Menu

Did you need a guide to help you with Homer?

mo2

I read Lattimore's The Iliad and I used a guide with it. I was glad I did, it made a difference in my comprehension of the book. For The Odyssey I didn't use the guide was much. I was more familiar with the story of Odysseus however and that might have been the difference.

Thanks. Will you share the name of the guide you used? And why did you choose the Lattimore translation? I was thinking of going with Fitzgerald. Do you think it is important to use the same translator for both, or is it okay to mix and match, ie, Lattimore for The Iliad and Fitzgerald for The Odyssey?

Thanks. Will you share the name of the guide you used? And why did you choose the Lattimore translation? I was thinking of going with Fitzgerald. Do you think it is important to use the same translator for both, or is it okay to mix and match, ie, Lattimore for The Iliad and Fitzgerald for The Odyssey?

This is the guide I used. I think it was the one recommended in LCC. At the time I started reading Drew's Iliad guide was not available.

I loved Lattimore's wording of the Iliad. I bought Fitzgerald for The Odyssey and started it and surprisingly didn't like at all. I picked up Lattimore's Odyssey and it made a huge difference for me. There were some recent conversation on various translations and opinions were mixed. I'd probably go to the bookstore and read through a few translations to get a feel for what appeals to you.

DD and I are studying Homer this semester. We were already very familiar with the stories of the Iliad and Odyssee from several prose retellings which we have as books and CDs - something I would definitely recommend before attempting to read the epics.

We have then read through the Iliad without any guidebook, and now that we are done we are listening to the Teaching Company lectures by Elizabeth Vandiver which are absolutely wonderful and have us hooked. They make us want to go back and re-read certain sections after the lecture.

We are reading the Fitzgerald translation which does not try to reproduce the original meter- but is very readable.

OK, now I'm having trouble. I can't find the Lattimore translation of The Iliad on Amazon. I find the Fitzgerald translation, but I can't find a guide to it. Any advice?

This is the edition I used. Goodness, I think I found mine on paperbackswap. I didn't pay 25.00 that's for sure.

Ah, here's an in stock copy for 9.80.