Menu

How long until I can safely say

LazyDazy

It's not us, it's the curriculum? We are first timers in our 4th week and I am not sure when to say enough and move on. We have had some bumps along the way and have slowly gotten into a groove and yet both boys hate grammar. We are using Easy Grammar for both of them. We started out doing 1 lesson a day then went to 3 a week; started out having them write it all out and have moved to doing a lot orally. I wonder what my next step should be? Drop it and find something different or make them keep going whether they like it or not. What do you suggest?

What are you doing for writing?

I think the easiest way to get rid of grammar is to hide it in writing. You can even use Easy Grammar as a guide since you have it. When they do thier writing whether it is narrations from SOTW or creative writing or what ever- if EG says to cover proper nouns then use the sentances they wrote to talk about proper nouns.

First, know where I'm coming from. Easy Grammar didn't work for us. It was not appropriate for continuing my dc's education in grammar. It would, in my honest opinion, be better as a supplement or used as a review year.

Do they not like it because it is too hard or because it is too boring? My dc didn't like EG because it was very boring and repetitive and so easy that they felt there was no point in even doing it. I even switched my 5th grader to the 6th grade book with her sister because there was hardly any difference at all between levels. I also had looked at the next level book and saw very little difference between it and the previous level. After almost a year and after I realized that their grammar knowledge was actually less than it had been the previous year, we switched to Rod and Staff. It is a lot more work but they actually enjoy doing it now because they are learning and so see the point of the work.

Now, if they don't like it because it is too hard then my first reaction would be to tell you to switch to something else because EG is not teacher intuitive nor do I think it is thorough enough for a solid grammar education.

If you want to stick it out then hopefully someone who has actually 'taught' it will chime in and give you some advice.

Sorry, I probably wasn't much help but I hope you can work something out. Just a note: EG does have a pretty good resale value. I was able to sell both of my levels for just 10. less than what I paid for them.

It's not us, it's the curriculum? We are first timers in our 4th week and I am not sure when to say enough and move on. We have had some bumps along the way and have slowly gotten into a groove and yet both boys hate grammar. We are using Easy Grammar for both of them. We started out doing 1 lesson a day then went to 3 a week; started out having them write it all out and have moved to doing a lot orally. I wonder what my next step should be? Drop it and find something different or make them keep going whether they like it or not. What do you suggest?

I haven't used EG, just considered it because I like the unusual sequence it uses. But I also know the first thing I would do is write all those terms they want you to memorize on 3x5 cards and hand them to my kids to use as needed. I would never have them memorize it.

But before you drop it (assuming the memorization isn't the problem) I would ask if they had liked grammar in the past? Neither of my oldest two would say they liked grammar one bit. They do it because they must. They don't hate it either, though. If you can see something they might really like better, like Winston then go for it. If it is just not liking a topic they have to do regardless I would be wary of changing.

Heather

First, know where I'm coming from. Easy Grammar didn't work for us. It was not appropriate for continuing my dc's education in grammar. It would, in my honest opinion, be better as a supplement or used as a review year.

Do they not like it because it is too hard or because it is too boring? My dc didn't like EG because it was very boring and repetitive and so easy that they felt there was no point in even doing it. I even switched my 5th grader to the 6th grade book with her sister because there was hardly any difference at all between levels. I also had looked at the next level book and saw very little difference between it and the previous level. After almost a year and after I realized that their grammar knowledge was actually less than it had been the previous year, we switched to Rod and Staff. It is a lot more work but they actually enjoy doing it now because they are learning and so see the point of the work.

Now, if they don't like it because it is too hard then my first reaction would be to tell you to switch to something else because EG is not teacher intuitive nor do I think it is thorough enough for a solid grammar education.

If you want to stick it out then hopefully someone who has actually 'taught' it will chime in and give you some advice.

Sorry, I probably wasn't much help but I hope you can work something out. Just a note: EG does have a pretty good resale value. I was able to sell both of my levels for just 10. less than what I paid for them.

:iagree:

We are using it for a review year this year while we focus on writing. It would not work for us as a long term program for the reasons listed above. I look forward to going back to Rod & Staff next year (and if there was anyway we could swing it time wise this year, we would switch).

Actually, I think I may have one of each. My 5th grader says it repeats and repeats and is just too boring while my 3rd grader says its too hard. I am fairly sure that the 3rd grader hasn't been introduced to grammar prior to this. Does a 3rd grader need to know all the terms at this point? He is a very good writer. I think I will try orally reviewing the topics from EG when they do their writing - more of a "hands on" than filling out a worksheet.. While I check out R$S grammar.

Thanks for your input ladies!

Edited by LazyDazy

I would probably call it good and move to something else - be it a different level of the same curriculum or a different curriculum all together. Also, keep in mind that if grammar doesn't come easy to your kids, they may never "like" it...but they shouldn't abhor it either. I highly recommend R&S English if you do not mind non-secular.