Menu

Hands-On Equations scheduling queston

siloam

I am trying to figure out if I should schedule 1 day per lesson (teach, lesson and coordinating verbal problems) or do them over two days?

Of course I just ordered my verbal book, and have two weeks before I need it, so I am trying to schedule it without seeing the book. :rolleyes:

BTW just to be clear this is for my 7th grader.

Heather

The verbal problems tend to get lumped together - the answer key in the book says after which lesson they can be introduced. So there are a large number after X lesson, another bunch after Y lesson...

I did one "regular" lesson a day, then I did 2-3 days of Verbal lessons after we got to whatever lesson it said to do a bunch after, then some more daily regular lessons, then another 2-3 days of verbal problems.

I think you're supposed to do most of Level 1 before starting on the first Verbal problems (if memory serves)...

We did these over the summer, so I wasn't scheduling around other math.

Ideally, I'd wait until I got the materials to see how much and how fast I think a particular child could do. Some of the earlier lessons might be basically review for a 7th grader, or that same kid might need a few days to mess with the manipulatives and make the connections between what he's (or she's) done earlier and with the way this program is set up.

I would guess the first handful of lessons would go quite quickly and be fairly easy. But I would hesitate to rush through the program, as it's laying the basis for some pretty abstract thinking and complex work along the line. Spreading the work out over a couple of days would allow for time to process it unconsciously, to filter through the concepts and make connections with previous work. And there may be points where you'll need to spend a few days longer.

The program is -- or should be -- fun. If you schedule it too tightly, your child is going to feel that it's just one more set of worksheets to get through, when really it could be more engaging than that.

We did the lessons for a level, then did all of the verbal problems for that level. I have mine packed right now, so I'm not sure I have this right, but there are around 8-10 lessons in each level. So we did all of that level, and then however long it took to do all the verbal problems. There are different "types" of verbal problems, each with problems to be completed after each level of the lessons is completed.

Each individual lesson could be done in a day, I think.

Ideally, I'd wait until I got the materials to see how much and how fast I think a particular child could do. Some of the earlier lessons might be basically review for a 7th grader, or that same kid might need a few days to mess with the manipulatives and make the connections between what he's (or she's) done earlier and with the way this program is set up.

She actually can already do simple algebra. RS had them doing problems like:

(2+4)h=54, 2k+5-3, 3e+e=16, c/9=7

She didn't have problems with any of them, and has already played with the HOE stuff a little.

I just want to solidify her thinking concretely about abstract math, and get her used to checking her work. She is the type who could got straight into Algebra, but she would probably also hit a big wall at some point. I would prefer to work on a sound foundation and start Algebra in 9th grade so she doesn't find it a struggle.

I would guess the first handful of lessons would go quite quickly and be fairly easy. But I would hesitate to rush through the program, as it's laying the basis for some pretty abstract thinking and complex work along the line. Spreading the work out over a couple of days would allow for time to process it unconsciously, to filter through the concepts and make connections with previous work. And there may be points where you'll need to spend a few days longer.

Looking at the base work there would be no problem with her doing it in a day, but the word problems might be too much to do in addition to the rest. Especially because, like you said, the time to absorb the information is good. I think I will assume the verbal book starts up after book 1 and schedule 2 days for levels II and III. I can tweak it later, if needed.

Thanks!

We did the lessons for a level, then did all of the verbal problems for that level. I have mine packed right now, so I'm not sure I have this right, but there are around 8-10 lessons in each level. So we did all of that level, and then however long it took to do all the verbal problems. There are different "types" of verbal problems, each with problems to be completed after each level of the lessons is completed.

Each individual lesson could be done in a day, I think.

Ahhh, ok so it might be better to schedule out level 1 then tell myself no and wait till I get the book to schedule the rest? Not really a big deal, I am just in a planning mood and wanted to get it done, but when you forget a book....well there are consequences. :blink:

Heather

Looking at the base work there would be no problem with her doing it in a day, but the word problems might be too much to do in addition to the rest. Especially because, like you said, the time to absorb the information is good. I think I will assume the verbal book starts up after book 1 and schedule 2 days for levels II and III. I can tweak it later, if needed.

The worksheets with the daily lessons are very straightforward, but the verbal equations are quite meaty. There are very many similar problems in each section, so I selected a fair number of each kind, and had them do about 8 a day over 2-3 days - this was still not all the problems, but a good sampling of a few of each kind. I think the general timing of the breaks were after Level 1, then once in the middle of Level 2, between Level 2 and 3, the middle of Level 3, and after Level 3.

My son did all the level 1 lessons along with the corresponding worksheet pages in a very short amount of time. He did one a day and there aren't that many lessons. He had no trouble with those.

For a little over a year now, we've been doing 2 problems at day out of the verbal equations book. That's where the real meat of the program is. Honestly, I often have to look up the answer in order to help him if he's having trouble. Anyway, at this rate, it is going to take us over a year to do all the level one problems.

Once we've done those, I'll have him do the level 2 lessons and then slowly work through all the level 2 problems in the verbal equations book and so on until we've finished all the problems through level 3.

Lisa