Menu

Quick! Craft ideas for my elderly mom

I'm heading to Michael's tonight and wanted to pick up some craft activities my daughter and I can do with my mom. Mom is 75 and has Parkinsons Disease, as well as some autoimmune diseases, that really get her down. I suggested that she could work on simple crafts with us and she really perked up.

Now, what to get?! Mercifully, her PD is limited to very light tremors (and some days none!), but she is still unsteady with her hands, so no crafts that require a steady hand, etc. I don't want these times to add frustration for her. I thought maybe just glue sticks and foam activities :confused:. I just want her to be able to relax, be creative and use her brain, and have some fun with us :001_smile:.

:bigear: Any thoughts?! Thanks a bunch.

but does she have the dexterity to pick up whole cloves (on the spice aisle) so she could stud an orange with whole cloves? It wouldn't matter whether the cloves were arranged perfectly, and the smell is just heavenly. It would be a nice craft that she'd continue to enjoy.

I'm heading to Michael's tonight and wanted to pick up some craft activities my daughter and I can do with my mom. Mom is 75 and has Parkinsons Disease, as well as some autoimmune diseases, that really get her down. I suggested that she could work on simple crafts with us and she really perked up.

Now, what to get?! Mercifully, her PD is limited to very light tremors (and some days none!), but she is still unsteady with her hands, so no crafts that require a steady hand, etc. I don't want these times to add frustration for her. I thought maybe just glue sticks and foam activities :confused:. I just want her to be able to relax, be creative and use her brain, and have some fun with us :001_smile:.

:bigear: Any thoughts?! Thanks a bunch.

but does she have the dexterity to pick up whole cloves (on the spice aisle) so she could stud an orange with whole cloves? It wouldn't matter whether the cloves were arranged perfectly, and the smell is just heavenly. It would be a nice craft that she'd continue to enjoy.

She absolutely does. Thanks for a great idea!

Anybody else? I'm hoping to pick up some supplies to have on hand while we're out tonight. All craft stores are at least a half hour away from us :glare:.

I saw a cool sock puppet kit that you added on stick on hair and eyes.

You could buy all the stuff for it if they do not have the kit. Here it is:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=sock+puppet+kit&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11079420194115532289&ei=8fmYTP7sJsOC8gaDwIWIAQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCwQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers

A friend's daughter had a job last winter at a senior center near here doign crafts with the residents. Unfortunately, she is at college and I don't know what she did specifically. I do remember that she eventually started doing nails for them, like a manicure..they loved it.

Quick google search turned up these ideas:

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif

And why can’t-crafts-for the elderly also include arts for the elderly? My mother paints in oils and watercolors; my friend who is retired restores antiques. Other elders I have worked with in memoir-writing workshops have continued to write and make their own books (the hand sewn kind) but have also published their own memoirs with small presses. In addition, some have made planters and plant terrariums, while others have done decoupage and wood-burning projects that have yielded family trees, poems, and images as gifts and honors for their loved ones.

Other possibilities as-crafts-for the elderly include (but are not limited to) hand-made greeting cards, pictures, and posters; arts and-crafts-kits; ceramics; weaving; cooking and non-cooking activities; gardening; gift ideas and baskets (from dream catchers to edible bouquets); miniature models and kits (airplanes, cars, trucks); etchings (in brass or on tiles); scrapbooking; science-crafts; sand painting; paper dolls; botanical and other 3-d sculpting.

Granted, those with debilitating conditions or mental deterioration will not be able to nor have interest in gold-flaking the ceiling. But many of our so-called elders are still as active and engaged as they ever were, so they need not be limited to our idea of-crafts- hour in the rec room. The idea is that the elderly should continue to do what they did, what they love to do, and whatever they can do to keep their minds and souls healthy and happy. If that means rejecting a popsicle stick for a paintbrush, all the better! For more information on the best Arts-and-Crafts-For Elderly try visiting Arts-and-Crafts located at http://arts-crafts-magazine.com where you will find valuable information on art-craft, magazine and other information..

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Dominic_Ferrara

http://askville.amazon.com/easy-Arts-Craft-project-elderly-people/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=2491653

http://www.creatingtogetherjournal.com/free%20stuff.html

Do you celebrate Christmas? How about making some ornaments (you'll have to research) to put out every year? If you don't do Christmas, you can think of other decorations to put out. Maybe some sort of felt shape, sewn together, and sew beads on them?

Buy the plain wood picture frames, paint them and have fun gluing what ever decorations on them you want. Then put nice pictures of her and the rest of the family in them.

Have her look through craft books/magazines to see what she'd like to do.

I think it's SO sweet you're doing this with her. We had so much fun with my mom.

Awesome! Thanks so much for all of the ideas. Keep 'em coming! I just got off the phone with her and asked if she had any thoughts on projects. She liked the idea of painting with watercolors :001_smile:. My daughter is working with polymer clay to make beads for her 4-H project. That may be something she'd like, too.

Awesome! Thanks so much for all of the ideas. Keep 'em coming! I just got off the phone with her and asked if she had any thoughts on projects. She liked the idea of painting with watercolors :001_smile:. My daughter is working with polymer clay to make beads for her 4-H project. That may be something she'd like, too.

buy some clay! When my mom got weaker due to the PD, her dr. gave her one of those squishy balls to squeeze to help keep her strength. Working with clay would help, and it's also therapeutic.

Bake bread! Kneading would be WONDERFUL for her!