Menu

Looking ahead to the next 4 years...

For various reasons, we have not covered much American History or modern history. My oldest daughter is currently in 8th grade (studying Middle Ages this year using Biblioplan, MOH and various other spines). Looking ahead to high school, I'm trying to decide what to cover and when. I don't think I want to wait until her junior/senior year to cover American history. I'd like her to have more exposure sooner than that.

So, what topics would you study for 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th? Any suggestions for curriculum? I'd prefer something that she can do somewhat independently since I will still have the younger 3 to work with. I was thinking of doing MFW high school for her...but would it work if I wanted to change the order of years?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

My favorite history curricula are TRISMS (which is more of a syllabus because it's research based and you use other sources for the research) and King's Meadow (formerly Gileskirk). I use them together but they could each be used separately. The biggest downside to TRISMS is that it lacks in American Revolutionary/Early US History (volume 3 leaves off at Colonies while volume 4 starts back up in 1850). This is one reason I'm using King's Meadow with it, though I'm using it throughout all the TRISMS volumes and not just to fill in the US History gaps because it's EXCELLENT!! The downside to King's Meadow is that not all of the 4 years are currently available. Currently Modernity and the 1st semester of Christendom are available (2nd semester of Christendom due out in December) with American Culture due out summer 2011 and Antiquity due out summer of 2012. This is because they have to record Dr Grant's lectures. You can probably find the old Gileskirk lectures used but the new teacher and student materials are GREATLY improved and IMHO worth waiting for instead of buying used. This year I'm using Gileskirk Antiquity with TRISMS Discovering the Ancient World with my 9th grader and Gileskirk Antiquity/King's Meadow Christendom (there is some overlap with this TRISMS volume) with TRISMS Expansion of Civilization and I REALLY wish King's Meadow Antiquity was out!!

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

If you're a member of the TRISMS Yahoo group, you can go to the Files area and access a "TRISMS-style" unit I wrote for U.S. History from 1750-1800. Look for "supplemental American Revolution unit for RON". I haven't gotten around to writing the 1800-1850 portion, but I plan to do that too, eventually.

Edited by ereks mom

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
If you're a member of the TRISMS Yahoo group, you can go to the Files area and access a "TRISMS-style" unit I wrote for U.S. History from 1750-1800. Look for "supplemental American Revolution unit for RON". I haven't gotten around to writing the 1800-1850 portion, but I plan to do that too, eventually.

I am and do have it. How cool to "meet" the person who wrote it!! I was planning to use it but there is more covered by American Culture and Modernity that I'm going to use them for the gap in TRISMS.