Menu

Van buying choices - need help.

We have come to accept the fact that our 99 Town and Country Limited (we paid $7000 for it in 03) is quickly coming to its end. I have really enjoyed this van even though the motor has 156,000 miles on it. It runs fine, but the body and other important parts are all going bad. So we have been starting to look for something newer.

Our relatives, who are older and have followed the maintenance book to a tee, are selling their 04 Honda Odyssey EX w/ DVD for $11,000, but it has 86,000 miles on it (They drove it from NY to Montana twice). I was really hoping for something a little newer w/ less milage. What's nice is that we could pay cash for this. (Bye-Bye emergency fund)

DH and I also spent some time this evening at a major auto seller in our area and test drove an 08 Town and Country and a 2010 Kia Sedona. Both rode nice but I really don't like the floors in the Stow and Go and I'm just not sure about reliability in either. We would definitely have to borrow to buy something newer.

What's hard is that we have been completely debt free for three years and I really don't want to go that way again, but I also don't want to dump everything we have into an older vehicle and have something major like the transmission go or start having all the motorized this and thats go.

I know I am asking for you'all to be my glass ball, but I sure could use some wisdom in this.

If you check consumer reports, you will find that the Honda is a much better made vehicle than the american made vans. Sad, but true. I would never buy an american made van if given the choice. Here are the van models and their ratings in the 2010 CR Top 2010 cars magazine:

Honda Oddyssey EX with a 91 score

Kia Sedona EX 79

Volkswagon Routan SEL 65

Chrysler T&C 64

Dodge grand caravan 60

And if you do decide to go with a used american model, be sure to check consumer reports and other online sources to make sure you aren't buying a "dud year." DH learned his lesson the hard way when he bought a chrysler concord. All the other model years were just fine...except the year he bought. It was a very horrible car.

:bigear:

We are buying a minivan later this year too - deciding if a $13,000, 2007, 80,000 mile Honda Odyssey in great condition (owned by people with no kids) will be worth it. Not much help here, but certainly reading the responses and following.

My 99 T&C minivan - loved it, drove it to over 150K miles, had never done much more than put tires and brakes on it. My 2005 T&C minivan - let's just say we are so happy we extended the warranty because we are getting our money's worth out of it :glare:.

Our 1998 Honda Accord - still going strong at 215K. I would buy the Honda if I were you.

If you check consumer reports, you will find that the Honda is a much better made vehicle than the american made vans. Sad, but true. I would never buy an american made van if given the choice. Here are the van models and their ratings in the 2010 CR Top 2010 cars magazine:.

I have a Ford Freestar and we've had waaaay too many problems with it. The latest was the transmission needing to be replaced ($2700) and the shop owner said it's very common problem with Windstars and Freestars. We would like to replace it but my husband's 22 year old vehicle is on its last legs.

Besides the transmission, we've had to replace the digitial contol board for the dash (about $320), an AC repair around $700, door repair $220, two repairs on the heating system over $140 each, cruise control $260, one heated seat went out which we won't repair, and two inside switches. It's had various other engine repairs that I don't remember details of as well.

We're talking about a Honda if we go with a minivan next time around.

I have owned two vans...a 96 Ford Windstar and a 2003 Chevy Venture. Both were less than $6000. and I have loved them both. I would look for something less than the honda, and I would avoid the Kia because I don't think they are very reliable.

:iagree: Our experience is similar. If you could find another $7000 van that you could drive for 7 years, you would still have an emergency fund and no debt.

We have a 2006 Kia Sedona and we love it. We haven't had any problems, it has a great warranty, and top safety ratings. I always thought Kias weren't great cars til we actually started looking. After I researched a little, I couldn't find any reason not to get it. I understand the debt thing though. We had no car payments til we bought this van. It was hard for me to get back on the car debt wheel again, but we didn't have that much cash and we needed a new vehicle. It's not the end of the world. I'd rather have the payment than empty out our savings completely.

we're looking, too. we have had a caravan since '97 (2 of them).

consumer reports lists both the honda odyssey and toyota sienna as reliable to buy used.

this time around, we are looking quite seriously at a mazda 5, which consumer reports calls a "microvan". it is much less money than a minivan, and still seats 6. it handles more like a station wagon than a mini van, which i also really, really liked when we test drove it.

the two minivans consumers recommends are the odyssey and the mazda 5.

but we only have $15,000 in our "next car" account, so i have my fingers crossed that the caravan lasts another year or two to make the mazda 5's $23,000 possible.

sigh....

i'm looking for someone to have "the" answer!

ann

I have a Ford Freestar and we've had waaaay too many problems with it. The latest was the transmission needing to be replaced ($2700) and the shop owner said it's very common problem with Windstars and Freestars. We would like to replace it but my husband's 22 year old vehicle is on its last legs.

Besides the transmission, we've had to replace the digitial contol board for the dash (about $320), an AC repair around $700, door repair $220, two repairs on the heating system over $140 each, cruise control $260, one heated seat went out which we won't repair, and two inside switches. It's had various other engine repairs that I don't remember details of as well.

That's interesting because we own a 2005 Ford Freestar and it works fine for us. We've had it for almost 5 years.

Edited by ChrisB

We have come to accept the fact that our 99 Town and Country Limited (we paid $7000 for it in 03) is quickly coming to its end. I have really enjoyed this van even though the motor has 156' date='000 miles on it. It runs fine, but the body and other important parts are all going bad. So we have been starting to look for something newer.[/quote']We have a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager with only 80,000 miles and love it! That's not a lot of miles, but the years do take their toll. It is starting to have a few more problems, but so far they have been minor and I have been able to do all the repairs myself. No signs yet of imminent engine or transmission failure. Sorry yours is giving out.
Our relatives' date=' who are older and have followed the maintenance book to a tee, are selling their 04 Honda Odyssey EX w/ DVD for $11,000, but it has 86,000 miles on it (They drove it from NY to Montana twice). I was really hoping for something a little newer w/ less milage. What's nice is that we could pay cash for this. (Bye-Bye emergency fund)[/quote']
I would buy the Honda if I were you.
I'd go with the Honda.
Me, too. You know the history of this van and it could have a LOT of years and miles left in it.
What's hard is that we have been completely debt free for three years and I really don't want to go that way again' date=' but I also don't want to dump everything we have into an older vehicle and have something major like the transmission go or start having all the motorized this and thats go.[/quote']I recommend you do NOT go back into debt. Even if the Honda drains the emergency fund, it won't put you back in debt.

No more Ford Minivans here! We had an Aerostar and LOVED it. Then we "upgraded" to a Windstar. What a disaster! It had transmission issues from day one! We switched to Chrysler minivans and haven't looked back.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

That's interesting because we own a 2005 Ford Freestar and it works fine for us. We've had it for almost 5 years.

And I hope it continues to work for you! This wasn't a successful model for Ford and they're no longer in production.

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/freestar/review.html

The article mentions gas milage, and I forgot to say anything about that. When gas was $4/gallon I was getting 12.8 mpg :confused: in town with my Freestar Limited and a little better on the highway. Nobody could find a reason for the dismal milage but eventually it sudeenly kicked up to about 15 mpg.

As I said, I hope you get many more miles out of yours, but this isn't a model I'd recommend for someone in the used market. It's too bad really, because I really like this vehicle except for the fact that it's not reliable.

Edited by Pippen

We have come to accept the fact that our 99 Town and Country Limited (we paid $7000 for it in 03) is quickly coming to its end. I have really enjoyed this van even though the motor has 156' date='000 miles on it. It runs fine, but the body and other important parts are all going bad. So we have been starting to look for something newer.

Our relatives, who are older and have followed the maintenance book to a tee, are selling their 04 Honda Odyssey EX w/ DVD for $11,000, but it has 86,000 miles on it (They drove it from NY to Montana twice). I was really hoping for something a little newer w/ less milage. What's nice is that we could pay cash for this. (Bye-Bye emergency fund)

DH and I also spent some time this evening at a major auto seller in our area and test drove an 08 Town and Country and a 2010 Kia Sedona. Both rode nice but I really don't like the floors in the Stow and Go and I'm just not sure about reliability in either. We would definitely have to borrow to buy something newer.

What's hard is that we have been completely debt free for three years and I really don't want to go that way again, but I also don't want to dump everything we have into an older vehicle and have something major like the transmission go or start having all the motorized this and thats go.

I know I am asking for you'all to be my glass ball, but I sure could use some wisdom in this.[/quote']

We would look for a different option. We wouldn't spend our entire emergency fund, nor would we borrow. When we bought our van in 2002, dh looked at consumer reports to find out which van was most reliable over time. Then he hunted around and paid cash for a 1994 Toyota Previa (okay, so it looks like an egg and I would love to have a 2nd sliding door), and it currently has 210K miles on it and is going strong. We've had maintenance done on it, and some repairs made (though not many), but no major work. When it's time to buy again, I'm sure we'll follow the same steps as we did before.

I could have written your op myself. I drive an '05 T&C that has been a good vehicle. It has 145,000 miles on it and the only money we've had to put into it up to this point is in brakes (quite a few times). We recently started looking for new (to us) vehicles as well since I know it's nearing the end. I'll be reading this thread with interest. If we get another van it'll be Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna or another Town & Country. Love the room and comfort of a van. We travel a great deal (like the mileage didn't tell you that) and so reliability and comfort are paramount.

I suggest that you do some intensive research regarding transmission problems with the Honda Odyssey. (Sigh) Ask me how I know... I am dealing with this very issue right now. I drive an 05 Odyssey (purchased new) and I LOVE it! In fact, we were so sold on the Honda brand that earlier this summer we purchased an 07 Pilot (used) for my DH. We had no problems whatsoever with the Ody for five years---until two weeks ago. It started "shuddering" at about 30 mph. It just felt like a transmission issue. It is. Long story short, at 93K, the entire transmission needs to be replaced. At our expense. Big expense. :glare: If your relatives purchased the Hondcare extended warranty (we did not), I believe that the van would be covered to 100K. If they did not, you are on your own and at the mercy of Honda of America to see if they will cover part of the repair cost--they certainly don't have to and as a second owner----ummm, I would be skeptical as to what they would cover. Google Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems and watch your screen fill up.:tongue_smilie: Until two weeks ago, I was totally unaware of this issue.

Honda had so many tranny problems with the Ody that in 06 or 07 they completely changed transmissions and began offerring much longer Ody powertrain warranties--because they had more or less improved their product.

If you had posted three weeks ago, I would have been one of the the biggest Honda fans on this board, now not so much. In our case, we made a calculated decision to "self-insure" rather than purchase the Honda extended warranty, that at the time would have cost $2200 in FL. Never in our wildest dreams did we expect transmission troubles before 100K on a Honda. Minor stuff perhaps, (which never did happen), but transmission failure, never. That being said, if you could locate a newer Honda with a longer warranty, then that might be a different story. The van itself is swell, I still plan on driving the wheels off of it...once it is drivable again!:tongue_smilie:

IMHO, the 04 with 84 K is true risky venture. Do some Googling and good luck!

Jen

I just bought a 2006 Kia Sedona for 12K, with 36,000 miles, still under original warranty (Kia bumper to bumper warranties go to 5 yrs/60K), and love it. It seats 6 comfortably, 7 if you don't have to deal with carseats and don't have really big people. The 3rd row folds down completely, the 2nd is removable, which gives a lot of cargo capacity.

It's very similar to the Honda in size and body lines, but sells for less.

Wow, I really appreciate all the replies even though there is no real consensus. I am not good at replying to each post so I will make some general statements. First of all Ford anything will not be considered. Our other vehicle is a 98 F-150 and has way too many dumb quirks and we have dumped tons of money into it.

Our T&C for $7000 was a special deal from great friends. I think if our relatives lowered the price of the Honda I would consider it, but it would have to be their offer. (I do add a big element of prayer when we car shop)

I do really like the idea of having a guarantee on the newer vehicles mostly because they are no longer handyman friendly. DH was able to repair many things on our older van but with so many electronics it is getting harder (and we don't tend to replace things that are not necessary like air-conditioning). Also I never really considered myself car-vain, but I am kinda tired of having the biggest rust bucket in the parking lot. Our sliding doors don't even have exterior handles and our rear door has to be opened with a screwdriver. It's kinda embarrassing.

Another thought, and I'm am not sure if this sways me to newer or older, is that NY is very hard on cars. They throw TONS of salt on the roads, and cars get eaten alive. Also we do not have a garage, so that salt just sits on them and ruins the body.

Anyway, it is nice to know that I am not alone in going around in circles when car-shopping.

We purchased a brand new Nissan Quest at the beginning of 2007. We've never had a single issue with it.

We have a 2004 Quest and love it. It's bigger and roomier than the Odyssey, and I like that it doesn't look exactly like the other millions of minivans out there. Two of my sisters have Odysseys that they bought brand new, and they both had body problems within months. One of them was fixed, but my other sister was never happy with the "repair" on her van.

Hmmm ... we have always had great luck with American made vans. Not that we specifically go after them, but they tend to be cheaper used than foreign made ones.

We had a 2003 Ford Windstar that we were able to pay cash for in 2007 for $8000. It was pretty basic, but it did what we needed, including a bi-yearly 4500 mile trip each year we had it. Someone ran into us head on in April though and totaled it. :( We were NOT looking to replace it any time soon. When we got rid of it there was 105,000 miles on it. Never had anything wrong happen before the wreck.

With our insurance money, we used half to buy a 1999 Chevy Venture with 80,000 miles, automatic doors, and leather -- a little fancier than our Windstar and less miles. It was okay with me that it was older than what we had because it is nicer. It was only $2400 and has needed no work at all.

I think all makers have duds every once in a while -- if you're patient you can find something mechanically sound for fairly cheap. The key word there is patient though. ;)

Strong opinion here...my father has worked in the automobile industry for 30 years, he's seen every sort of trade in/issue/maintenance you can imagine..every now and then a great deal like your in-laws will come along..one where you KNOW they took good care of it....and has low miles 86 is not too bad..especially interstate miles...the only repairs/maintenance you may need to consider if buying from them is

1. When were the front brakes replaced? Were the rear ones replaced as well?

2. How old are the tires?

3. Has the timing belt been replaced yet?

4. Has the engine oil/radiator fluid been flushed (not drained but literally replaced (only certain mechanics have that type of equipment..not drive up oil change places)

5. Have the remaining belts been checked?

If all the above have been done, then I would pay 11k...but I think if they have not been done I would try and see if they would take less....add up those expenses and subtract it...

Toyotas/Hondas hold their value and last the longest, it's just a fact...Dodge Caravans, Nissan Quests, other vans start having major issues at the 5-8 year mark...and it's never an inexpensive fix...our 1999 Toyota has 200,000 miles on it (Sienna) and is going strong....hope to keep it to 500,000 miles!

Tara

We bought our used Toyota van through AutoTrader.com and we got an awesome deal on it. It was like new and had very few miles on it. The owner had decided they could not afford the payments. It was also still under warranty. It was such a great deal that my husband ended up flying one-way to Louisville, KY (from Tulsa), met the guy at the dealer where he had bought it, did the deal and then drove it back. It was still much less expensive than buying it new.

We also sold our Toyota Avalon through AutoTrader.com very quickly.

Personally I would go with a higher mileage Toyota or Honda van before I would purchase an American made one. We always follow consumer reports and it is very clear through their testing that the Honda and Toyota vans out perform the American made ones, for now anyway. When that changes, I will be one of the first to purchase an American made one but we cannot afford to buy something that is not going to perform well.

ETA: I would also recommend choosing an option that would not put you into debt again. We pay ourselves a car pmt every month and we know years in advance when we will be purchasing our next vehicle. It gives one such peace of mind to not be in debt and you will be able to rebuild your emergency fund much faster without the debt of a car loan. But I still think checking out AutoTrader.com is a good idea. They normally have a lot of cars listed there.

Edited by Lea in OK

I have loved our 07 Sienna. Bought it with 8600 miles on it for like $22,000 used. That included the top extended warranty and we aren't ext. warranty people, but my hubby has been fixing cars for years and we wanted him to not have to give up his one day off anymore - for at least a while.

Anyway, I loved this van until 6 weeks ago. It has been sitting at the dealer until then. Supposed to be done today - we leave for vacation in 3 days and they gave us a loaner Camry. Thankful for the Camry, but we don't fit in it! Anyway, our side air bag warning light went on. There is a service bulletin on it - like a recall I guess, but not exactly. The part was backordered FOREVER!! It has been supposed to be done several times before, but I am hopeful for TODAY!!

They have not been good to deal with it - my hubby has really had to stand up and be firm. i don't think I would buy another Toyota - too many problems lately. And, I have always loved Toyota!!

There are problems with all cars, though, I suppose! But, I guess there are a ton of these issues with the air bags....mostly side ones, but I read about front ones too.

I vote for the Honda, for all the reasons expressed already. In June of 09 we bought a 2003 Honday Odyssey with more miles that the one you've mentioned and loved every minute of it. We know many, many people with 03-06 Odysseys and all the reviews are positive. I would look into the suggested transmission issue, though, because those are really expensive.

First, I would offer a little less and make sure they know you'd be paying cash/personal check.

Second, would you consider taking out a small $3K-$4K 36 month auto loan on the vehicle? A credit union can give you a really good interest rate if you have good credit (sounds like you would). That way, you're paying it mostly in cash, keeping your debt very low but making sure you have enough in your emergency fund to cover well, emergencies! You can build up your fund while you pay off the van. The amount of loan would simply be the remainder of what you *have* to have in your emergency fund.