Menu

why or why not has HOD worked for you?

pjssully

I absolutely ADORE Hod. When I first began using it, I kept wanting to "beef it up" because it seemed so simple. Then I read more and more about CM style and realized I was doing the manuals a great injustice by adding. I also went through a phase of trying to skip parts of things that *I* thought were "silly" or unimportant only to find that when I did those things, my KIDS love them. Once I got all of that behind me and started to use the manual as it was intended, without adding stuff and skipping stuff - I realized what a true jewel I had in my hands. My children are thriving and loving it! We have used Little Hearts for His Glory, parts of Bigger Hearts for His Glory (older son was incorrectly placed last year by me and we stopped the guide after several weeks and finished american history with R&S, which was BORING). We are currently doing Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory and Creation to Christ. Those two guides are making our year fantastic!!!

Have you read the recent thread entitled, "What yould you do?" http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213371

Please don't let this thread deter you.

Many of us like HOD.

It has short lessons that are age appropriate, no busy work, some hands-on, but not too much. Because the lessons are short, you get to do many subject without "burnout".

I almost used HOD Bigger last year and I have never sold the guide. I modified it to do in 4 days and then I decided to do the middle ages instead of US history! LOL

I have used ideas from it and like the books it uses. Also, I loved watching Daisy's ds use the program last year! If you want to look at Bigger in action look through Daisy's old week in review blogs!

It just isn't go to fit into our sequence.

HTH-

Mandy

Many of us like HOD.

It has short lessons that are age appropriate, no busy work, some hands-on, but not too much. Because the lessons are short, you get to do many subject without "burnout".

I didn't mean for that to "deter" her... she asked for positives and nagatives. I've never used HOD. I stated that in the other thread (and am now stating that again). I can only go from what a close friend experienced. This will help her to be able to make an informed decision. HOD might very well work for her dc... a lot of people love it.

Many of us like HOD.

PLUS...plenty of extra TIME...precious TIME for exploring, reading, building, science experimenting, art, cooking, nature study, family math and family writing, games, pretend play, etc. etc. etc. :lol:

I hope I am just as positive about it 8 months from now!! ;) LOL

I am a first time homeschooler and I love it! It's open and go. Sometimes I even forget to look ahead at the materials needed for the week and end up okay. I love reading with my kids cuddling on the couch. I'm so glad that it follows CM so closely and ties the Bible into most of the subjects. I love that we have fun stuff included to intersperse between the not as fun stuff (handwriting). I'm not creative enough on my own...I'm an engineer! I don't have to schedule and lesson plan. I really like how the TM is laid out. It makes sense to my engineering mind. Best of all, I love that the kids enjoy it, it works very well for us! :001_smile:

Referring to the link above, I have a K and a 1st grader. When I looked at the placement charts I would have had one in Beyond and one in LHFHG. I decided to combine them for History, Bible, Science, Rhymes, Storytime, and music. I knew, however, that my 1st grader would still need to follow LA, Reading, and Math from Beyond. So I bought 2 guides and I'm fine with that. Theoretically, we will use Beyond next year for History, Science, Bible, etc. and then I will buy Bigger for my oldest to do LA, Reading, Math.

I can see how it is annoying to be in 2 manuals at once for 1 kid, but I think that happens because are kids are on different levels in different subjects. Just the nature of the game.

One thing I'm not big on is the science. I think part of this is a CM thing...I think they wait a little longer with "science" and grammar and just focus on nature at this point. I am expecting (although I haven't started) supplementing with a little extra science.

I think this is my only "issue" because the curriculum is such a good fit for us. I have a friend who is also using it, and she has a couple of hangups primarily because she tends to like to "do/compile/write" her own curriculum (she is pregnant and thought she wanted open and go but she is a tweeker at heart) and because her kid has a hard time sitting still :auto: (to listen to the stories).

HTH, somehow.

We did LHFHG for a little while last year (kindergarten) and did not care for the activities or the book selections for science/history. My daughter thought it was "babyish". It just wasn't for our family. Perhaps the higher levels are...(lacking a better word)...meatier. I ended up dropping it and focusing on the 3Rs. But I do wish I had replaced it with a fun science program. The basics got boring after a while :tongue_smilie:

On a positive note, it is affordable and open-and-go. For my family, WTM recs work much better. I use Homeschool Skedtrack so my eclectic style is open and go :)

One thing I'm not big on is the science. I think part of this is a CM thing...I think they wait a little longer with "science" and grammar and just focus on nature at this point. I am expecting (although I haven't started) supplementing with a little extra science.

