Menu

Is there any value in adding SSL to GSWL?

Poke Salad Annie

I've listened to the samples of Song School Latin, and I'm wondering if I need to add in a *fun* activity to our Latin study. The audio sample I listened to was a little hard to understand, as the guitar playing and singing seemed to make it difficult to hear the Latin words during the song. Is the CD better than the sample as far as hearing the Latin words clearly and understanding them as they are sung?

Is there anything similar to this as an audio that would add a bit of fun to our study? We do have Minimus also.

Annie,

One of my boys is doing GSWL this year and is doing Minimus on Fridays for fun. It seems to be a great balance for him. Saving it for Fridays only adds a bit of anticipation to it all. Since there are 12 chapters, 3 weeks on each chapter = 36 weeks = whole school year. We did SSL on its own last year, and he enjoyed that, too.

Much as I love SSL, if you are doing GSWL and/or Minimus, you could skip SSL. Really. The songs are cute and fun, but Minimus is fun and interesting too. There are additional readers to go along with Minimus; we don't have them (too much $ for our budget right now).

You could have your little Latinist do just the vocab from SSL; write them up on index cards, have a great time labeling things around the house. Draw pictures on one side of the card and do a Latin version of Memory, saying the Latin when you find a match. My boys did lots of drawing pictures and labeling with the vocab.

On the CAP wesite, there is a download for a man very calmly reading out all the vocab in SSL, chapter by chapter. No music to get in the way. I downloaded it as an extra for my boys to listen to last year; sometimes "just the words" was what they needed. Sorry I can't link to it; I had a time finding it on the site last year. I ended up e-mailing CAP and a very nice person sent me a link very promptly.

Edited by Zoo Keeper

Annie,

Much as I love SSL, if you are doing GSWL and/or Minimus, you could skip

You could have your little Latinist do just the vocab from SSL; write them up on index cards, have a great time labeling things around the house. Draw pictures on one side of the card and do a Latin version of Memory, saying the Latin when you find a match. My boys did lots of drawing pictures and labeling with the vocab.

On the CAP website, there is a download for a man very calmly reading out all the vocab in SSL, chapter by chapter. No music to get in the way. I downloaded it as an extra for my boys to listen to last year; sometimes "just the words" was what they needed. Sorry I can't link to it; I had a time finding it on the site last year. I ended up e-mailing CAP and a very nice person sent me a link very promptly.

I read your post a few days ago about using Minimus on Fridays, so I instantly added it into our schedule. I agree with you that it will build the anticipation for those fun days. I also like the idea of vocabulary on index cards, and labeling things around the house. I looked for the Usborne Latin Sticker Book, but unfortunately it has gone OOP. I was hoping to make some vocab cards with the stickers from this book, but it looks like this will be a very expensive option now. Oh well...

Thank you very much for all of your ideas. Latin seems to be a hit around here, and I am very glad I finally took the step in getting started with it.