Menu

Mental health forum?

elise1mds

Does anyone know of a good one? I'm about at my wits' end with both kids.

My son has reverted back to many of the behaviors he had when he was first diagnosed. I know it's because he gets anxious especially around his sister, which causes his ADHD to flare, which causes him to be impulsive and get in trouble, which causes him to fear getting in trouble, which causes his anxiety to flare, which causes his ADHD to flare, which... you get the idea. I'm doing the good ol' CBT methods we used for him originally, but he may have to go back on medication if we can't get my daughter to settle down. She's been on Lexapro for 2 1/2 weeks now. It helps her have fewer fits (only three since she's started taking it!), but now she's manic. I'm not sure if it's a good trade or not. I thought it was, but then last night she said things to me that made me contemplate checking her into a psych facility, and I'm not joking. She's 5, and that's scary.

Anyway, I need a good place to share, vent, and know that I'm not alone. This board is helpful, but it's not quite the same thing, KWIM?

TIA :)

I can't remember everything with your kids but I would call the psychiatrist ASAP in the morning--even emergency line tonight if things get bad--concernting your daugther.

You said she is only 5 but at 5 my now 15 year old was suicidal and homicidal and hallucinating. NOT a good thing............all from a n antidepressant. If she is not manic, I would call the doctor and see about a MOOD STABILIZER instead of an AD. You don't mention the scary stuff but I can about imagine.

I would check out http://www.bpkids.org. They have some forums/email loops, etc. I don't know if you are dealing with bipolar or not but the depression and now mania would qualify you. The boards might have a fee but if it is at all an issue, just let them know and they will waive the fee.

Again, call the doctor tomorrow and make sure the person you talk to know this is an emergency. Not to scare you but if you can't get help that way, you can go to the intake of the mental health hospital if needed.

Feel free to email or pm me.

The pdoc suspects bipolar, but he wants to rule out everything else because of her young age. He'll come around. I'm pushing but not to the point where he starts to think *I'M* the problem. I'm definitely in contact with him as needed, and he's good about returning e-mails promptly. If I thought she had the capability to act on any of her thoughts, I'd be a lot more concerned. As it is, I'm keeping a record of these things to bring in when we go back in a couple of weeks, and I'm making sure all lines of communication are open. The other 'bonus' of her being 5 is that she hasn't completely locked me out, so she tells me things and we talk.

I'll check out bpkids. I appreciate the link and thoughts :)

The pdoc suspects bipolar, but he wants to rule out everything else because of her young age. He'll come around. I'm pushing but not to the point where he starts to think *I'M* the problem. I'm definitely in contact with him as needed, and he's good about returning e-mails promptly. If I thought she had the capability to act on any of her thoughts, I'd be a lot more concerned. As it is, I'm keeping a record of these things to bring in when we go back in a couple of weeks, and I'm making sure all lines of communication are open. The other 'bonus' of her being 5 is that she hasn't completely locked me out, so she tells me things and we talk.

I'll check out bpkids. I appreciate the link and thoughts :)

I agree with Ottakee. Don't wait about the behavior being caused by the meds.

I can't remember b/c the list is too long, but I think it was Lexapro that had our ds sitting in a corner carving drawings into his arm. This was after he mentioned how the med was making him feel detached and "strange."

These meds are not meant for children and how they react on kids is unpredictable. Do not think your dd *can't* do something b/c she is 5 b/c it wouldn't be her......it would be the meds.

Do not think your dd *can't* do something b/c she is 5 b/c it wouldn't be her......it would be the meds.

I have to agree here. I had a foster child who was THREE, almost 4, that unbuckled and tried to get out of our van while we were going 55mph down the road as he wanted to "make me dead". I would be providing eyes on supervision, locking up any meds, knives, etc. and calling the doctor.

I would be providing eyes on supervision, locking up any meds, knives, etc.

Did all that a long time ago :glare: before we started on meds and she got mad at me and decided to try to eat an entire tube of toothpaste. I had DH go to the store the next evening and picked up three lockboxes and locked everything up. She has no idea where the keys are, and neither does her brother (because she's very good at persuading him to do things for/with her).

I'm gonna e-mail the doctor tomorrow after I talk to her teacher about any problems during class, so I can give him a full report about all aspects of her life. Thanks, y'all :)

I just want to say that you can vent anytime. This is the place and I am sorry to hear your struggles. Your son sounds like mine. I am just learning about all of this. My son is 6 and seems to have ADHD and anxiety and anger issues. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I hope you find a moment of peace, hope and rest in the days ahead and that you can find a fresh breath to sustain you.