Menu

Who Else is Making Their Christmas Gifts This Year?

I'm knitting things for most of the people on our Christmas list. I just started a shawl for my SIL and was thinking wouldn't it be nice to have a thread where we could post what we plan to do, our progress, pictures of the finished stuff, etc. to give us some encouragement and get some feedback (and because sometimes it's just nice to post what you've made and hear people say you did a good job :))

Anyone interested?

I'm knitting things for most of the people on our Christmas list. I just started a shawl for my SIL and was thinking wouldn't it be nice to have a thread where we could post what we plan to do, our progress, pictures of the finished stuff, etc. to give us some encouragement and get some feedback (and because sometimes it's just nice to post what you've made and hear people say you did a good job :))

Anyone interested?

I am knitting many of my kids gifts this year. Are you on Ravelry.com? There's a welltrained knitters group there that many knitters from here are on.

I've finished with one dolly and I'm going to put together another dolly tonight.

I'm going to try to do more homemade Christmas this year. I always make appliqued T's for my kids and I'll almost certainly do that again. I'm planning on making my mother a lunch bag - she uses old grocery bags for her lunch bag. And I'm thinking I'll make my close mama friends something... but I won't post what on the off chance one of them comes by this thread. It does seem unlikely... but they are all homeschoolers. Last year, one of my friends made all the families in our co-op beautiful calendars using illustrations from old children's books she had collected from thrift stores and a laminator. They're really cool.

I am knitting many of my kids gifts this year. Are you on Ravelry.com? There's a welltrained knitters group there that many knitters from here are on.

I've finished with one dolly and I'm going to put together another dolly tonight.

Yup. I'm in the group (but mostly lurk). :)

I have to admit I also sort of wondered what others were doing who might not be knitting and crocheting too. I love the ideas that fly around in the kind of threads.

I am making soap using their favorite brand of beer. Salsa or hot sauce also goes over well.

I would like to make my gifts this year, but am having a really hard time figuring out items for the males. I can only make hats/scarfs/gloves so often before people have too many of them. :)

What items are on your list for the males? :lurk5:

I would like to make my gifts this year, but am having a really hard time figuring out items for the males. I can only make hats/scarfs/gloves so often before people have too many of them. :)

What items are on your list for the males? :lurk5:

Food is good! One year I made the guys bunches of frozen cookies, so that they could pull a couple out of their freezer and cook them whenever they wanted.

I need to clear the random weird and probably sticky things off the kitchen table so I can work some more on dh's denim quilt. Then I'm making two dolls, one each for the kids, and possibly another smaller quilt for my grandmother. That depends whether I can find the fabric I want because the shop I was going to buy from is now three hours away; I couldn't afford to buy it before we moved.

Rosie

I am going to make some of them....

For two moms, I will TRY my best to finish up two quilts... they need the backs and edging.

For mil, I am going to TRY to get done two deluxe hand-sewn quilted Christmas stockings (she will get these at Thanksgiving dinner, I hope) with some pearls on them, etc. Very classy in the color schemes she loves. I MIGHT have their names on them, not sure.

This year for my children I am filling stockings and that's it... BUT we are having a smashing holiday party!!! lol And I hope to have the stockings filled with really special things.

And in my spare time, I will be sewing 4 women's Bethlehem costumes for our church choir.... Fun.

I do indeed love to receive handmade gifts. I would much, much, rather rec. something handmade than boughten. I honestly mean that.

For the poster who said that she can make hats and gloves but everyone has enough of those . . . I don't. Consider that a lot of ppl may have brown or black but what about red. Keep an eye out for what color coats/jackets they have and made something that matches but not necessarily the basic colors.

Now, having said all that. I don't really make anything that requires any kind of skill. I make things like a bear bubblers, balance beams, embroidery bags, jelly/jam, candy, baked goods, t shirts, scarves (not knitted!) and stuff like that.

Last year I sewed aprons for my nieces and nephew and their mother LOVED them. Also I made a personalized pillow for my infant niece and I have been thanked multiple times. So this year I will sew again. Probably cusomized pencil bags stuffed with new pencils and such since it is the middle of the school year.

