Menu

My dh is getting me horseback riding lessons for my birthday!!

I am very excited! I haven't riden a horse in about 20 years. Now, my question is: Are there certain things to ask/look for when calling instructors?

I'm starting these lessons in the hope that I will have a horse (or a horse and a pony rather, I know they need a horsey "friend") sometime next Spring/Summer. We have the room, now I just need the knowledge.

Yay!

What a great gift!! We were there 5 years ago and now have a farm and two horses! Hoping to add 2 more this year (boarders) that we can play with...

First thing is safety, it's ideal to find yourself a helmet that will last you a good long time and fits properly, I had to search around to get a good fit, for me Charles Owen was the one, I took a fall last month and that helmet protected my head from major injury!

There are many good stables, I would ask them to have you come out and watch them teach a lesson, you learn quite a bit from that...we chose a facility that leaned towards natural horsemanship (Parelli, Clint Anderson, Stacy Westfall...you can look them up on youtube and learn quite a bit about this amazing nothing new concept)...we wanted a relationship with our horses, did not plan on competing just enjoyed doing ground games and working towards dressage (great exercise for both horse/rider)...we saw a few stables that were not communicators with their horses but commandos shouting orders...not an environment for me....

Watch a lesson and watch carefully how they use their tools, watch the horse's eyes/head...if he's holding his head up high with a stiff neck, he's not happy, he's confused, or he's not buying it... if his eyes are 'hard' and not 'soft' he's building up some adrenaline..which under the wrong instruction can be a bad thing...if they look relaxed and responsive...you got a winner! :)

Tara

How exciting! Happy Birthday too! There are so many things to look for when starting to ride. As for the clothing...yes, a good, not used, helmet is the most important thing. A higher priced helmet does not always mean a better helmet. I have heard that Tipperary makes a helmet that is rated number one for safety and it's not expensive at all. Troxel is another less expensive brand that is rated well. You need a boot with a small heel too. Breeches are always most comfortable to ride in but not needed at the beginning. As for barns and lessons.....whenever I look for a place for my daughter the most important thing I look for is an instructor with experience. Sounds silly but you would not believe how many barns have inexperienced instructors. I would look for an adult and I would go, unannounced, to a lesson to watch. Check to see if the particular barn you are interested in has a website. Also, expensive lessons don't always mean good instruction. Make sure the horses look healthy, that they're not head bobbing (which means lameness) and that the tack (saddles, bridles) look like they are in good shape. You can tell if a horse is happy or miserable by what their ears are doing. If they are pinned to their heads then you know that they are so not into their jobs and are probably lesson sour....good lesson horses are very hard to come by and very often they are used in lesson after lesson day after day. Also, make sure that the length of your lesson means actual riding time. Many barns use the tacking and untacking time as part of the lesson and I don't agree with that.

A good helmet is a MUST. I have both Tipperary and Troxel. Just make sure it fits well and you use it!

Think about what type of riding you want to do. Do you want to show, trail ride, do arena work, reining, speed, or ???? Western or English style or both? Do you need very basic lessons and want them to include basic horse handling, tacking/untacking, ground work, etc or just riding?

I have had good luck with local 4H leaders giving riding lessons. They don't have a string of riding lesson horses that only do lessons but rather they give lessons on their own personal horses that are beginner safe but also do a lot more than just beginner lessons so the horse isn't "sour" from only doing lessons. My instructor works with me mostly on my confidence level and we do things like arena work, go trail riding together, etc.

Depending on where you live, you might need a place with an indoor arena for winter riding.......or like us, ride outside in the snow as long as the footing is good.

If you are considering BUYING a horse (or 2) in the future, I would make sure that you also link up with local horse people and pick their brains on basic horse care, feeding, farrier, vet expenses, signs of illness/injury, where to buy hay/feed, etc. and on and on. We have a lot of local used tack sales where you can buy clothing, boots, tack, as well as basic barn supplies at a discount. I would stick with a NEW helmet though and have one that fits each rider in the family.

Have fun. I went out with another mom yesterday for a 4 mile trail ride and had a great time just chatting and relaxing.

[

Thank you for the replies. I hadn't even *thought* about a helmet, lol! Duh. Also, do lessons give me the go-ahead to buy "cowboy" (western) boots (please say I must, lol!)? I've been eyeing some at Runnings for awhile, but couldn't justify them, lol.

I think the boots depend on what type of riding you will be learning. My kids were learning English riding, and they needed riding boots (I got them paddock boots, not expensive). I'm no expert, but I thought I read that western/cowboy boots slip, so that may not be what you want to get. Check with your instructor.

Also, (I think you're the one?), consider your new condition. If you're feeling sick it might not be so much fun to be up on a horse.

But I'm jealous, I'd love to learn! Have fun!