Menu

About curly hair products and my hair falling out...

BMW

I recently posted about hair loss... it's a big challenge for me right now, but it will be a couple weeks before I get in to the Dr.

In the meantime, I keep wondering about the product recommendations and about how I manage my hair... it's very curly. Not the tightest curls you've ever seen, but very curly! I have to put hair products in or it will be a frizzy mess and stand out and up and wave to the world. Well, not as bad now that it is so thinned out. If I don't use hair products, I have to braid it to feel good about my appearance...

So, if YOU had hair loss and curly hair, what would you use on it? Right now I use curly hair mousse by Tres emme, I think.

Thanks!

Products that have worked for my thinning (probably due to stress, pre-diabetes, thyroid or adrenal issues):

Budget friendly:

Totally Twisted conditioner

Loreal HydroGloss

Umberto Curl Enhancing Lotion

Samy Curl Constructor

Not-so-budget friendly:

Ouidad conditioner

Ouidad heat and humidity gel

Again, sorry that you're going through this. :grouphug:

I strongly believe that hair loss is mostly internal - related to diet, iron levels, hormones, stress, etc. I also believe that with changes, all will be better.

My hair is very frizzy and I have gone through periods of hair loss. Once I started taking some supplements - which I mentioned in my previous thread - as well as only washing my hair once a week (since conditioning would lead to more hair loss), I noticed improvement. Also, as you know, try to avoid Pantene.

Massage your scalp with a mixture of essential oils for at least 7 months. Add 8 drops each of Rosemary, Thyme, and Lavender essential oils to 8 ounces of shampoo. Pour a small amount of the mixture into your hands and rub it into your hair, gently massaging your scalp. Let the mixture sit for three minutes and rinse thoroughly. My mom does this every time she shampoos.

OR

Frederic Fekkai More Nighttime Follicle Boosting Treatment from sephora.com or from amazon

The niacin-derived compounds stimulate blood flow and activate cell receptors that influence hair growth. After applying these compounds for 6 months, 69 percent of women with hair loss saw significant increases in fullness.

Try to Avoid:

• Commercial shampoos or rinses with artificial colors, preservatives, and dyes

• Harsh chemical products and hair spray

Try to:

• Use the most natural hair products you can find.

• Look for ingredients such as biotin, silica. aloe vera gel, vitamins C and E, jojoba oils, chamomile, marigold, ginseng, or passionflower. Most health-food stores carry a variety of natural hair care products.

I started using the Nioxin products. It doesn't matter if its for curly hair or not. I lose enough hair a day to make a barbie wig, I use the Nioxin shampoo twice a week and then my curly hair shampoo twice a week. This has helped greatly. There are other shampoos for to help with hair loss but this one is easily available close to me. Hope you find something that works for you and that the dr. doesnt' say its anything serious.

• 6 months later...
Guest Matt01

There are so many hair products for curly hairs in market today that will offer an individual with fantastic styling opportunities. It is always better go for chemical free hair products, as chemicals are not good for hairs. Internet is the best place to find them.

I don't have any product advice, but someone on this board recently rec'd kelp supplements (for iodine) for thyroid symptoms, and I've been having good results. The biggest improvement has been in mental focus and lack of fatigue, but I think the hair loss is starting to improve as well. Worth a shot if you haven't tried it.

Negin, can you clarify what you mean by conditioner leading to more hair loss? Do you just mean b/c you are doing one more thing to your hair, or is it something about the conditioner in particular?

growing up I had to have a perm to have curly hair-my natural hair was straight as a board----but after having baby or getting older that's changed-I haven't had a perm since 1989 and my hair is curly LOL not tight curl but looks like I have a loose perm in it LOL....I go through hair loss every now and then and have very thin hair (genetics) sometimes when my iron is low my hair loss will be worse than "normal".......I rarely use hair products--I don't go out much so I don't really bother with my hair except when I'm in the mood so then I only use mouse/hairspray----I have tried the tresemme' vitamin shampoo (Bvitamins) that's supposed to help that.....not sure if it worked LOL.....good luck...... :grouphug:

I don't have any answers about hair loss. But for frizz I have found that putting a small amount of oil in my hair works better than any mousse or gel. I started rubbing my hands in my hair after styling my AA dd's hair. I only use organic, petroleum free products in her hair. Just wiping my hands over the ends of my hair really tamed it. My hair stylist also only uses Moroccan Oil on her clients hair. She can blow dry my hair straight only using that oil and it will stay board straight for days.

I have ultra curly hair, and I have gone through a period of hair loss. Also, the hair that stayed looked pretty dry and straw-like. My hair loss wasn't obvious because I have lots of hair, but here's what has helped me:

- stopped using mainstream shampoo and conditioner

- steep a tea of hibiscus flowers before each shower ( I use a pinch or two of dried, chopped hibiscus flowers in about 2 cups of hot (not boiling) water ); strain when color is dark red (it does not stain my hair, but I'm also not blond) ; I bring the cup into the shower with me, soak the ends in the tea and then pour the rest slowly onto the rest of my hair; depending on my mood and time, I'll let it sit before rinsing. If no time to wait, I just rub into hair and rinse. Some people choose not to rinse the tea, but I haven't tried that yet.

- for conditioning I use diluted apple cider vinegar daily; I apply straight jojoba oil one or two times a week to dry hair at night and sleep in it

My hair is healthier and looks so much better than it has in years!!! Now, if I could just make time for a cut and style!

Edited by kimmie38017

Negin, can you clarify what you mean by conditioner leading to more hair loss? Do you just mean b/c you are doing one more thing to your hair, or is it something about the conditioner in particular?

Maybe it's just me, but whenever I use conditioner, and I have to every time I wash my hair, my hair falls out far more than normal. The shower is covered with my hair. Hence why I only wash my hair once a week now. Again, it could just be me. My hairdresser said that many women experience this. The less often I shampoo and condition, the less hair loss I experience. It may be something to do with combing the conditioner in or whatever. I don't know. :confused:

Hair is not my area of expertise.

I just now that my overall hair health when it comes to hair loss in particular, has a lot to do with nutrition and stress levels. I need to work on increasing my iron levels naturally. I avoid iron supplements.

• 2 years later...

I wash my hair very infrequently---once a week tops, usually less. I do, however, wet it down when I'm in the shower in the morning. When I'm out of the shower I use one pump of Catwalk Curl Rocks curl amplifier cream, comb it through, and let it my hair air dry. I've turned my other curly and wavy haired friends on to that product and they love it too.

My hair routine is the same as yours. I LOVE Catwalk Curls Rock!! I went through a lot of different products before I found the Catwalk. I use that and then Deva Curl light defining gel over it.