Menu

Question about Facebook

I'm not really sure why I'm asking this. I guess because I just visited FB and came away feeling discouraged. I have an account which I barely ever go on. I like to post pictures for friends and family. Also, I always wonder if there is that chance that some long lost friend/family may find me. :tongue_smilie:I'm a dork. So basically, I have a love/hate relationship with FB. I need to just deactivate, but I can't get myself to. I'm worried I may miss something. Again, :tongue_smilie:I'm a dork. I really do have a life. I'm just a tiny bit curious about FB and will visit friend's pages to see all that I'm missing. Ugh.

The problem is that I usually get discouraged or unsettled with my own life after reading the fabulous things other people are sharing. Even if it's something as trivial as the fabulous dinner they just had with friends, it still makes me feel blah. I'm just curious if I'm the only one? Or am I just totally pathetic. If that's the case I could use some :grouphug: . And now I promise to stop posting all the smile faces. Amen.

Edited by mom2littleboys

I

The problem is that I usually get discouraged or unsettled with my own life after reading the fabulous things other people are sharing.

Well...this is why I don't spend too much time on the curriculum boards anymore. Facebook I can handle... wtm curriculum boards? No way. :tongue_smilie:

Just remember most people only share the very best of what's happening with them. I used to feel like that whenever I read blogs, especially homeschooling blogs. All those beautiful schoolrooms! And that perfect curriculum! And the children are always so nicely dressed AND do great experiments at the same time even though there are 10 of them in the family :tongue_smilie:

For me FB is primarily a way to stay connected with family and friends that are overseas or out of town, especially when the baby was born. Beyond that, I don't take anything too seriously. I can share a joke with friends or send a quick message if I need to but that's about it. Having said that, I am feeling all inadequate because of a birthday cake a friend made for her son's 1st birthday (she posted pictures on FB). My baby girl is turning 1 in a few weeks - oh, the pressure! :D

I have FB only for business, I actually have no personal things on it! This way I don't waste any time! lol, I have forums, and blogs for that! ha ha...

but I that being said, a lot of the "friends" on my page, tell everything, waiting at Olive Garden (sent from phone) and I'm thinking who cares?

I deleted my personal account because I really didn't want to see my friend with marital problems was spending 8 hours playing farmville!

Just me...but I don't get the draw of it, but it does work for the business. (Digital Scrapbooking)

Just remember most people only share the very best of what's happening with them.

I completely agree, Lucy!

I try to stay away from FB when things aren't going well or when I am nothing more than a bundle of complaints. I don't tend to share that sort of thing in real life, so I certainly don't want to share on facebook.

By the way, Lucy, we don't care what sort of party you host for your sweet baby girl, we just want to see the pictures! ;)

Just remember most people only share the very best of what's happening with them.

Exactly!

I only log into my FB account about once every 2-3 months or so (the only reason I keep it active is in case someone wants to find me). If you're not using it much, and you find it more depressing than fun, I say just DEACTIVATE! ;)

I seriously do not get why people are so dang dramatic wrt FB. :confused: I have never spent a second of worry over it-- and I have blocked folks. FB is not that big of a deal. It's possibe I am not as old as some who've had issues, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

:iagree:

I had a lot of people tell me that reading my FB made them "tired" because it seemed like we were always doing so much. But then I would talk to them and realize they were just as busy as me and doing just as much with their kids. No one posts about the morning where everything was boring or the dinner that was really bland or the day at work when they weren't too busy or too stressed or especially successful. You're only seeing the best bits as selected and edited by these folks.

It's possibe I am not as old as some who've had issues, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

I wonder how often age is the issue.

I'm not making a comment on the OP's age, but your post reminds me of my dad and his wonky relationship with FB.

He has it set as his home page and complains CONSTANTLY about the things people choose to share. As much as he appears to dislike it, I can't figure out why he has anything to do with the site, much less set it as his home page. :confused:

Hmmmm, I'm not sure what age range I'm suspected of being in:glare: Maybe it does have something to do with that? I'm leaning toward thinking that it has more to do with currently being hormonal. Really, the only reason I'm feeling discouraged is because I'm letting myself feel that way. YKWIM? I'm just in a mood.