HTH, somehow.

Actually, CM's natural science is quite rigorous. The problem is that teaching science the way she did requires a very knowledgeable teacher, and very few of us have the knowledge to make it work the way she did. I believe this is also why many people have trouble doing spelling and grammar the CM way. Many of us lack the background/knowledge to teach it informally.

I don't think LHFHG was CM at all. Perhaps the author draws upon CM principles, but the implementation was decidedly "schoolish".

I am thinking about HOD AGAIN for my 8yr olds. I have two older kids (6 and 9th) that are set for the year. Can anyone give me feedback both positive and neg. We are doing mostly CM style learning -but haven't added in history yet.

thanks

pam

Which program are you thinking of placing them in? What program did you try and stop before?

As with any curriculum, there are pros and cons. I tried HOD last year and wound up in 3 guides with 4 kids. It was too much for me and I had other issues as well since my kids came from public school.

This go round, I have accepted that I am going to tweak and that is ok. I couldn't do that last year. I felt I was wasting my time and money if it wasn't open and go and truly perfect in every way for us.

This may not apply to you since you are doing CM style learning, but the language arts is very slow intro until Bigger Hearts. I personally like the history in Beyond better than Bigger. The Eggleston books were so boring to my kids. I love making our own timeline and the kids drawing the timeline pictures. It really makes a difference than them cutting and pasting one together.

The Bible is really good and the kids are learning verses without it being mundane work. The poetry is really fun to do and they work on copywork from it. I do beef up the science. I do not think the science "readings" are really enough in the LHFHG and BLHFHG guide. I chose to purchase CLP's lesson plans (under $5) for the CLP science texts that is used in these guides. I am adding Zoology 1 for my older kids as well.

Overall, I am pleased this year with the tweaks I have made in order to combine and fit my children into HOD. We do not use all the recommendations. We do different language arts (GUM Grammar and LLATL) and math (still looking for the perfect fit her-currently struggling with Singapore). Singapore has not worked for my kids coming out of ps. Mine need more review and math facts and drill.

My biggest advice is to get your hands on the guides you are thinking of using and really read through them. Look at the appendix and the spelling and dictation especially. Those are not shown when looking at the samples and may well be below the level you are expecting.

HOD works great for us. I used two guides plus Drawn Into the Heart of Reading last year, which was the first year I had ever tried HOD. I loved it and had much peace of mind about using two guides, one for each of my children. I was able to relax and know that each was getting what they needed at their own particular skill and interest levels. I found it to be far easier than I had expected it to be, as far as teaching from different guides.

I like just about everything about HOD. I love that the guides are written for specific skills levels. It makes for a very orderly school time with the children focusing on the things that are most important for them to be developing at that stage. My oldest son really grew in his writing skills and my youngest son solidified his reading skills.

I find the guides to be very easy to follow and organized in a way that just make sense to me. I love having the poetry and dictation right there in the guide. I like the books that are assigned and the writing assignments. I like the way that drawing is integrated and all the other art that is included. My worldview is the same as the authors and we LOVE the Bible lessons. I keep reading that HOD is not "meaty" and frankly, I don't understand that at all. I have used My Father's World and Sonlight (currently using SL again with one of my children) and HOD is meatier, in my opinion, than either of those. The math (Singapore, which we use as a supplement but not solely because we love MUS) and the language arts are not light by any means. By the time you get to Preparing there is ALOT of reading, plenty for us and we love to read.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I am using 3 guides this year and we really like it. It feels good to finally get a curriculum I know that I will stick with for all the kids.

My favorite thing about it is that the Bible is in everything. I really feel that we are really learning more about God this year than the others.

I do not like SM, so we do our own math. I also tweaked a few things here and there. It would be easier if I had started from the beginning to get better placement.

Actually' date=' CM's natural science is quite rigorous. The problem is that teaching science the way she did requires a [i']very [/i]knowledgeable teacher, and very few of us have the knowledge to make it work the way she did. I believe this is also why many people have trouble doing spelling and grammar the CM way. Many of us lack the background/knowledge to teach it informally.

