Menu

Logic stage history: colouring maps - KQ, UJ, etc.?

Colleen in NS

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what colouring maps to use for ds ancient history study next year. I already have the Knowledge Quest maps on CD, and he has done years 2-4 with those. I am trying to see what the other WTM recs look like (Uncle Josh's Outline Map Book, Geography Coloring Book) online, but I can't **see** the inside of the books.

Is there any reason **not** to use the KQ maps again? I think they are great and it would save me money to just use what we have....on the other hand, if there is a compelling reason to use either of the other two, I'd spend the money. The Uncle Josh CD has additional maps (like Canada, where we live, but I could find those free online)(like the U.S. states, but we have the Dover coloring book of the U.S.).

I guess I just don't know what geography skills need to be stepped up in the logic stage, and if the other two choices are somehow more advanced than the KQ maps. Any input? (I will probably buy a family atlas, too, plus we have a globe and wall map) Do you even use colouring maps for logic stage??

Thanks again!

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what colouring maps to use for ds ancient history study next year. I already have the Knowledge Quest maps on CD, and he has done years 2-4 with those. I am trying to see what the other WTM recs look like (Uncle Josh's Outline Map Book, Geography Coloring Book) online, but I can't **see** the inside of the books.

Is there any reason **not** to use the KQ maps again? I think they are great and it would save me money to just use what we have....on the other hand, if there is a compelling reason to use either of the other two, I'd spend the money. The Uncle Josh CD has additional maps (like Canada, where we live, but I could find those free online)(like the U.S. states, but we have the Dover coloring book of the U.S.).

I guess I just don't know what geography skills need to be stepped up in the logic stage, and if the other two choices are somehow more advanced than the KQ maps. Any input? (I will probably buy a family atlas, too, plus we have a globe and wall map) Do you even use colouring maps for logic stage??

Thanks again!

We used KQ last year in 6th grade, and their logic-stage plans are very, very good. (Since I decided to get the SOTW-AG this year, I just used those maps this year)

I haven't seen the Uncle Josh maps, but the Geography Coloring book is mostly coloring the boundaries of the current countries. There are a few climate maps to color and a few "empires of the past" to color. Each country/map/empire has an essay telling about it - in very small print. And, not very "fun".

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the KQ maps will show the "lay of the land" as it was during the time period you are studying for almost every topic you study. The Geography Coloring Book will only do that for the "big" empires (Greek, Roman, Ottoman, etc.)

hth,

Rhonda

We used KQ last year in 6th grade, and their logic-stage plans are very, very good. (Since I decided to get the SOTW-AG this year, I just used those maps this year)

I haven't seen the Uncle Josh maps, but the Geography Coloring book is mostly coloring the boundaries of the current countries. There are a few climate maps to color and a few "empires of the past" to color. Each country/map/empire has an essay telling about it - in very small print. And, not very "fun".

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the KQ maps will show the "lay of the land" as it was during the time period you are studying for almost every topic you study. The Geography Coloring Book will only do that for the "big" empires (Greek, Roman, Ottoman, etc.)

hth,

Rhonda

Thanks, Rhonda! I even went to a book store today to try to find these books to see what they looked like inside - no luck. Maybe I'll start a separate thread and just ask what's in the Uncle Josh maps and see how they compare to KQ. It would be just so much easier to use KQ again - I suppose going over them again wouldn't hurt, eh? Still, I want to find out some more details now about the UJ ones. Thanks for telling me what I needed to know about the Geography colouring book, this does help.