Menu

Which cell phone to get?

My trusty cell-phone of almost 5 years just died. I got it before smart phones, before Wi-Fi, before apps, before the dinosaurs (or so I am told).

DH is encouraging me to get a smart phone (the "smart" apparently refers to the ability to send/receive email and look on the Internet). I just need the basics - a good phone, email, and yes, I guess it would be handy to look on the Internet sometimes. I don't text (don't even do it with my current phone), don't care about "apps" (don't use many on our desktop), don't play games, don't need music. Not sure if I would prefer a touch screen or keyboard (although I'm so comfortable with a keyboard...)

And I keep phones forever (see first sentence). Durable would be nice. Because I've been with AT&T a long time, I can get even a top-of-the line phone (like IPhone 4G) for $200, although not sure that I really want/need top-of-the-line.

Anyone care to share what they have and like?

Thanks.

I switched from Sprint to t-mobile and got a My Touch. It's really weird texting with the touch screen, but the apps are so fun! I have a bible app, a meal planner app that makes shopping lists too, and a price book app. The price book app is neat- you can scan the item, then enter the price and store. It's pretty quick (as long as it can find your item with the barcode). I LOVE it. It also uses google calendar, so when I update the calendar on my phone, it syncs it between online google, and my husbands phone.

Good luck finding a phone! My mom just got the iphone 4 after having a "dinosaur" phone, and she loves it too.

If you have Verizon and get a smartphone (at least in my area) you have to pay an extra $30 a month (I'm pretty sure that's for the smartphone)but there is another line of phones that you can get for $10 extra a month and then there are the regular old flip phones that don't have internet capabilities and there are no extra charges per month for those. So if you're fine with a simple phone that you can text and call on, then I say go for the flip phones many of which you can get for free.

My trusty cell-phone of almost 5 years just died. I got it before smart phones, before Wi-Fi, before apps, before the dinosaurs (or so I am told).

DH is encouraging me to get a smart phone (the "smart" apparently refers to the ability to send/receive email and look on the Internet). I just need the basics - a good phone, email, and yes, I guess it would be handy to look on the Internet sometimes. I don't text (don't even do it with my current phone), don't care about "apps" (don't use many on our desktop), don't play games, don't need music. Not sure if I would prefer a touch screen or keyboard (although I'm so comfortable with a keyboard...)

And I keep phones forever (see first sentence). Durable would be nice. Because I've been with AT&T a long time, I can get even a top-of-the line phone (like IPhone 4G) for $200, although not sure that I really want/need top-of-the-line.

Anyone care to share what they have and like?

Thanks.

My dh and I have iPhones and we looooooove them. Eldest's phone contract wasn't up when we got them. We had planned on giving her my phone and upgrading me to the 4g once her contract was up. However, AT&T has stopped their unlimited data plans. You now only get 2 gigs of data for the same price we pay for unlimited. That's only 2 hours of streaming music (like through Pandora) per month. Overage fees are insane!!

So, I would not go with the iPhone at this point. I'd wait until they are available through another carrier. The Vibrant from droid looks like a good smart phone.

I am a lot like you but I do text a little bit :D

My hubby has the Samsung Integrity and loves it $150-$200

I got a Motorola Rival and really like it $130

My little sister has the LG Cosmo and she likes it

I think these are all considered sliders but I could be wrong. I am not much up on all the phone tech stuff.

Check out Virgin Mobile's plans. I heard about it on this board. You can get a semi-smart phone (can check email and look at internet, but slowly) with unlimited texting, data, and 300 minutes of calling for $25 per month. No contract! I got the Rumor 2 phone on sale for $70. I like the keyboard.

I would wait till Thanksgiving when all the carriers start offering buy one phone get one free.

Right now, I think t-mobile is offering the vibrant for $99 or buy one get one free. We checked on them for eldest and our area was offering them for $99. My sister and her hubby just got vibrants and they were buy one get one free.