I don't think LHFHG was CM at all. Perhaps the author draws upon CM principles, but the implementation was decidedly "schoolish".

:iagree: This is why I use BFSU to help me with natural science. Otherwise, I can do fine on my own for spelling and grammar since those are my forte. I don't use HOD, BTW, but I do use CM methods and understand them.

We're about to start LHFHG and are just getting into LHTH with my ds, so I have hardly any experience to speak of :)>

That said, I have done TONS of research (like many of us here), and just have a peace about using HOD that I didn't have from the other wonderful options out there! I think so much of it just comes down to what "connects" with your own heart for your kids and their education, and it may be the opposite of what worked for almost everyone else!

I have to say that I have been so blessed reading through the forum posts at HOD's website and feel very encouraged and inspired by those ladies.

I am very impressed with HOD's book choices, love the easy but fun hands on activities and feel like the program is simple enough to implement it well, and even tweak or add where we feel necessary (and since it's not too terribly pricey, this doesn't make me feel guilty at all:)).

But, as is obvious from other current threads, it doesn't work perfectly for everyone! (probably nothing would!)

I used LHTH and LHFHG with a lot of tweaks and subs. What really worked absolutely wonderfully here were the literature boxes and the bible story activities. The pacing, variety of activities, and age appropriate/reasonable amount of time her lessons take was just perfect for us. I loved how easy it was to use and how enjoyable all of it was for my very different boys. What didn't work here boils down to why I think I'm probably just not cut out for a boxed curriculum from any publisher. It came down to text choices and in some cases topic choices. Most people love her history texts, bibles, and devotionals so I think this is likely my own sensitivity in certain areas. It's a good program in so many ways.

Edited by sbgrace

I have my 3rd and 1st graders using Beyond for the history page and storytime. My 1st grader also uses Beyond for 3Rs while my 3rd grader uses Bigger for her 3Rs. We are 7 weeks in and everyone loves it!

Pros:

*I have never used any program that was more open and go! I don't have any planning to do and my prep time is incredibly short.

*We actually have all the needed materials...she usually includes possible substitutions if you don't have the item.

*We finish by noon most days, leaving afternoon for poetry, art, cooking, tea time, crafts, outside activities, etc.

*I am amazed at how well our lessons flow together...everything ties back into the history and Bible weekly themes.

*I love that we can pick our storytime books. There are plenty of suggestions to choose from and they all look great! This makes it easier to buy them used.

*It's very easy to substitute other programs. Since the 3R's aren't connected into the history theme, you can easily use your own math/English/handwriting/etc. programs. We use the guide as-is, except for phonics.

*My DC love the lessons.

*Science experiments/demonstrations are very easy! My DC love experiments, but we never did them very often. HOD schedules tons of them...and they are simple enough for my DC to complete on their own.

Cons:

*It's harder to combine two DC. I am combining my two oldest, but I don't think I'll ever be able to combine my younger two.

*There is quite a bit of flipping through the guides, but I still find it much easier than planning from scratch.

*I wish there were more CM-type studies (art & music appreciation, handicrafts, nature study, etc.). The up side to this is that we can pick our own topics to study in the afternoons.

As you can see, my con list is very short and we are extrememely happy with our HS this year. We went from our worst year (me planning it all) to our best (with HOD). I know it's not a program for everyone, but it's been an amazing blessing to my family.

I've only used Little Hearts and Bigger

Pros:

Very open and go

LOTS of hands on!

Science experiments are easy and fun

HOD provides you book suggestions if you choose not to order their book packs. I was able to find plenty at my library.

My DS in Little Hearts really like the rhymes with the actions and the dramatic play.

If you Google reviews for HOD you find that they have VERY positive feedback on their program.

Everything ties back to God and Godly characteristics.

The devotional is really great.

Cons:

I initially I didn't like having to flip thru the manual, but sturdy post it notes (used as labeled tabs) quickly solve this problem.

If you have any questions about placement, call HOD. While the charts are very helpful, not every child will fit perfectly (as is with any boxed curriculum). Not really a con, but being new, I didn't know.

I wish there were things like music and nature study, but these can easily be added on your own. (I just like having everything in the guide because I am new).

