Menu

Outlining help!!!

dands

We are attempting to outline and i do not quite get it. Here are two examples, one is from me and the other from my daughter. She is getting frustrated with me because she thinks i am complicating the whole outlining business. She wishes to just write a paragraph instead. Please help me, i do not know what to do. She is asking what is the point of it.

Outlining taken from the Usborne internet Encyclopedia World History pg.306 and 307

here is mine, take only from page 306

James I becomes king of England in 1603. He and his son Charles believed God had chosen them and refused to be controlled by Parliament.

Civil War:

I. King Charles I in 1629 rules without the help of Parliament.

A. He rules 11 years alone.

1.He runs out of money and is forced to ask Parliament.

2. Parliament refuses to help him.

B. 1642 fighting broke out between the King’s supporters and Parliament

1. English Civil War began.

II. The king’s followers were called Cavaliers or Royalists.

A. Had flowing hair and fancy clothes.

III. The Parliament supporters were called Roundheads.

A. Were Puritans – strict Protestants

1. disapproved fine clothes, acting and dancing

Here is my daughters from pages 306 and 307

I. James I becomes king of England and Scotland.

II. King Charles I, son of James I, ruled England alone for eleven years.

A. Charles soon became forced to ask for money from the parliament, but

they refused to help. Then began the England Civil War.

1. The king’s followers were called Cavaliers or Royalists.

2. The Pariamentarian people were called Roundheads.

III. Oliver Cromwell leads a Protestant army called New Model Army to

win the Battle of Naseby, causing the king to surrender the next year.

IV. In 1649, King Charles I was killed.

V. When Oliver Cromwell took over the country for four years, this was called the Commonwealth.

VI. In 1660, King Charles II is crowned king.

VII. The Black Death spreads through London. The next year, a fire wipes it all out.

VIII. London is rebuilt and in the 1690s it became beautiful again.

We are attempting to outline and i do not quite get it. Here are two examples, one is from me and the other from my daughter. She is getting frustrated with me because she thinks i am complicating the whole outlining business. She wishes to just write a paragraph instead. Please help me, i do not know what to do. She is asking what is the point of it.

Tell her that the point of it is to analyze good authors' writings, and learn how they organize their thoughts, by organizing them into outline form.

The very best and simplest instruction I've ever seen of how to outline is found in the 2009 ed. of WTM - logic stage history. There are basic instructions, but then there are three basic questions listed that you ask of each paragraph. If you have well-written paragraphs (and I don't think the Usborne book qualifies - it's too jumpy, to sparse, or something), and you ask these questions of each paragraph, you will be able to come up with an outline that makes sense. You and your dd may word things differently if you were to do the same paragraphs, but mostly you should see the same ideas. And if the ideas are different, or the layout is different, each of you should be able to defend (using the questions) why you laid them out or worded them differently.

I've used these questions with my ds, and have picked through paragraphs myself, and I am so happy with how "simple" SWB made this process, because I had SUCH a hard time teaching this before, even after looking at outlining books.

BTW, if your dd is just starting out learning, I suggest you work with her on just main ideas for awhile. Then when she's comfortable with that, add in the next level, then the next, with those questions.

hth

How old is your daughter? Is this your first year of doing outlining?

I would suggest, if she is just beginning outlining, to just start writing the main point of the paragraph. Until she becomes comfortable picking out the main topic. A full blown outline is confusing at times, too much details to include.

I'll just have her write the main topic of the paragraph until it becomes easy. And it won't give her a hard time which leads to questioning the purpose of outlining. I saw those pages(306-307), it has 8 topics, so just make her write 8 main points and that's it. It's okay for now to just have her do that. Maybe next time, make her write one subpoint to the main topic. You don't have to include all details right now.

That's what I will do. For her work, I would simply take out the sub details that she did and just her 8 main topic sentences. And just have her fix or solidify the sentences. And that would be fine.

I hope this helps.

She is in 7th grade this year (11 year old). We started with WTM late in 6th grade. So for the past year she has completed the narrations for Vol 1 and 2 on notebook and for her satisfaction she also typed the main idea of each topic following the usborne encyclopedia in the computer.

She is in 7th grade this year (11 year old). We started with WTM late in 6th grade. So for the past year she has completed the narrations for Vol 1 and 2 on notebook and for her satisfaction she also typed the main idea of each topic following the usborne encyclopedia in the computer.

We are in the exact same boat, I have two 11 year old DD's in 7th grade this year and we started WTM late in 6th grade. We are just now hitting our stride with outlining and I go over the parts of the WTM that explain how to do it properly often. :)