I've made lots of gifts in the past....

Aprons are a big hit. And embroidering pillowcases takes next to no money, and I'd do it during TV time.

This year I'm making these for my nieces

http://reannalilydesigns.blogspot.com/2009/10/fat-quarter-drawstring-backpack.html

Making these for the babies in my life....

http://www.marthastewart.com/good-things/felt-baby-shoes?backto=true&backtourl=/photogallery/sewing-patterns-and-templates#slide_8

I made this for my dd 5

http://www.scribd.com/doc/32556275/tutu-bag

The year I was pregnant with my son, I'd wake up in the middle of the night (he was due Dec. 25, so by Thanksgiving I couldn't sleep anyway) and sew on American Girl Doll clothes in the night.

For men, make a gift basket with chex mix, fudge, beef jerky, etc.

Edited by fairfarmhand

About 5 years ago I made a car rug out of a large piece of canvas. I designed it and painted it with acrylic paints. I painted roads, driveways, store parking lots, bank drive thru's but I did not paint any buildings. I then bought wooden house blocks and painted them into the homes, buisnesses & churches. I made it for my daughter who LOVED matchbox cars and she still plays with it. Now my son (age 4) plays with it and has a great time. I wanted the houses seperate so that they could arrange the town however they wanted it.

Now, having said all that. I don't really make anything that requires any kind of skill. I make things like a bear bubblers, balance beams, embroidery bags, jelly/jam, candy, baked goods, t shirts, scarves (not knitted!) and stuff like that.

Um, what's a bear bubbler? The only thing I can think of isn't something I would have thought would be mentioned outright on this forum.

I would love to knit a hat or a sweater for someone but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to use circular needles.

I just kind of sit there staring at them.

I have watched countless videos and tutorials.

I'm just circularly challenged, I suppose :tongue_smilie:

I wish I could make a doll, also.

Are there any doll patterns that use traditional needles??

After taking a field trip to a re-created pioneer camp on the Oregon Trail last week, we're considering making replicas of the types of wooden toys pioneers had, for our family's many kids cousins. There was a station to visit at the camp with lots of great toys - a Jacob's ladder, Jumping Jiminy, catching a ball on a small cup, etc. It was amazing how much fun our kids had playing with them.

Erica in OR

About 5 years ago I made a car rug out of a large piece of canvas. I designed it and painted it with acrylic paints. I painted roads, driveways, store parking lots, bank drive thru's but I did not paint any buildings. I then bought wooden house blocks and painted them into the homes, buisnesses & churches. I made it for my daughter who LOVED matchbox cars and she still plays with it. Now my son (age 4) plays with it and has a great time. I wanted the houses seperate so that they could arrange the town however they wanted it.

Wow, what a great idea! :001_smile:

So far I have only homemade vanilla extract for my sisters in law. Have to come up with something else to add. Baking mixes in a jar, maybe?

I wish I could sew...

We baked those cute little pies in a jar last year for the Christians in our lives. I'm not sure if anyone even tried them!! Visually they were wonderful, taste wise, not so much. I still can't figure out where we went wrong. Here's the site if anyone is interested: http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/09/single-serving-pie-in-jar.html.

We also made pom pom wreaths. Those turned out great! They kind of looked like they were out of the 60's. http://whipup.net/2009/11/10/how-to-pom-pom-wreath/.

This year I'm thinking about doing sets of seasonal napkin rings, maybe using felt.

I finished up mine today! I made magnets: 66 magnets, 11 sets of half a dozen, however you want to look at it. Between that and the homemade bread I make every year, I think that is enough. :)

Post pics? :) We all need to be able to ooh and awe over stuff and have our stuff oohed and awed over for encouragement. :D

Edited by WishboneDawn

I would love to knit a hat or a sweater for someone but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to use circular needles.

I just kind of sit there staring at them.

I have watched countless videos and tutorials.

I'm just circularly challenged, I suppose :tongue_smilie:

I wish I could make a doll, also.

Are there any doll patterns that use traditional needles??

