Menu

Math...LOF?

Guest Zema98

My son really struggles with math. He is currently in the seventh grade but his math skills are lacking to say the least. I am thinking of ordering Life Of Fred since I have heard so many good things about it. For those of you who have used LOF before, is it something you do to supplement your math lesson or can you just do LOF?

Thanks.

We used Fractions and Decimals as supplements after she had already studied them in other books.

Algebra 1 and now Algebra 2 we have used as our main curriculum. There were a couple topics in Algebra 1 we had to supplement, but so far good in Alg 2.

The pre-algebra books weren't ready for her, but I think I would use them as our main curriculum too.

This is also what I am planning with my next kids too. covering fractions and decimals- then starting at the beginning of LOF.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
My son really struggles with math. He is currently in the seventh grade but his math skills are lacking to say the least. I am thinking of ordering Life Of Fred since I have heard so many good things about it. For those of you who have used LOF before, is it something you do to supplement your math lesson or can you just do LOF?

Thanks.

I know Fractions and Decimals & Percents aren't meant to stand alone. I know that from Beginning Algebra they are full courses but am not sure about Pre-Algebra 1 & 2. I *think* they are but would want to double check with the author. I use LoF as a supplement to MUS.

We use MUS and supplement with LOF. My daughter was very frustrated with the book at first. LOF presents information and then you you complete a few questions after each chapter. However, the chapter doesn't actually say this is how you complete the problem. The student has to take information they know/leanred and apply it. This drove my daugther crazy. However, it was also good to get her thinking. Now that we've talked about how the book is set up she's more confident knowing that she might not figure out how to work the problems initially, but that we can look at the asnwers and talk about them and that it's okay.