Menu

If your child needed to work as indepedently as possible..

3babiesmommy

What would you use? To make a very long story short, dd 9 and I can't work together. She is on the waiting list at 2 different private schools and PS is not an option for us. I need suggestions for something we can use with very little teaching. I know this might sound awful, but unfortunately it is the reality around here these days. We have done CLE Reading and Math in the past, both of which she didn't like. To be fair though, I think I had her at a grade level too high for the reading and she has never liked any of the 556 math programs we have tried, so CLE was no different:). I do think she learned from it though. I am not opposed to CLE, but am also looking for opinions on ACE, Lifepacs, SOS, or anything else for that matter. Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure if you mean all subjects or what. My 5th grade son uses these completely independently:

- Saxon Math 6/5 (although he is very good at math)

- Spelling Workout F

- Latin for Children A (well, almost independently. I oversee a bit, but not much)

We also tried Singapore Math and Math Mammoth. I think they are great programs, but he didn't do as well independently. But I don't know if it was maybe because he'd been using Saxon for 5 years in school and the other two were so different.

I'm so sorry you're having a hard time. Hope you find a curriculum that works for this situation!

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Is the K12 Cyber Academy free in Texas? You can join and withdraw at any time. It is basically public school at home, there is even a teacher who calls a few times a week. You would just be the parent supervising to make sure she does her work.

Thanks ladies! Keep the suggestions coming:). I forgot to mention that we tried BJU distance learning a couple of years ago and I thought it would be perfect:). Alas, several hundred down the drain... I will look into the K12 thing, thanks! I think I will also have her do the ACE diagnostic testing today too.

You've probably already done this, but I would do some serious thinking about WHY you're having this problem. If it's beyond normal discipline problems or you being overtired and grouchy (btdt, hehe), then I would start looking at medical problems with her. Again, I assume people have already said that to you, but I'll say it anyway.

Thanks again ladies:) I have been looking at ACE samples and she took some diagnostic tests today and I think we are going to try that route.

To OhElizabeth- Thank you for your concern, I do appreciate it! There are definitely medical problems (ADHD at the least) and we are keenly aware of them. We are dealing with them and have been for years, but the fact is that school must go on, and we are finally to the point where something has to change for the sake of the entire family. We really do think school would be the best option, but since that is not an option at the moment, we are trying to find the next best thing.