I remember reading some amazing stuff on a FB friend's page. I left thinking "wow, they really have it all together". Then, I happened to see their post on a message board...they were pretty much admitting that things were not all together(far from it). That's neither here nor there, just an observation.

I wonder how often age is the issue.

I'm not making a comment on the OP's age, but your post reminds me of my dad and his wonky relationship with FB.

He has it set as his home page and complains CONSTANTLY about the things people choose to share. As much as he appears to dislike it, I can't figure out why he has anything to do with the site, much less set it as his home page. :confused:

I know! I ran into a friend today and was told "I love your facebook updates. You are always so positive!" I thought that was very sweet. I don't have a zillion friends...but the ones I have are good folk. That's nice.

Ummm, I needed a :grouphug:. Now I'm feeling like more of a loser.

Not really, but a little ..."yeah sista', I know what you mean" might help.;) Anyone get what I'm talking about?

Oh, no. I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to make you feel badly.

Really. People only post the good stuff, and my comment about my dad reflects more on my current relationship with my parents with anything else.

:grouphug:

Sorry. :grouphug:.

FB can be fun and a way to connect.

Some people are just better at getting their thoughts across in one sentence, and some people are good at taking on-the-spot photos. My advice (unless you think you need this for networking) is to Friend only those people you enjoy and trust. You should feel safe among friends. People posting cute pics of their kids doing fun stuff is the good part for me. I love to see what my friends are doing, and a lot of what they are doing is far far cooler and more interesting that what i am doing. If I didn't want to know about their Bali or Thailand or Ireland trip, I would not be on FB, kwim? lol

Edited by LibraryLover

Explain. I can always find people's lives who are far more interesting than mine. But, this is the only place I can come and talk "shop" so to speak. Certainly you have much to contribute!

And, by the way, I am always finding myself envious of how fabulous other homeschoolers are or how many awesome vacations people take and how beautiful people are. I think we all have some green-eyed monster in us. ;)

Well...this is why I don't spend too much time on the curriculum boards anymore. Facebook I can handle... wtm curriculum boards? No way. :tongue_smilie:

Explain. I can always find people's lives who are far more interesting than mine. But, this is the only place I can come and talk "shop" so to speak. Certainly you have much to contribute!

Oh, I'm really not trying to throw a pity party here (or hijack mom2littleboys thread!) The simple response is...you people who successfully use the filing system to keep organized? You have my utmost respect :D but I just can't read about it :-(

Edited by Sophia

Thank God, it's a new day. I was having a bad evening. Moving on.....probably without FB. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to deactivate. The only thing it has brought me is an ex boyfriend pm'ing me and asking to see me:tongue_smilie: , a friend who is a Beach Body coach constantly trying to sell his shakes or announcing how obese everyone is, a couple of gals sharing TMI, etc.

On the flip side, it has reconnected me with a few old friends, but it only made me realize that we had grown apart for a reason. The rest of the friends, I connect with in person or by phone/email. 2 close friends deactivated this week-for different reasons, but along the same lines as mine. I feel better now. Carry on. :)

You know you can always delete or hide those folks who make you feel less than pretty (and that's a metaphorical use of the word, not literal).

I love FB..love it for business, love it for personal stuff. I have learned to block what I don't want to see (all the games, the drama, the boredom), and use it to keep in touch with folks.

But my biggest thing is that if it's causing you drama, get off it and email those you've found you want to stay in contact with :)

Maybe I'm weird but I think that anyone who has to brag so much about their day, their family, their cooking, their super duper 5 year old sports stars are all lying! I guess I don't get why people think other people really, really, really care about how great their lives are. What's the old saying...the squeaky wheel gets the grease? I have a SIL who totally brags about her daughter, her house, her this, her that and she is probably the most miserable, fabricator I have EVER met. So, OP don't get all upset, just remember that not everything is the way people make it sound....hence why the divorce rate is so high and so many kids are a dadbern mess these days.

I get on FB maybe once a month & don't always post. I like it to keep in touch with friends I don't see much & post the odd travel pics. I don't go on more because I generally don't care to know about so much everyday stuff. Either way, it's there when I want it, & I'm happy to not even think about it otherwise.