Menu

vacuums: is Dyson still considered top of the line?

Here's the situation:

We now have a non-shedding dog, even though we're all allergic to it. My old Kenmore vacuum (25yo) was doing a fine job until some part broke and it now does a half job. Our central vacuuming is not reliable, sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't. I need something new, as we cannot be exposed to dog dandruf and dust at the same time. This house needs vacuuming !

Two people in the house also have asthma, so dust in the air from vacuuming with the old machine is being a problem.

I was thinking about going with a Dyson, based on posts here from a few years ago, but now I'm wondering if Dyson really lived up to its advertising, and whether there's something new out there.

The Dyson DC26 is what I have in mind . http://www.english.dysoncanada.ca/store/product.asp?product=DC26-WOODWOOL

We have no carpet, but I do need to vacuum the sofas since the dog is allowed on them in the evening.

I have the DC28 - the purple one. I love it. I rinse my filter about once every three months, and it works like new every time. I have a labrador that sheds small puppies, and the Dyson does a fantastic job getting all of the dog hair.

That said, when we bought ours, there weren't as many options on the market as there are today. You might be able to find something that works just as well, at a cheaper price. :)

I have the DC28 - the purple one.

I have the purple one, too. It has lasted, so far, for 4 or 5 years, with nary a problem. It does a great job and unlike every other vacuum cleaner I've owned, it doesn't break. I also like not having to change those rubber band things, that it doesn't need a bag, and that it has an attachment for stairs.

These are my options right now:

Dyson vx Miele

What intrigues me is the length of the hose!? 26 feet??? We have few outlets in the house, so I need a long 'reach', either with the power cord or the hose, it doesn't matter. For example, the power outlet I need to use for the bathroom is in my bedroom, on the opposite wall. There are no outlet in the corridor. But what's a superstretch hose like???

Sometimes I think we are the only people in America who hate our Dyson. No one likes the long cord that has to be manually rewound and it is always getting clogged up. I took it in to be repaired and the repairman said our model (dust/allergy one) shows up at his shop a lot.

Dh told me a few weeks ago to buy a canister vac, so I went to Sears and bought their Intuition. It's fine, but I wish I would have thought of Miele and sought one out (you are right on, easygoer!). I think that's what I have in India and it works very well.

I really encourage you to look at the air quality specific features of the Miele. They specialize in sealed-construction and dust-free operation.

Dyson has a bigger following, Miele is a little obscure in the US, and Dysons are nice machines that boast great suction.

For an allergy sufferer, I would not go bagless myself.

(The Miele dusting brush attachment also rocks my world. If you have blinds, you'll wonder where it's been all your life ;-)

ETA: Of the two, my Miele has held up much better, but when we separated my husband got custody of the Dyson (that's when I discovered and bought the Miele) and he takes lousy care of stuff.

Sometimes I think we are the only people in America who hate our Dyson. No one likes the long cord that has to be manually rewound and it is always getting clogged up. I took it in to be repaired and the repairman said our model (dust/allergy one) shows up at his shop a lot.

:iagree:I hated our Dyson, it constantly clogged up (we had a lot of pets then) and the repair shop said about half their business was repairing Dyson's.

Now we have a Miele. Best vacuum I've ever owned, by a mile. It's the only vacuum I've ever owned that really truly cleans hard floors. They're expensive but they last forever; a friend of mine bought a well-used Miele 2nd hand, and at 10+ years old it still works perfectly.

Jackie