Menu

Beef Brisket --> Beef BBQ

Ok, we have a whole beef brisket and need to turn it into pulled beef BBQ by Sunday night via large crockpot. These facts are non-negotiable.

So, do I cut the brisket into smaller slices first - if so - how wide? Inch? Two inches? Or do I cut it into large pieces and just let it cook.

Then, do I cook it in the BBQ sauce from the beginning? Or cook it in something else - like Beef broth (or what?), then add the BBQ sauce after pulling it?

I'm planning on starting it on low Saturday evening, pulling it Sunday afternoon, then being sure it's cooked a little more - definitely in sauce at that point - then taking it with us.

How would YOU do it?

I would cook it whole if possible with some broth and spices. If it is too big and you are planning on 'pulling' the meat, you could cut it in half to make it fit. Once it is done, then pull the meat and add the bbq sauce. Heat it back up with the sauce to get the flavors to incorporate.

If it fits I would put it in a crockpot without cutting it up and have the fat side on top. I would dice some onions and throw in some seasoning and add a bottle of liquid smoke. I wouldn't add water or broth just the liquid smoke. Start the crock pot on high until it gets hot and then turn it down. On Sunday morning pull the beef, drain the liquid and add BBQ sauce and cook for awhile longer.

Oh yea, what time shall I show up?:D

I think meat is easier to pull when it's in big hunks, so I wouldn't cut it. I tend to cook it in a bit of water until nearly the end, then switch the sauce; otherwise, the sauce gets too concentrated. Or you could add water to the sauce from the beginning, I guess.

Edited by Laurie4b

Keep whole if you can, or at least in chunks as big as you can get in there, fat side up (don't get a trimmed brisket, you need that fat!):drool:.

I add seasonings (pepper, chili powder, whatever else interests me) and a bottle of beer, and then cook on low overnight - at least 12 hours, maybe 14.

It should just shred right up for you. :drool:

I agree with the others, don't cut it beyond any need to make the meat fit.

Don't cook it in BBQ sauce because there is a great deal of fat in brisket. Ideally the juices would be separated from the fat once the meat is cooked (while you are shredding the meat) and would be returned to the crackpot with the shredded or sliced beef.

At that point you could add BBQ sauce and let that cook awhile. But a BBQ sauce added at the start would be way too fatty.

Use a cooking fluid (water, beer, stock) than you can sperate from the fat easilyand you will be good.

Bill

Thanks all! You definitely saved me from cutting it ahead of time (except to fit). Now I just have to choose to use the sauce I have or try one of those others that looks scrumptious!

Oh yes, and dinner is from 4 - 7 on Sunday, so you just might make it from FL! ;) There's supposed to be 90 +- people so literally no one would notice a few more, and yes, there are more dishes coming than mine. This is just the first time EVER that I've done brisket so I wanted to learn from others to avoid making all the mistakes myself (as per my sig!).

I doubt it will be the last time we do brisket. My mouth is watering already and my doc has suggested I up my iron content - more beef was one of the suggestions.

Thanks all! You definitely saved me from cutting it ahead of time (except to fit).

The reason you don't want to cut the meat (on the off chance you're interested :D) is that brisket (being a working muscle) is loaded with collagen. This connective tissue makes the meat "tough." But when collagen is brought up to about 190 degrees (f) for an extended period of time the collagen "melts" and becomes luscious and delicious and the meat become tender. If you cut the meat the collagen will run out of the meat and flavor and tenderness would be lost.

Bill (brisket lover:)

ETAit's a bit of a "cheat" but a small amount of liquid smoke (not too much, it's powerful stuff) will give any sauce (bottled or homemade) the "smokiness" that brisket calls out for.

The reason you don't want to cut the meat (on the off chance you're interested :D) is that brisket (being a working muscle) is loaded with collagen. This connective tissue makes the meat "tough." But when collagen is brought up to about 190 degrees (f) for an extended period of time the collagen "melts" and becomes luscious and delicious and the meat become tender. If you cut the meat the collagen will run out of the meat and flavor and tenderness would be lost.

Bill (brisket lover:)

ETAit's a bit of a "cheat" but a small amount of liquid smoke (not too much, it's powerful stuff) will give any sauce (bottled or homemade) the "smokiness" that brisket calls out for.

