Menu

Any suggestions to help a dog who hates thunder?

Donna

Our poor little (5lb) toy fox terrier is absolutely terrified of thunder and lightning. We always know when a storm is on the way (at least 30 min prior) because she either runs and hides or stands on my feet like velcro. During the storm, she hides and pants, whines, etc...She looks like a gremlin.

The best thing I have found so far is to hold, pet, and coo to her while a storm is happening. She seems to calm a bit that way but it has to be me...no other family member works. I always feel so bad for her if I am not home during a storm.

I've had numerous dogs throughout my life but never had one like this.

Any suggestions for helping to desensitize her or calm her would be appreciated? Does anyone else have a dog like this?

Find a dark place where the poor thing feels safe and secure, usually nestled somewhere among comfy items on three sides at least. We, too, had a lab like this once. She would run to a special area with a bed under the stairs - made just for the summer monsoons!

Mary

Thank you for the suggestions. I went to the website and purchased a thundershirt...the theory behind it makes sense because she likes to squeeze into a small place (like between my thigh and the chair I am sitting in, giving herself direct pressure. I am hoping it will help her when I am not around to comfort her. I'll also try leaving some music on for her when a storm is forcast and we'll be away from home.

other thoughts as well are Rescue Remedy or other Bach's flower essences. THey soemtimes help depending on the dog.

If she is causing injury to herself then medicating might be worthwhile.

There are also soundstracks out there to help desensitive them to the sounds of thunderstorms.

And I know that the comforting seems to help her but it actually is teaching her that it is okay to feel scared about thunderstorms. Trying to go about your everyday life with her around you would be better.

The Thundershirt is a great idea so good luck there!

other thoughts as well are Rescue Remedy or other Bach's flower essences. THey soemtimes help depending on the dog.

If she is causing injury to herself then medicating might be worthwhile.

There are also soundstracks out there to help desensitive them to the sounds of thunderstorms.

And I know that the comforting seems to help her but it actually is teaching her that it is okay to feel scared about thunderstorms. Trying to go about your everyday life with her around you would be better.

The Thundershirt is a great idea so good luck there!

I'm not familiar with Thundershirt, but Rescue Remedy may help your pupper. I know people who use it for their dogs' thunder fears and others who use it when their dogs travel.

Our dog (RIP) had mild thunder fear and strong fireworks fear. One 4th of July instead of leaving her home alone I sat outside with her while everyone else went to the fireworks. She was fine. ??? And she never was scared of any of it again. That was without Rescue Remedy.