I've found free patterns for seamed, straight needle sweaters on the Bernat, Patons and Lion Brand sites. Also, on Ravelry.com if you go into the advanced search and check "sweater" and "seamed" you should get a bunch of patterns.

Okay, I'm not a crafty person at all, but I figured out how to do this and used my sewing machine to do it. My kids loved these.

I used a standard sized pillowcase and added an ample seam allowance, with the fabric doubled at the open end like it is on store bought pillowcases.

I bought novelty fabric for Christmas and made pillowcases.

We put them on the kids' pillows on the 1st day of December. I think, to them, the pillowcases marked the beginning of the holiday season.

Later I made them for other holiday months, including for the week of their birthdays (because their birthdays are in holiday months: March (St. Pat) and October (Halloween).

I did not make identical pillowcases for each child. I bought remnants or fabric on sale.

Edited by RoughCollie

Um, what's a bear bubbler? The only thing I can think of isn't something I would have thought would be mentioned outright on this forum.

I googled around but couldn't find the exact instructions I used but these are very close.http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-make-miniature-fog-machine-with-dry-ice-367702/

I used a plastic bear shaped cookie container instead of a coffee can and did not use a fan. I used a length of rubber tubing instead of the pool tube. After putting it all together, dip the end of the tube into bubble solution. It makes little smoke filled bubbles . . . and a mess all over the floor. I actually wrote up the directions to make it, included all the parts, and included a home made gift certificate for the ice. We made it together.

It was a huge hit with my then 8 or so year old.

I have every intention of making Christmas gifts. So far I have come up with quilted coaster sets for the aunts and uncles. My mom will be getting a large lap quilt. I am not sure I can make any gifts for kids they all watch when I am at sewing machine. I can knit scarfs and hats so I might add those to the list for a few of the wee one's I have. Hats are not something I am great at though. I have huge problem with making it smaller at the top, keep in mind I learned to knit from youtube.com.

On a side not I cannot believe I am making and starting to make/shop for my Christmas list. :glare:

Do you have a picture of this? it sounds interesting!

thank you! I tried googling it and just got things that are "for tobacco use only", but are never used for tobacco, if you get my drift.

oh my! :001_huh: I hadn't thought of that. When I googled I used the search terms: how to bubble dry ice rubber tube. I put them all in the bar at once.

It was really fun and we gave one to a friend who also very much enjoyed it.

Just want to add that the trouble with it is the dry ice supply. It isnt' something you can keep on hand so every time you want to use it, you have to run to the store. Some stores only sell it in a large quantity but we did find a local grocery that sells it in smaller chunks. Some one told me that a butcher shop would just sell you a small piece but I never tried it.

Edited by MomOfOneFunOne

Well - I'm making some of them.

Every year we buy animals from Heifer Fund - the kids and DH pick an animal or two, or three, and then I come up with an ornament to make to go with it.

This year we are buying Llamas - so I am making elaborate origami llamas as ornaments. Having to learn origami....

We send the ornaments and a card telling them about the donation to about 2/3rds of the people on our list. Really - only the kis in the family get something else. People have really loved it - they say they don't need any more "stuff". :)

I'll have my daughter set up the town later and I'll photograph the car rug along with instructions on how I made it.

For now, here is another project I did last year for family and it turned out SOOO good. I made photo tiles. I got the idea from this blog: http://www.remodelingthislife.com/2009/03/17/another-photo-tiles-project/

DSC_4580.jpg

One thing I added to it was I added a pretty, printed tissue paper background. The tissue paper background was pretty flowers and when I used modge podge on it, you couldn't see where the tissue paper started or stopped. It really looked nice. I then placed the photograph over that.

I loved it so much, but I never made one for myself! This year I am going to make them again but I am making them for myself also! Oh and this project is really inexpensive to make. Watch for the stands on sale at your craft store.

I usually make some handmade things every year. Depends on how inspired I get and how much time I have.

I am crocheting my Mom a lap size afghan.

I have started a tradition with the grandkids that I sew them all matching PJ's. We call them our Grammie Jammies.

I am thinking about sewing aprons for the daughters and daughters in law.

