been good. I work around 20 hrs. a week. They will only schedule me evenings or weekends. So it never interferes with our school day. Although I sometimes get tired and look forward to a quiet evening at home, it also has a good side. My dh takes on the history part of schooling, since this is his specialtly. It also gives him one on one time with the dc. It is definately a balance and we always try to stay cognizant of our schedules. We tweak them often. I am a scheduler. I will schedule school, work, fun activities and even black out days (where nothing is allowed to be scheduled). I even schedule Christmas baking and activities, so as to not feel rushed and feel like I miss the season. The key to my sanity and the families is to prepare for what we can and then the suprises don't seem to upset the whole dynamic of the family.

Out of necessity, I've been working outside the home at as many as 3 jobs for the last few years.

It's doable.

What I noticed, for me, is that what I got emotionally and pyschologically from some of that work helped sustain and build momentum for the increased need for organization, focus during school hours and homeschool efficiently.

It was/is tough on my kids, but ultimately, I think it was more positive than not.

I teach 6 credit hours at the cc. I try to teach the same class so I only have one prep. It's good money for the time I'm away from home, but it's not so great when you include the prep time and (worse) the grading.

Some weeks are tougher than others, so if you take the courses, be aware of that.

I teach two nights a week so I'm home in the days. I generally do prep work and grading on the weekends, so the drawback is when we aren't between semesters, I'm pretty much constantly working.

I've been debating this myself. My old boss wants me to return to work only 4 hours/week (Friday afternoons 1pm - 5pm) and I'll make $45 per hour. I don't know why but somehow I think this will be too much of a nuissance (and it's ONLY 16 minutes away) and I have family to keep my kids! I even LOVED my old job (did before kids). I'm interested to read more responses too.

I just started working 9 hours a week at the local community college (plus about an hour per day of commute time, since it's centrally located in the county, in the middle of nowhere). It's 10-1 MTW--prime school time.

Pros:

Great for my career. I was wondering if I would have to switch fields when this job plopped into my lap.

It pays disgustingly well per hour--no wonder California is going broke.

My husband was laid off last week and now we need the income.

I enjoy the work just fine and like my co-workers.

The kids are behaving beautifully and adjusting well.

Cons:

Our days are now packed full. We school intensively for an hour, I take them to a friend's where they do schoolwork, then I come home and do more school for an hour. We frequently do not get as much done as I would wish. I'm having to be way more scheduled (pro or con?).

I'm tired a lot, though that is improving as I adjust. (The new routine of walk/jogging every morning instead of walking is another culprit there.)

There is not as much room for spontaneity or field trips that aren't on Thursdays or Fridays.

The house is in even worse shape than usual. I was going to hire a cleaner with my new wealth, but now that's out.

I own my own business and work at the office (out of the house) 4 mornings a week. DD8 comes with me and has her own desk there where she does her independent work....CLE Math, LA, Reading, Bible, Sonlight Science, Lively Latin and a different elective each day. Afternoons are various lessons (tennis, gymnastics, horse back riding), then home to do MCT and Social Studies together. Friday mornings is CC.

I'm single and I've always worked since DD was a few months old and for the most part she's always been with me. I had a sitter at the home briefly when she was a toddle. She was in Montessori preschool for a while and I tried various child care arrangements when she was older but I found our relationship was tough and I couldn't keep up with the school work and general routine.

Now that she's in fourth grade, things are going much more smoothly as she is getting more independent. I still have to stay on top of her much of the time. I'm lucky because I own my own company so I have a lot of flexibility about working from home when necessary and bringing her to work.

I just got a job for Saturdays only, 5 hours. I'm already seeing how working on weeknight evenings would be better. :( I haven't even worked my first day and there are already 2 events that I would have liked to attend that I no longer can. Our church events for my 3 teens are on Friday nights, sometimes overnight to Saturday. REALLY look at your schedule and family life before deciding!

Saturdays were the only day that this co. was hiring for and my mom basically pulled strings to get me the job, so it was easy. BUT...I'm hoping that eventually I'll be able to add a weeknight evening or two OR switch to evenings period. Our family sacrifices quite a bit already having only one vehicle and being so low-income, so more sacrifice hurts a bit for me. But I gotta do what I gotta do, 'cause dh can't seem to do. LOL

I own my own business and have a mental commitment to putting in at least 20 hours a week. I work from home and can work pretty much whenever I want to, except when I have meetings with clients (generally in the evenings - over the phone).

It's been tough to make it happen, despite all the flexibility. 20 hours didn't seem like much (and seemed very doable) when I first started up the business several months ago (especially since I used to work ~50 hours a week up until 2 years ago). But I'm finding that it's a lot more than I'm willing to put in now...

OP - I think your thought of trying it for a semester and seeing how it works out is a good approach. That's the nice thing about teaching at the college level - there are several breaks throughout the year when you can reassess and quit with limited disruption if it isn't working out...