Menu

Filing system

TheCoffeeChick

It would have worked fine if my kids went at the pace I had planned. Ds is 5 lessons ahead in math and dd is 3 lessons behind in reading. I should have realized that would become an issue while I was first filing - since I'm not too strict on how fast or slow the kids need to go. One reason we homeschool is so they can go at a pace that fits them not what I *think* they should do. ;)

Oh well. It won't take long - I'll do it while I'm watching football on Sunday afternoon. :D

I feel your anguish!

I spent yesterday afternoon pulling all the papers out and putting them in files by the book they came from. My kids also don't move at the pace I'd like. I'm fine with them working ahead if they want to.

We've started a 3 hours per day of school work, 5 days a week plan and that sometimes means they can do more in some subjects.

Now I know for next year, stick with the way we've always done it.

I spent an hour trying to find the answer keys to a math test the other day because I forgot where I filed it :blink:.

With my dd Heritage Studies I filed all the answer keys with the lesson and I keep forgetting. Before I use to put all the answer keys in a binder that had her grade on it '4th grade Answer Keys", so it's taking a little getting use to;)

We are loving the filing system. I has completely left us accountable to what has to be done. Last year, I never got to Geography/history, art or science. We are in week 2 and I got to everything last week and this week. I love it!

Me too. I am really liking the filing system, although I did not file spelling/math/grammar/writing. I also started out with the filing system color coded per child per week. But I realized after two weeks (we've been back to school for a month now) that I needed to have files by subject instead. So I did spend about half an hour pulling paperwork and reorganizing my files.

So now I have weekly files (36 files per subject) filed in my hanging folders inside my file drawer filed by subject. You could use paperclips instead but since I already had the numbered files I used them (I am using a drawer in my desk to hold the files). I only have weekly folders for History/Science/Latin for now. I plan to add in Art files next. I also have 12 month files. So my filing cabinet has the months in the beginning, then all 36 weeks of History, then Science, then Latin. The month files are for me to place Liturgical or other Seasonal type craft ideas that I seem to never get done because I am a poor planner. I always read about great ideas and then never do them because I forget about them, or they aren't printed out or if they are printed out I don't know where to put them to remind myself!!

I have a master sheet for each subject that I created from HST in which I check off when we have completed that week. This way I know which file to pull for the week. (For example, we are on week 5 of school but on week 4 for History. I can see this by looking at my master sheet).

Inside the files I don't have much right now. In history all that is in there is the student guide broken down by week for both my children. So basically their maps and coloring sheets, etc. (I can't tell you how many times last year I was pulling STOW Activity sheets and passing them out on the fly). For Science I have their notebooking sheets that came with their Apologia Astronomy notebooks. I did rip this notebook apart because we are making science binders so the sheets get hole punched and added to their binders. That way if we don't want to do everything in that Astronomy notebook, our book doesn't look half done. The binder is their completed work and they can also add their own notebook pages this way. For Latin we use Lively Latin which comes as a pdf file so that makes it easy to print up ahead of time and file into weekly folders.

This system has made it much easier for me with regards to loading their work crates (which is a modified workbox system I use) for the week. It has also helped me see where we are in those subjects that we seem to lag on at times for whatever reason. I always make sure we have Math/Grammar/Writing done, but History and Science sometimes get dropped or not as much fun because I don't have the supplies ready. So far we have been READY. I've been hs for 8 years. This is the first year I feel semi not flying by the seat of my pants. WHEW. My Ker is doing MFW-K which I did with my other two when they were K....for the first time for K I made a crate with all of her worksheets filed by week. I've been filing her books that are scheduled to read on reading day in the weekly file. This is actually what MFW recommends in their Teacher's Guide. All I want to know is why didn't I do this before????? What a help this has been even for K!!!

This doesn't have to do with filing so much but has also been a real lifesaver for me. I bought planners for my older kids (6th and 4th) and I write out their assignments on these planners which are weekly. So over the weekend, I see how we did the week before, write in their planner their assignments, pull the weekly file from my file drawer and place in their work crate into the subject hanging file (a modified workbox) and they check off their work when completed on their planner. They LOVE the planners. I LOVE the planners. They are so much more independent this way. No more, "Mom, what's next?" I have written their assignments before, but usually on a daily list. This seems to work better, especially with my filing system.

So I don't know if it's the filing system, or the workcrates, or the planners or all of the above combined, but so far this has been the best school year yet. And I added the Ker so first time HS 3 at a time for me. Just wanted to share in case that helps someone reading. I read that great big filing post over the summer and it truly helped my homeschool this year. I LOVED reading how others organized their filing system, etc.

Wow, that got long.

Kim

usually lurker so I don't have all my curriculum posted here. maybe one of these days I'll figure out how to do a siggy. :)

3dc (12, 9, almost 5)

I love it. I do have one DD who is behind on math from what I had planned, she has a huge stack of worksheets that snowball from week to week. I didn't file her math for the entire year, so I'm looking forward to her getting to the end of her worksheets so she can catch up.

But besides that, it's been really helpful to have everything in one place. I transfer all their papers to their clipboards at the beginning of the week, and when their clipboards are empty, they're done. My son, who has always been my biggest challenge, will do extra work so he can get done early (and hasn't noticed yet that sometimes I'll slip a few extra pages on there!).

My biggest frustration in homeschooling has always been not being able to find something when I need it, and this has taken that (mostly) away.

