Menu

Guess what happens when you let three boys combine coffee, pepsi, lemon juice, .....

vinegar, tabasco sauce, sodium, and a magnesium flint at a 4-H meeting?

The chemical reaction forms a soft, gooey expanding substance (similar to expanding foam in a can but softer) that when taken outside and lit with a match, will shoot small little globs of goo twenty feet across the yard! (DH manned the matches, not the boys.)

Two of these middle school boys will be on our national rocketry team. Let the explosions commence!

It's going to be an interesting year. Dh likes flammable substances enough as it is without the encouragement of pubescent, "I feel indestructable" boys.

Faith (who may soon be moving about with a fire extinguisher permanentaly attached to her side)

I'll try to remember to ask these young gentlemen what proportions they used. We had several groups working on batteries using different types of metals as athodes and cathodes with the different natural acids acting as the electrolytes to conduct the current. They had already tested three different acids and managed anywhere from a half volt to a 1.5 volts and powered an LED with it. So, at that point they had their lab sheets filled out correctly and were ready to get creative.....I dare not think what would happen if they were ever given access to DH's professional lab with its nearly 200 chemicals....that three million dollars in liability insurance is a good thing!

I was working with another team when I turned to see this slowly growing goo spouting out the top of a pint canning jar. Dh announced that from the look of the corrosion on the flint, that the mixture must have absorbed some serious magnesium and they should all go outside and see if it was flammable. That's DH, giddy with fire!

So, everyone stood back about 30 feet and he lit it....first time off he found a good spot with a high concentration of magnesium. Kids were running all over the place measuring how far the goo bits blew!

Science is fun when DH teaches it....science is safe only because I am there to drench the the fun!

Faith

vinegar, tabasco sauce, sodium, and a magnesium flint at a 4-H meeting?

The chemical reaction forms a soft, gooey expanding substance (similar to expanding foam in a can but softer) that when taken outside and lit with a match, will shoot small little globs of goo twenty feet across the yard! (DH manned the matches, not the boys.)

Two of these middle school boys will be on our national rocketry team. Let the explosions commence!

It's going to be an interesting year. Dh likes flammable substances enough as it is without the encouragement of pubescent, "I feel indestructable" boys.

Faith (who may soon be moving about with a fire extinguisher permanentaly attached to her side)

Cool!

Okay, the boys did not write down their recipe but here is what they recall to the best of their adolescent, middle school knowledge - remember we are talking about males wrapped up in the moment! LOL

One magnesium flint (this was a fairly good size piece)

3/4 in. by 4 in. piece of thin copper sheeting (you can purchase this at a craft store or go ask your hardware store guy for some copper flashing)

1/2 cup each of vinegar (apple cider), 1/2 cup lemon juice, 1 tbsp of salt, 1/4 cup pepsi, 1/4 coffee, and a dash of tabasco sauce.

Suspend the copper and flint from a straw using copper wire (non-insulated wire) into the solution on opposite sides of the jar. The magnesium flint will be your negative electrode. The copper is the positive electrode.

You can check your voltage with a multi-meter....you might convince an electrician to let you borrow one. Voila, you've just created a single cell battery.

Watch the foam grow. You will see this steadily but it isn't like a volcanic eruption either.

When you've got ten inches or so....take it outside and attempt to light it....the goo really isn't dangerous if it shoots off but if you get it on your skin, you might want to wash it off as this is a bit corrosive and may irritate the skin. Certain types of fabrics may also be stained.

Again, no guarantees that it will ignite....the magnesium content varies from piece to piece of goo and the conditions of the experiment. So, you just have to hope you attempt to light a "hot spot".

Faith

I forwarded this to a scarily qualified engineer friend who has worked for NASA and now works for Boeing. He also is very big into model rockets and can build his own motors. Here's his reply:

This is priceless! Thanx. You don't need the coffee, or the tabasco sause. However, an tablespoon of sugar would produce interesting results. Hee hee hee.

I was reading this to dh. I got this far:

One magnesium flint (this was a fairly good size piece)

3/4 in. by 4 in. piece of thin copper sheeting (you can purchase this at a craft store or go ask your hardware store guy for some copper flashing)

1/2 cup each of vinegar (apple cider), 1/2 cup lemon juice, 1 tbsp of salt, 1/4 cup pepsi, 1/4 coffee, and a dash of tabasco sauce.

Suspend the copper and flint ...

and dh told me the rest of the instructions! He also commented that he saw no need for the Tabasco sauce and he wasn't sure the coffee was needed, either. HHmmmm..These engineering guys seem to have a similar amount of background info. He explained exactly what was being created, why it works, and why it may catch fire.

I assume the boys involved with your dh will be anxious for their next meeting and what exciting activities will happen next!