Menu

Saxon Math - Extra Practise

tarana

We recently switched to Saxon Math-4 with my 3rd graders. One of my DD(8) needs more practise as she is not able to grasp the concepts. She is doing well with the math facts. Its the new concepts she is having problem with.

Is there a website or resource that I can use for extra practise?

What specific concepts? There are a number of worksheet sites, but it would be helpful to know what some of the things are that she's missing.

She has issues with all new concepts in general. However I see she is struggling with Geometry in particular.

Before this we used Singapore Math, which used to concentrate on a particular concept & go from basics to advanaced. Saxon seems to jump a lot. Before even the new concept has sunk in, they are reviewing something else.

Should I be looking at just worksheets for extra practise or another supplemental cirriculum?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
She has issues with all new concepts in general. However I see she is struggling with Geometry in particular.

Before this we used Singapore Math, which used to concentrate on a particular concept & go from basics to advanaced. Saxon seems to jump a lot. Before even the new concept has sunk in, they are reviewing something else.

Should I be looking at just worksheets for extra practise or another supplemental cirriculum?

This is why Saxon was a dismal failure for us. If it's not working for her why not just go back to Singapore or try something else?

My son is just getting started with the DIVE cd for Saxon, and loving it. They are explaining things way better than I could, even with a script. And he can rewind and watch again if necessary. They are available for 5/4 and up.

My other thought would be to put her back in Saxon 3.

Ours is a long story, but we left Saxon in pursuit of other things, and then came back, but only for 2 of my dc. Rod and Staff 4 is a great fit for my younger ds, he refuses Saxon.

Not every program works for every kid, but make sure you've got them placed correctly, too.

HTH. It's frustrating finding the right fit.

Right now it will be be cubersome to change the cirriculum due to several reasons finance being the main one. So I have to make it work.

She does understand the concepts, it simply does not stick. If there is a website with worksheets / supplemental cirriculum that uses the same Math-language as Saxon does it will be great!

Right now it will be be cubersome to change the cirriculum due to several reasons finance being the main one. So I have to make it work.

She does understand the concepts, it simply does not stick. If there is a website with worksheets / supplemental cirriculum that uses the same Math-language as Saxon does it will be great!

I bought the Math Mammoth Blue Series to supplement Saxon in any areas that my boys need help.

I've also been tempted at times to do the IXL math website. Homeschool Buyers Co-op used to have a deal; I don't know of they still do.

There is also Destination Math that is correlated to Saxon.