Menu

Do you sometimes feel like you're missing something

Dmmetler

When I read curriculum threads, I'm sometimes wondering if I'm somehow missing the gist of a program. For example, there are a lot of people on the various Latin threads talking about how LfC has too much memorization or is too fast moving for their DC. My 5 yr old is doing LfC A, loving it, and having NO trouble doing a lesson a week-and that's with me holding her BACK to a lesson a week.

I've seen similar complaints about Singapore Math-too fast moving, not enough review, not enough description, harder than grade level-and my DD is going through 2-3 lessons a day of 2A, at age 5-and again, I'm holding back her pace and adding more material and enrichment.

Sonlight, too-I'm using core 1/2, and I'm not finding it at ALL a problem to get the reading done or everything in.

I'm seriously wondering if I'm somehow not doing these programs correctly! Am I missing something?

That test scores give them the confidence to go out on a limb with their kids. For all the flaws in IQ testing (and there are plenty - I know), what I really like it for is when I start thinking "I'm having a really unusual experience with this material." And I have to remind myself that "oh wait, I have a really unusual kid." It doesn't tell me what to do, but it does tell me that when things seem different at our house, they may well be different - it's not my imagination or a misunderstanding.

What helps more is having a friend whose kid is similar. I have several friends with unusual kids, but one whose kid is remarkably like mine... and when she says that they found Curriculum X to be lots of fun and pretty easy, I'm usually safe in assuming that my experience will be closer to hers than to the twenty other people telling me that it's way too hard and no fun at all.

When I read curriculum threads, I'm sometimes wondering if I'm somehow missing the gist of a program. For example, there are a lot of people on the various Latin threads talking about how LfC has too much memorization or is too fast moving for their DC. My 5 yr old is doing LfC A, loving it, and having NO trouble doing a lesson a week-and that's with me holding her BACK to a lesson a week.

I've seen similar complaints about Singapore Math-too fast moving, not enough review, not enough description, harder than grade level-and my DD is going through 2-3 lessons a day of 2A, at age 5-and again, I'm holding back her pace and adding more material and enrichment.

Sonlight, too-I'm using core 1/2, and I'm not finding it at ALL a problem to get the reading done or everything in.

I'm seriously wondering if I'm somehow not doing these programs correctly! Am I missing something?

You are not missing anything. Your child is at a different place. This is one of the reasons I avoid advising people about curricular options and pacing because it really is a function of the individual child. The end result is often that people perceive parents with high ability children as being pushy and driving them to do too much at a young age when, in truth, it is a good fit for those children.

I feel the same way. There have been TWO times that we've gone completely through 2 years worth of curriculum in about 10-12 weeks (on a single subject). There are times when we meet struggles and have to slow down, though. I think most gifted children have one area that is really strong and others that are above average or normal. That's where I see our struggle most of the time, and I have to remind myself that it's ok for a child to be way. It's ok to really "get it" in one subject and be normal for another. Latin is a breeze for us. Actually, any type of language arts is a breeze. My oldest son is a visual learner, so I've heard over and over that he won't be able to spell very well, but that's not true. His spelling is just as advanced as his reading, English, and Latin. He's not as strong in math, though. My younger son is the same way... there are strengths and weaknesses, and of course, no two children are alike. If you're zipping through LfC with a 5 year old today, you could have a 2 or 3 year old come along in a few years and simply not be ready for it at 5. It doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong or skipping anything. ;)

I think it can be difficult to judge what is "typical" when you have a gifted child, you grew up in a family full of gifted individuals, and live in an area where there is a high concentration of gifted people (such as near Silicon Valley).

I can remember being shocked reading a statistic that only 3% of children entering kindergarten can read. Both my two oldest learned to read before they were kindergarten age (one at 3 3/4 and the other at 4 3/4) and so did I. About half the kids in the town where I grew up entered kindergarten able to read, and it's about the same for the town where we live now. So my perception of what is normal was rather skewed. If you had asked me to estimate the overall percentage of entering kindergartners able to read in the U.S., I probably would've guessed around 20% or more than 6 times as many as the actual figure.

I feel the same way...my 12yo is in high school and is currently writing a novel, cruising toward his Eagle in Scouts, and taking 10 credits. And he gets bored.

It is really difficult to guage where "normal" is when you have a gifted kid - they sort of form their own concept of "normal". :)

Just go with what your child is ready for, whenever they're ready - and know that there may be days when they wake up and all of a sudden are ready for the next level of a curric, or need a whole new direction. Over the years, I've actually bought books that can keep my son busy for a few weeks while I track down whatever he's ready for next - just because we've hit that point so often.

Over the years, I've actually bought books that can keep my son busy for a few weeks while I track down whatever he's ready for next - just because we've hit that point so often.

And isn't decision-making one of the most exhausting aspects of homeschooling (and the thing that keeps these boards hopping?!!! :)) It would be so nice to just order curriculum, follow the plan, and use it all year! :tongue_smilie:

It gets easier when they're old enough to direct their own studies to at least some degree.