Menu

secular or semi secular colleges where your Christian and conservative kids feel ok

Please tell me of colleges that are secular or semi-secular (religious affiliation but no required chapels, etc) where your Christian and conservative children have felt at home and not ostracized. I think I may have some possible candidates for dd but want more options since she will need to ask for housing accomodations due to her illnesses and conditions and therefore need to get a number of acceptances to make sure she can have it.

Chris,

Another source for ideas would be the book "Choosing the Right College", published by ISI. It rates a number of colleges on the level of intellectual freedom there and how closely they follow a liberal arts education philosophy. My library had a copy of this guide.

HTH,

Brenda

:iagree:

My middle son and I have been using this quite a bit to look at schools he's potentially interested in. We started with "free," but then I figured it was worth the $25 for an internet subscription so he could have it at his fingertips. I only wish they had more schools in it. Some fairly big ones don't make it in (yet). However, most he is interested in are in there. He likes reading the Student Life section (or something similarly named).

I highly recommend my Alma Mater - North Georgia College and State University. I believe it would meet your qualifications. As the Military College of Georgia, it has a unique environment that attracts many conservative people and there are large and active campus ministries there. Enrollment in the Army ROTC is optional. If you are interested, I can give you contact info. for the BCM.

FWIW, I felt quite comfortable at University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana specifically because of the support I enjoyed through involvement with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship. Even though my campus was huge and liberal, there was not only IVCF, but also Navigators, Campus Crusade, Bible Study Fellowship, and many church-based college groups. In looking at colleges, I would advise you to specifically research Christian groups that meet on campus. It makes a big difference.

One way to discern this would be to check for the presence of campus ministries on campus whose philosophies you would support, like Navigators, Campus Crusade, Intervarsity, etc. If there is a strong chapter on a particular campus, it's likely that your student would be comfortable as at least there are others on the same path. You can also find how to contact the staff person on each campus by following a google trail. That would enable you to talk to someone "on the ground" about the atmosphere at that particular college.

I see you are in NOVA...have you looked at Christopher Newport University? Both the pres. and his wife are christians and is trickles down into the school quite a bit. We know many kids who have been very happy at this secular school. We hear the campus is beautiful and the dorms are lovely.

I see you are in NOVA...have you looked at Christopher Newport University? Both the pres. and his wife are christians and is trickles down into the school quite a bit. We know many kids who have been very happy at this secular school. We hear the campus is beautiful and the dorms are lovely.

My cousin's son is there now. He is a freshman and complains frequently that there is nothing to do, might as well be at home in his small town, etc....seems like that kind of school I would like!!