My personal thoughts:

I can only speak for the levels I have, but they are very easy to use for new H'schoolers or those new to HOD. Ask questions to make sure you are getting everything you need. I was not aware that the activities for my sons math were in a different manual than the one I had (previously we used SL which literally comes with EVERYTHING. I assumed other curriculum was the same:001_huh:).We finished much quicker than the recommended time-especially with DD in Bigger. While this might be a dream for some, I really wanted it to take more time. I didn't feel like it was "full" enough for my DD as is-being new, I have no clue how to add things and how to implement them if they are not in the guide. Little Hearts is a great fit for my son-I would say he is a typical first grader, needing phonics, enjoying fun stories, and "play".

For my DD I feel she needs a different method of study and does not fit with HOD-although she really enjoys the readers and read-alouds.

HTHS:001_smile:

Edited by OregonNative

We used LHFHG and Preparing last year. LHFHG was for my ds6 in 1st grade and Preparing for dd10 5th grade. We did not like the books in LHFHG. Reddy fox was great, but to have a whole year of very similar books became too repetative. I would have preferred a variety of stories, and therefore did not continue with the reading schedule and supplemented from the library. We did enjoy the history readings very much. Science could have had more to it. We love science here, so we supplemented.

Preparing was very good, although we prefer more hands-on science. The historical books were excellent, and we really enjoyed the poetry study. The independant history was great. My daughter enjoyed that part of the day tremendously and really improved her drawing skills.

Highly recommended!

Many of us like HOD.

I agree, that thread went downhill.:confused:

HOD is really a great curriculum if you want a biblical integrated curriculum where the planning is done for you. Some integration is loosely related to science and sometimes history, but the bible verses are memorized weekly and always have an application to it. For us, this creates a lot of discussion, because if kids can't apply this in life then how does it relate to them, right?

While it's an all-in-one curriculum, you need to realize that one size does not fit all and no one is really expecting it to. Other levels in certain subjects are available, but yes, you'd have to pay more, just as if you'd have to buy another program for math or english or spelling for example. You can easily change out math, language arts and science if needed. It's not like if you can't do their math program that it ruins the program. You can use your own spelling program (language arts) and reading program as well and by not doing these will not affect the use of the program.

HOD is all pre-read by the author. She saves the more yucky topics for the later grades as far as ancient content goes and weeds out portions that tend to be of questionable content, such as evolutionary cave men, etc. So while someone may have content issues with a book, it's highly likely the author did not use that portion. The studies have a lot to do with character training, so if there is a trait that may be unacceptable in a story, it'll be in the plans to discuss this trait, why, and how can we be more godly? What could this person have done, for example.

In my opinion it is deceptively light. We did Bigger, and are now doing Preparing and I was and am quite surprised at all there was and is to do! The science could have a little more meat, however for the average student it is fine. If you have a science guru, then it will be on the light side, but that too is somewhat deceptive.

Lessons tend to be short and twaddleless. The author "kills two-birds with one stone" so-to-speak, so you not doing a bunch of separate subjects, but they're done in context. So vocab work is used from your readings, writing is used from the poetry, copywork and art are used in science, history, bible. etc.

Yes, the HOD board is stricly for HOD and not for substitutions for other programs, which is completely the right of the owner. It's her board and she is on it. She will answer questions herself, which has been extremely helpful, especially some of the "sticky's" at the top on why and how she came about her choices. Other questions about asking for another math or science program, etc where you want other choices, can be taken to this board or on the HOD yahoo board. She writes her own activities for her math and science, etc., so it certainly wouldn't be in her best interest to have people recommending a bunch of other programs on her personal site. It's very well moderated and I have a great respect for her. You need to go elsewhere if you want to discuss other programs. You will not find a thread that goes "downhill" there.

There are several packages available depending on your budget. In my curriculum hopping, it's one of the most full, inexpensive programs out there. And the customer service and shipping is excellent. You get personal service.

**And it works for us, because it creates discussion between dd and I. There's so much context and it's very applicable in it's teaching. There's no busy-work. The schedule is good in a way that one day may be heavy in one subject, but lighter in another, so it evens itself out. You don't have to write, copy, draw, do an experiment all on one day. It's a pretty level day throughout the week. HOD gets done!

Edited by alilac

• 2 weeks later...

Love it!!

We're doing LHFG for Bible/History/some readaloud and MBP along with it. Doing our own thing for math. I only wish it was in spreadsheet form as well so you could see where she is going in each area without flipping pages. Love the Steve Green CD and her history/bible resources.