I absolutely do like knowing, so thanks for the info! :001_smile:

So... in your opinion, are we better cooking it on low for 10 hours in our slow cooker or 10 hours in a 300 degree oven (assuming I use the Pioneer Woman's recipe that looks so delicious and her 40 minutes per pound is accurate)?

We're getting it ready to marinade with her recipe now and will start cooking on Saturday.

I absolutely do like knowing, so thanks for the info! :001_smile:

So... in your opinion, are we better cooking it on low for 10 hours in our slow cooker or 10 hours in a 300 degree oven (assuming I use the Pioneer Woman's recipe that looks so delicious and her 40 minutes per pound is accurate)?

We're getting it ready to marinade with her recipe now and will start cooking on Saturday.

Low and slo is the way to cook brisket. I do mine (big full "packer's cuts) outside on my Big Green Egg ceramic smoker for 18 hours at 200-225. I wouldn't want to cook at 300 since you want to hold an internal temp of about 180 for an extended period of time (called the plateau stage by "geeks" :D). This is when the collagen is transformed. Then a sudden spike up to 190 signals that you are done.

300 is too hot.

Bill

Low and slo is the way to cook brisket. I do mine (big full "packer's cuts) outside on my Big Green Egg ceramic smoker for 18 hours at 200-225. I wouldn't want to cook at 300 since you want to hold an internal temp of about 180 for an extended period of time (called the plateau stage by "geeks" :D). This is when the collagen is transformed. Then a sudden spike up to 190 signals that you are done.

300 is too hot.

Bill

We can put our oven at 200 or 225. It's not the same as a smoker, but we don't have one of those. How long would you estimate for a 15.71 lb brisket? Do you use a meat thermometer or how else do you find the magic 190?

I'm not sure what "low" on our slow cooker is. I might have to check.

"Pulled beef"? I've never heard of that. Usually it's pulled pork.

True, and where hubby comes from (eastern NC), pork is the ONLY meat that gets BBQ'd and with a vinegar based sauce at that! However, we've traveled all over the US - always trying the BBQ - and really liked pulled beef better than sliced beef brisket, so thought we'd try it. Sliced is definitely more common, but pulled just literally melted in our mouths and tasted really good mixed with sauce. I know, sauce is a horrid thought for some - we might make it optional on the side pending tenderness and flavor of the meat.

Where we live, BBQ tends to be synonymous with Sloppy Joes which is REALLY not my thing, so we're introducing something new (for many). Someone else is bringing traditional pulled pork. Our best guess is that the "Eastern NC Traditional" pulled pork won't go over well in this area. Maybe someday we'll try it, but not on this day when the theme is "Western BBQ."

We can put our oven at 200 or 225. It's not the same as a smoker, but we don't have one of those. How long would you estimate for a 15.71 lb brisket? Do you use a meat thermometer or how else do you find the magic 190?

I'm not sure what "low" on our slow cooker is. I might have to check.

The slow cooker would be a "no-brainer."

I wouldn't want to give a time from an oven I wasn't used to, but a "rough" guide would be about an hour per pound.

The only way to really monitor the temps is with a device like a "Polder." These have probes that give both the internal temperature of the meat and the temperature of the oven. They have a cable that runs from the probe to a digital display that is kept outside the oven (or smoker). The wire is thin so oven doors still close. The brisket should be on a meat rack on a roasting pan so it doesn't stew. And check the fat runoff and suction off with a bulb (like with a turkey) if necessary.

If you do the oven method, once the brisket is done it's a good idea to let it rest (at least 20-30 minutes) before slicing (so the juices don't run. If you are done way too early you can put the brisket inside an ice chest and cover with fiol-wrap and an old towel (or equivalent) and it will stay warm for quite a while.

If you are "stressed" and want a fool-proof brisket the slow cooker is easier. It is not exactly the same as a perfectly roasted by "dry heat" brisket, but no one is going to complain--and there is basically no risk thatnit isn't going to be juicy and good.

Best wishes,

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

In case anyone is interested, brisket for breakfast is GOOD!

We had to cut our 15 pounder into two pieces as not all would fit in the slow cooker. The smaller piece was in the oven in juice at 200 degrees overnight and is absolutely tender and delicious this morning. (We couldn't smell it and NOT try it for breakfast!) I expect similar results for the larger piece in the slow cooker.