I am annoyed with the filing system because it keeps reminding me that i actually HAVE to do school work each day or we will get behind LOL. Im pregnant and super bored and tired and feel like being a blob all day... And the last thing i want to do is track the kids down to get them to do math and grammar LOL.... So i guess it's working well this year. It's certainly keeping me on track, and i want to be on track so i can take a month off when the baby comes. I just don't feel like doing the work each day.

If i hadn't filed, we would be so far behind already, which means we would end up working through the summer again (which we REALLY don't want to do!)

But i still get grumpy when i come down each day and see those files sitting there reminding me of my job.:D

I am annoyed with the filing system because it keeps reminding me that i actually HAVE to do school work each day or we will get behind LOL. Im pregnant and super bored and tired and feel like being a blob all day... And the last thing i want to do is track the kids down to get them to do math and grammar LOL.... So i guess it's working well this year. It's certainly keeping me on track, and i want to be on track so i can take a month off when the baby comes. I just don't feel like doing the work each day.

If i hadn't filed, we would be so far behind already, which means we would end up working through the summer again (which we REALLY don't want to do!)

But i still get grumpy when i come down each day and see those files sitting there reminding me of my job.:D

Melanie, I feel the same way. There have been many days since dh went back to work (he teaches) that I have wanted to cancel school, but the files are sitting there staring at me. :lol: I am very glad I have it because we would have slacked so much, yet that is not what I know I want for our school year. So, it has been a good thing even though it's not letting me slack off!

Melanie, I feel the same way. There have been many days since dh went back to work (he teaches) that I have wanted to cancel school, but the files are sitting there staring at me. :lol: I am very glad I have it because we would have slacked so much, yet that is not what I know I want for our school year. So, it has been a good thing even though it's not letting me slack off!

For me, filing is more to help me get organized. I just think it's neat that we file for different reason :D. I'm still getting use to everything in crates. I'll have to report back in a few more months.

Edited by Homeschooling6

For me, filing is more to help me get organized. I just think it's neat that we file for different reason :D. I'm still getting use to everything in crates. I'll have to report back in a few more months.

That is definitely a big factor for me too - this is the first year I feel organized and feel like I know what we're doing - not only today but for the week and overall for the year. So, it's definitely good on that level. The pregnancy has added an extra dimension to it all so it's also been a lifesaver in terms of helping me get school done each day.

Don't get me wrong - as an organizational freak, I love my beautiful crate full of color coordinated files. No matter how much I want it to, it just doesn't work for our family. :(

It's a great system to make sure I get everything done each day that I had planned, but I've got to do something different. Perhaps I can keep the files and sort by subject rather than by week. That way we can go at our own pace and still have my pretty box. ;)

The only reason I decided to leave the binder method is that I don't like to have to open and close the binders.

Don't get me wrong - as an organizational freak, I love my beautiful crate full of color coordinated files. No matter how much I want it to, it just doesn't work for our family. :(

It's a great system to make sure I get everything done each day that I had planned, but I've got to do something different. Perhaps I can keep the files and sort by subject rather than by week. That way we can go at our own pace and still have my pretty box. ;)

The only reason I decided to leave the binder method is that I don't like to have to open and close the binders.

This is how I filed. I'm not sure if I'm considered a true filer (if that's a word:glare:) I'm still getting use to it. My problem is, I'm such a scatter brain (another word for unorganized) that I think keeping the workbooks intact might have been better. I do like that when Friday comes around (my lesson planning day) I don't have to pull out tons of books, now I pull out a file folder with subjects. I don't know, time will tell:D

Edited by Homeschooling6

My file crate is the first thing that has actually worked for me! I've tried several other systems, and they just didn't work out. I was a failure at workboxes! But the filing crate and weekly plans keep me on task, helps us get everything done, and keeps it all easily accessible.

I love that there are so many ideas here, even though they aren't one-size-fits-all.

We're loving the filing sytem but we do have some small adjustments to make to it next year.

I won't be filing reading at all. Glad I didn't do it this year. However I penciled it into my scheduler and next year I won't do that! Let them go at the pace they are comfy with!

However I love that we filed math! MAN I am so happy that we know what we need to get done....

I think knowing our goals by such and such month...but not daily goals is more realistic...and this year I had it daily done....won't do that again!

I do like that it only takes MINUTES to pull out of the filing system and put into my weekly folders...however I am DRAGGING on the workboxes. It's too much somedays and useless many....but in the beginning it was GREAT..but now we're super laid back and grabbing folders is easier..however we did like grabbing the workboxes and taking them outside and had everything we needed in the workboxes for that school day...so it's a love and dislike relationship with those :p The kids however LOVE the workboxes..and for that we'll stick with them.

The filing system is working GREAT over here! I absolutly LOVE it. My favorite part? Throwing out stuff we didnt get to during the week! And the kids love that part too! I dont know its just sooo easy! If only I could get in more than 2-3 days a week! The last month has been crazy! But we just work through our binders for 5 days and call it a week. :) Thanks WTM boards for showing me the filing system!

Catholicmom had to laugh at the: "I am annoyed with the filing system because it keeps reminding me that i actually HAVE to do school work each day or we will get behind LOL. Im pregnant and super bored and tired and feel like being a blob all day... And the last thing i want to do is track the kids down to get them to do math and grammar" That was hilarious! And exactly what its done to me too!