Menu

TruthQuest vs. MOH....Thoughts?

smilesonly

Could someone please compare these two? We own MOH 2 (book) and my dc is just okay with it. Just putting up with it, but I was hoping for a little more interest.

One concern I have re TQ, is whether we would be able to find books at our library or ILL.

Thanks-all of the reviews I've read are for younger dc-mine is an 8th grader.

:001_smile:

Truthquest is just a book list with a little bit of commentary. Nothing at all like MOH which is mostly text and activities with a bit of a book list thrown in. I found Truthquest pretty useless for us because we don't have a good library, but I think it would be great for someone that either has lots of money to spend on buying the books or has a really good library. If your library isn't very good, you may be frustrated by the program.

Truthquest is just a book list with a little bit of commentary. Nothing at all like MOH which is mostly text and activities with a bit of a book list thrown in. I found Truthquest pretty useless for us because we don't have a good library, but I think it would be great for someone that either has lots of money to spend on buying the books or has a really good library. If your library isn't very good, you may be frustrated by the program.

Thank you, Meagan.

We do have a good library and have had success with ILL.

Anyone else??:D

Could someone please compare these two? We own MOH 2 (book) and my dc is just okay with it. Just putting up with it, but I was hoping for a little more interest.

One concern I have re TQ, is whether we would be able to find books at our library or ILL.

I don't have the Middle Ages book, but I do have all the younger level books and on of the US history upper level.

Generally there are spines you can use, so you don't have to run down every book.

Let me back up. Think of TQ as a timeline broken out in outline form. It lists books for each point on the timeline. Sometimes it is for more the generic topic (Civil War) and if you go farther down that branch of the outline it covesr more specific topics (battles and people). How much you cover, at what pace and to what depth on the outline is your choice. There are a TON of books listed.

It does have the occasional point on the outline that will include activity book recommendations, but it is up to you to schedule that into your day.

There are several writing assignments in each book, but guess is about 5-8 total in the upper level books and 3-6 in the lower level books.

Timeline work would be easy to work in because you just do a figure for each point on the outline you choose to cover. Activities and mapping will be the more challenging part.

Without knowing your dd better it would be hard to say what is a good choice. Volume 2 is heavy on church history, so if you dd just isn't into church history then you will continue to have problems. Is your dd a hands on learner? Visual? Auditory?

My kids are hands on learners, with my oldest also being heavily auditory. My plan is to get the audios and let them listen while working on projects (paper dolls, punch out models, stain glass (the plastic type), ect...). Then my oldest is also going to read Guerber becuase she loves the story feel to her books, so those will keep her interest even through they don't play to her strengths. Guerber, BTW is usually one of the spines for TQ.

Heather

I'm using MOH 1 as a spine with TQ as supplemental this year, for 6th and 8th graders. But I mainly use TQ for the commentary and for the Thinkwrite questions. I like the thoughts she spurs in those, and if all goes well when we do Greece (we're finishing up Egypt right now and have had a great time!), I'll probably get another guide and continue.

I used booklists from Sonlight, Winter Promise, Illuminations and Diana Waring to decide what to purchase in regards to extra history and for literature. I did check the TQ lists after that. If a book came up on two or more of those lists, I knew it was probably a "don't miss." I tend to really like Sonlight's selections for literature and reading, so I started there.

If I was going to have the kids do a special project, we might use the TQ list and go to the library and see what we could find--we don't have a huge library though, though our ILL system is pretty good here, so I probably could find something.

Hope you can figure out what will spark some interest for your dc! Merry :-)

Let me back up. Think of TQ as a timeline broken out in outline form. It lists books for each point on the timeline. Sometimes it is for more the generic topic (Civil War) and if you go farther down that branch of the outline it covesr more specific topics (battles and people). How much you cover, at what pace and to what depth on the outline is your choice. There are a TON of books listed.

It does have the occasional point on the outline that will include activity book recommendations, but it is up to you to schedule that into your day.

There are several writing assignments in each book, but guess is about 5-8 total in the upper level books and 3-6 in the lower level books.

Timeline work would be easy to work in because you just do a figure for each point on the outline you choose to cover. Activities and mapping will be the more challenging part.

Without knowing your dd better it would be hard to say what is a good choice. Volume 2 is heavy on church history, so if you dd just isn't into church history then you will continue to have problems. Is your dd a hands on learner? Visual? Auditory?

My kids are hands on learners, with my oldest also being heavily auditory. My plan is to get the audios and let them listen while working on projects (paper dolls, punch out models, stain glass (the plastic type), ect...). Then my oldest is also going to read Guerber becuase she loves the story feel to her books, so those will keep her interest even through they don't play to her strengths. Guerber, BTW is usually one of the spines for TQ.

Heather

Thanks, Heather.

Your explanation actually matches what the TQ website has as a visual.

I thought this period in history would be good, as my dd hasn't really had much Church history. She thinks it's boring, but she really isn't a history lover. I think anything would be boring.;)

As for her learning style-she is well rounded in the three common areas.

I'm using MOH 1 as a spine with TQ as supplemental this year, for 6th and 8th graders. But I mainly use TQ for the commentary and for the Thinkwrite questions. I like the thoughts she spurs in those, and if all goes well when we do Greece (we're finishing up Egypt right now and have had a great time!), I'll probably get another guide and continue.

I used booklists from Sonlight, Winter Promise, Illuminations and Diana Waring to decide what to purchase in regards to extra history and for literature. I did check the TQ lists after that. If a book came up on two or more of those lists, I knew it was probably a "don't miss." I tend to really like Sonlight's selections for literature and reading, so I started there.

If I was going to have the kids do a special project, we might use the TQ list and go to the library and see what we could find--we don't have a huge library though, though our ILL system is pretty good here, so I probably could find something.

Hope you can figure out what will spark some interest for your dc! Merry :-)

Thanks, Merry, that is also helpful.:001_smile:

Thanks, Heather.

Your explanation actually matches what the TQ website has as a visual.

I thought this period in history would be good, as my dd hasn't really had much Church history. She thinks it's boring, but she really isn't a history lover. I think anything would be boring.;)

As for her learning style-she is well rounded in the three common areas.

My 2nd dd is that way, by nature. Very Eeyore. Given she wouldn't like anything I do I try to keep it to a minimum and allow her to do crafts while she listens as long as comprehension is there.

Every now and then I catch her accidentally enjoying herself, oops! :D School is just something to get done in her book, no matter what I use and how fun I try to make it.

Heather

Just wanted to add that we are using TQ American History for Young Students to direct us through. We have a very small library but I have been able to find more than enough of the books. To give you an example, one of the books she recommended for Lewis & Clark is "Lewis and Clark expedition and 21 activities. We have been in this book for 2 weeks now and will probably finish up sometime next week. I would never have found all these wonderful projects otherwise. You can go as deep as you like and spend as much time on something as you like or just cover something lightly and move on. She does give you a few spine recommendations if you want to have them handy but they are not necessary. She also stresses that if you can't find the exact books it is ok. Use what you have. We are enjoying it!

Just wanted to add that we are using TQ American History for Young Students to direct us through. We have a very small library but I have been able to find more than enough of the books. To give you an example, one of the books she recommended for Lewis & Clark is "Lewis and Clark expedition and 21 activities. We have been in this book for 2 weeks now and will probably finish up sometime next week. I would never have found all these wonderful projects otherwise. You can go as deep as you like and spend as much time on something as you like or just cover something lightly and move on. She does give you a few spine recommendations if you want to have them handy but they are not necessary. She also stresses that if you can't find the exact books it is ok. Use what you have. We are enjoying it!

Thank you! This is encouraging!:001_smile: