Menu

Decluttering - What do I do with ?

I am trying to declutter and simplify things around our home, so today I opened my cedar chest to take a look when I came across my mother's wedding dress. I have no idea why I keep it, but I have no idea what else to do with it.

Just to give a little background info, my mother and I never had a good relationship and then she passed away when I was 20. The dress itself is about a size 2 mini-dress from the 60's and there is a small veil. My mother was teeny tiny and I can't see anyone I know even fitting their right leg into this dress! My parents were divorced and my only sibling has no interest in it.

What do I do with it? It seems such a shame to let it be packed away forever, but then all the alternatives don't seem any better. Ugh. Stuff. Where's Peter Walsh when I need him??

Thanks!

What do I do with it?

You don't say what kind of fabric ... if it's a nice fabric, I would use it to make a christening gown or suchlike baby's garment. Maybe an elegant satiny baby blanket. If you're not handy in that way, you could donate it to Newborns In Need and they will make it into delicate, elegant preemie bereavement garments.

http://www.newbornsinneed.org

But if it's a 60's floral fabric ... uh, never mind ;)

Karen

If you find enjoyment taking it out every 2, 5, 10 years, then keep it. If you find comfort in having it somewhere in your posessions, then keep it. Some treasures are kept and shown once in a generation.

On the other hand, if you don't want it, sell it on ebay, put it on craigslist- whatever you like. Do a little research into vintage clothing, ask a fair price, and see if there are any takers.

If you don't think anyone will have any use for it, or if you really want to keep part of it for sentimental reasons, cut a piece of it 8"x10", mat it, then frame it.

ETA if you don't want a such a large frame, cut a piece smaller to fit into a 5"x7" mat.

Thanks ladies, you have some great ideas! I had my 7 year old daughter try it on and the funny thing is that it doesn't touch the floor! The sleeves are only 3/4 length, so they aren't too long either.

I love the idea of making a baby dress, but the fabric is like a faille with an overlay of very 60's lace with a ring pattern. So, I'm off to research your other ideas and if all else fails, it will go in the dress up bin. I think I'll save the veil for posterity's sake though!

Thanks!