Menu

Who Else is Making Their Christmas Gifts This Year?

The past 3 years we've done homemade gifts. This year we're buying the kids things...they were so amazing with homemade gifts the previous years though.

Family & friends are getting homemade jams & jellies.

I might do more homemade for the kids next year like previous years but this year I'm still pinched on time, energy & motivation after chasing ds.

That's key. I don't think there's anything inherently virtuous about handmade gifts if they're going to put stress on you. Thoughtful and joyful gifts should be the key. Sometimes that's a hand knit sweater, sometimes that's a popular computer game or dvd (I'm thinking of the times my daughter burst out in tears after receiving Oblivion, a computer role playing game and Spirited Away. Two minutes purchases in electronics stores but exactly what she wanted and MUCH loved over the years.)

I'm going with knitting because I can't stop knitting right now so it's a perfect way for me to continue with that and give some gifts. My husband can't complain too much when I bring home some $15 skein of yarn if I look at him an say, "but it's going to be a scarf for your grandmother. And it's only $15. That's pretty cheap!" :D

And remember everyone, feel free to post lists so you can track your progress and pictures so we can encourage you! I know I'm going to need the encouragement. :D

Here's a picture of the shawl (so far) I'm making for my SIL in Victoria, BC...

101_0043.jpg

Impressive, eh?:tongue_smilie:

She is my brother's widow. He died this past February and all of us here in Nova Scotia (Mom and Dad and my siblngs) flew up to be with her in Ontario. I stayed for 2 weeks to help her get packed up as she decided to move back the BC to be with her family. In the process we got very close (I even feel funny refering to her as SIL when she's truly become a sister). So the shawl will be a "hug" from those of us down east. :)

It's a garter stitch and feather-and-fan lace shawl (Multnomah for you fellow Ravelers). I picked it because it looked like waves lapping a shore line. And the blues seemed like colours you might find in the Atlantic ocean. Perfect for a gift from the East Coast branch of her family. I started it Wednesday night and hope it will be done by Sunday. I'll post finished pics once I've got it done with the ends weaved in and blocked.

A college aged niece has requested that I sew an apron for her to wear in pottery classes. She loves my homemade gifts and always sends me pottery or something she has made knowing that I equally appreciate her craftiness.

I have picked up some beautiful hand dyed wools which I think I'll turn into cabled headbands. I also bought some gorgeous linen yarn which I would like to turn into string bags, but I seem to suffer from circular need confusion. Perhaps I can figure it out now that I have an empty nest. Sniff, sniff!

I have already made blueberry jam which I put into four ounce jars for a number of small gifts. Recently my husband was given a quantity of cooking pears which became a brandied pear sauce for pancakes or ice cream. Yummy stuff.

Last year I made some of the potholders from the Amy Butler In Stitches book:

potholder.jpg

The front and the back flaps are all quilted which proves to be more time consuming than a potholder should be, but the end product is so great (especially with felted wool instead of batting) that I think I may need to sew more of these. Everybody needs a couple of decent potholders.

I need to get cracking on some of these projects so that when the Sew Mama Sew blog does its handmade holiday feature in November, I'll have time to run with some of their ideas. By the way, their archived handmade holidays are worth perusing! While most of their projects are sewing based, they do have some great recipes and downloads.

Let's keep this thread active for inspiration's sake.

Jane

I wish I knew how to sew. I'd love to make pillow cases or aprons or PJ's.

BTW, I think the men on some of your lists would probably love some flannel lounge pants.

Instead, my homemade gifts are usually of the simpler persuasion: no-sew fleece blankets, pillows and ponchos; homemade vanilla and vanilla sugar; framed cross-stitch; beaded ornaments; Knifty Knitter loom items like hats, scarves, and pieced lap blankets.

This year I'm not inspired at all but I should probably get started on some ornaments or there will be a rebellion amongst those who have come to expect them.

Oh, and my husband makes Chex mix and puts it in the those metal popcorn tins and then gives it to clients for an office snack. He's done it for years and the clients start asking about it around Thanksgiving.

He also made PVC marshmallow shooters for our nephews. The kids loved them.

Edited by m0mmaBuck
adding

How do you make them?

pillowcases are easy.

Measure the length of a finishe pillowcase you have lying around your house. If you want a pair, multiply by 2 and add 4 inches for seam allowances. Then go buy that amount of fabric.

Once you get the fabric home, wash ,dry and iron it. Fold it double with the finished edges (selvages) together. Lay your example pillowcase on top of the fabric. Cut out around the pillowcase adding about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch for seam allowance on the bottom and sides and an inch or two on the opening end for a hem.

Now if you just want to use the fabric, then stitch up the bottom, side and hem it. Or if you want to embroider it, I find it is easier to embroider before stitching the pillowcase.

Easy Peasy.

I have not decided what to make this year, but last year I made these nifty little coasters:

http://allsorts.typepad.com/allsorts/2006/11/crisscross_coas.html

My sewing skills are pretty limited, but even I could manage these. It was super fun, too, because we chose fun pairs of colors and made little sets in an assembly line. A very satisfying project.

I would like to do something with embroidery this year, maybe the corners of napkins or pillow cases, like someone else mentioned.

I finished up mine today! I made magnets: 66 magnets, 11 sets of half a dozen, however you want to look at it. Between that and the homemade bread I make every year, I think that is enough. :)

How did you make them? I bought dd some bookmark magnets at Barnes and Nobel for her birthday, and I was looking at them today thinking, "I bet I could make these for the grandparents using pics of the kids."

I'm also going to make fudge, applebutter, cocoa, and ornaments for teachers, friends and family.

Blessings!

Dorinda

I try to make some homemade gifts every year. On busy years it might just be a tin of cookies. Also breads, various cooked items.

In the past I've knitted afgans for my in-laws. I have made pickles. Embroidered pillowcases: For kids - their name or another good idea is something like "There is no place like Grandma's House" I've embroidery initials on linen napkins.

I've also made homemade Christmas cards and homemade gift tags. I've forced paperwhite bulbs as gifts. I've started rosemary and potted it up as gifts.

Some people seem to appreciate homemade gifts and some don't. I believe that if you put forth effort it is more touching than buying something. But I still what the gift to be liked too.

right now I'm in the 'just thinking' stage, but these are some of the ideas I have:

stamped tea towels - maybe one for each month, or season - http://www.designspongeonline.com/2008/07/diy-wednesdays-stamped-dishtowels.html

homemade no-sew appliqued t-shirts using heat n' bond, or fabric painted t-shirts using freezer paper stenciling. http://iammommahearmeroar.blogspot.com/ has some great freezer paper stencil ideas.

a set of canvas mats for table centerpieces http://brownpaper--packages.blogspot.com/2010/04/canvas-dropcloth-for-your-table.html

a hardware chess set for dh http://dollarstorecrafts.com/2010/09/make-a-hardware-chess-set/

photo notebooks for the kids stockings http://foursquares.squarespace.com/home/2009/4/30/photo-notebook.html

no-sew pillows http://mekhart.blogspot.com/2010/09/making-pillows.html

I've been making singed flowers http://thegregbeefamily.blogspot.com/2009/09/singed-fabric-flowers.html and just made a wreath out of them, so I might do some holiday colored pins/hair clips/wreaths for gifts.