The only change to the recipe on the Pioneer Women site is we used all natural beef broth instead of consomme. The canned consomme in our store (Campbells) was loaded with "stuff" including MSG. We prefer all natural beef broth and it tastes great this morning. If I found consomme without "stuff" I'd try it just to see what the difference is.

A HEARTY THANKS!!! to all for helping us find a delicious and easy dish, both for our family and for taking to large group events!

In case anyone is interested, brisket for breakfast is GOOD!

We had to cut our 15 pounder into two pieces as not all would fit in the slow cooker. The smaller piece was in the oven in juice at 200 degrees overnight and is absolutely tender and delicious this morning. (We couldn't smell it and NOT try it for breakfast!) I expect similar results for the larger piece in the slow cooker.

The only change to the recipe on the Pioneer Women site is we used all natural beef broth instead of consomme. The canned consomme in our store (Campbells) was loaded with "stuff" including MSG. We prefer all natural beef broth and it tastes great this morning. If I found consomme without "stuff" I'd try it just to see what the difference is.

A HEARTY THANKS!!! to all for helping us find a delicious and easy dish, both for our family and for taking to large group events!

Yes, it is! Also, try brisket tacos and brisket breakfast tacos! Delish!

There weren't any leftovers (sigh), but I guess the trade off is it went over REALLY well. :D This makes a nice, tasty, easy dish to take as long as one has time to let it marinate and cook. One wouldn't even need sauce. We had some there on the side, but many people liked it without anything added.

Thanks all!

So I'm curious to hear your impressions of the differences in flavor and texture (or any other factors) between the crackpot version and the low temperature roasting. Was there a favorite method and why?

Bill

Wow, I sure hope you mean CROCKPOT version... I mean, well, we don't ALWAYS share views on life, but... :lol:

We were curious too and did blind taste tests to see if we could figure out a difference. We couldn't, BUT we're not foodies. Those with educated taste buds might be able to tell. The marinade was 100% the same - we only separated the two parts right before cooking. We expected the texture to be worse in the roaster, but honestly, we couldn't tell one from the other once they were added back to the juice. Before adding them back, the roaster version was drier since the bulk of the liquid only covered the bottom quarter of the meat vs covering the whole thing in the crockpot.

We liked the crockpot better in general because it required less liquid. If one didn't put enough of the liquid in the bottom of the roasting pan, I think the meat would have dried out even though we had it well covered with foil and the lid. (I might be wrong - just hypothesizing.)

The fat cooled off quicker in the roaster (more surface area + less internal heat from the "pot") making it quicker and easier to skim off.

So, either works and we're definitely going to be doing this again. It was very tender and tasty. Pulling it was a breeze - it fell apart just lifting it from the cookers.

Thanks a ton for your assistance!

Where have you had pulled beef brisket? Sounds like a good reason for a road trip.:)

Understand that in Texas, barbecue is its own food group, lol, so I'm all about brisket melting in my mouth. :D I just haven't heard of pulled beef, and it would be fun to check it out.

Wow, I sure hope you mean CROCKPOT version... I mean, well, we don't ALWAYS share views on life, but... :lol:

We were curious too and did blind taste tests to see if we could figure out a difference. We couldn't, BUT we're not foodies. Those with educated taste buds might be able to tell. The marinade was 100% the same - we only separated the two parts right before cooking. We expected the texture to be worse in the roaster, but honestly, we couldn't tell one from the other once they were added back to the juice. Before adding them back, the roaster version was drier since the bulk of the liquid only covered the bottom quarter of the meat vs covering the whole thing in the crockpot.

We liked the crockpot better in general because it required less liquid. If one didn't put enough of the liquid in the bottom of the roasting pan, I think the meat would have dried out even though we had it well covered with foil and the lid. (I might be wrong - just hypothesizing.)

The fat cooled off quicker in the roaster (more surface area + less internal heat from the "pot") making it quicker and easier to skim off.

So, either works and we're definitely going to be doing this again. It was very tender and tasty. Pulling it was a breeze - it fell apart just lifting it from the cookers.

Thanks a ton for your assistance!

Ha ha! :D

Crackpot is one of those "autofill" errors one gets using an iPad at times.

Thank you for the report. I'm glad for your success and am very hungry for some brisket.

Bill