I also have to do some embroidery on Christmas stockings for my DD..I got them made last year, but didn't get the embroidery done.

That's probably all I will get time for this year.

similar to this, I made coasters using tiles. I printed out images from album covers onto iron on transfer sheets. Then iron them on the tiles and cover with a spray sealant. They fade some, but really look more antiqued that way. I did use unfinished stone type tiles, not the shiny ones. The shiny ones wouldn't work as coasters. My husband LOVES them. I used his favorite bands!

Guest TheBugsMom

Lots of the things I am giving this year will be handmade. From homemade cookies to quilts and doll clothes. I am also making everyone in my immediate family matching pj's.

I make a lot of pillowcases and use them for wrapping books for my nieces and nephews and my kids' friends. I don't do Christmas ones because my mom makes everyone a Christmas one every couple of years. I also make a bunch of extra ones to send to my DBIL who is deployed. He passes them out to all his men.

I've found free patterns for seamed, straight needle sweaters on the Bernat, Patons and Lion Brand sites. Also, on Ravelry.com if you go into the advanced search and check "sweater" and "seamed" you should get a bunch of patterns.

Wow, thanks!

I had an account but didn't know about all the advanced search options.

:lol:

The past 3 years we've done homemade gifts. This year we're buying the kids things...they were so amazing with homemade gifts the previous years though.

Family & friends are getting homemade jams & jellies.

I might do more homemade for the kids next year like previous years but this year I'm still pinched on time, energy & motivation after chasing ds.

Okay, I'm posting my list and I plan to post pics when things are done. Finished things are in red, things I'm working on now are in blue. All items will be knit. The list looks huge but knitting has been something I've been doing obsessively since my brother died in at the end of February so it's actually realistic! I have a Native friend who calls the knitting my "medicine" :)

Mom and Dad - Not sure yet

MIL - Scarf and mittens

Fil - Thrummed wool mittens (the thrumming means knitting wool roving/fleece into the mittens for additional insulation)

Both SILs - shawls

BIL - toque w/ cable spider design (he's a Spiderman fan)

brother - toque

Sister - not sure yet

brother's girlfriend - scarf and fingerless mitts

Neice - Harry Potter bag

Nephew - Harry Potter bag

Neice - not sure yet

GMIL - scarf

Guest HolidayMomma

I love making homemade Christmas presents, but I always like adding other gifts to the bunch too, when I can find them for a real good price--or sometimes even--for free! I love to search online for contests and giveaways in the months leading up to Christmas. You'd be surprised at what you can find.

For example, just today, my daughter and I entered into a contest where all you have to do is submit a photo of yourself baking, for a chance to win a 16-piece children's baking set. It's fun to participate--it gets you and your child doing things together, and it's fun because you're doing it for the chance to win a prize! A prize is a FREE present. So everybody wins!

Here is the contest for the baking set. Now that you know my secret, it will empower you to find more freebies online! And everyone will think you're extra generous this year, even though you didn't have to spend a dime on it!

Last year I sewed aprons for my nieces and nephew and their mother LOVED them. Also I made a personalized pillow for my infant niece and I have been thanked multiple times. So this year I will sew again. Probably cusomized pencil bags stuffed with new pencils and such since it is the middle of the school year.

Last year, my mom made aprons for all the grandkids, and gave them along with some kitchen utensils she bought at the dollar spot at Target. The kids all loved them. She also made little fabric drawstring bags for the kids, and my boys use them to tote their Pokemon cards around.

One SIL gave us all homemade lentil soup mix in a jar, and I really liked that.

I usually bake. Sometimes I make little loaves of banana, zucchini and apple walnut breads. Sometimes I make breakfast cookies. I've made homemade chocolates in the past, too. I'm thinking of doing something different this year, but don't know what to do, yet.

ETA: Forgot to say that I usually make 1-2 scrapbooks for certain people every year, too. Last year, I made a scrapbook of my niece and nephew for my sister and a scrapbook of all her children and grandchildren for dh's step-mom. The year before, I made a scrapbook for MIL and another sister.

Edited by thescrappyhomeschooler