Menu

CLE Math??

SpiritCatcher

We are using MUS but it just doesn't seem to be working for us. I really liked the idea of mastery but now I am thinking a spiral approach would be a better fit for us.

Do any of you use CLE? Do you love it, hate it, tolerate it (LOL)?

I need to find something that will work for us and get started with it ASAP. I am willing to consider any other math programs so please feel free to throw out any ideas you may have.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Edited by SpiritCatcher

CLE math is solid, thorough, there is plenty of practice of material covered in previous lessons, it is a workbook format, affordable, etc

I have to add one drawback I found is that when new material is introduced there is only a little practice of that new material, and then the lesson goes on to review. THe idea is that this new material will then be reviewed for a long time so the child will (eventually) get it mastered. However, my child struggled with it because he felt like he had so many things he had not yet mastered and still new stuff was being added. I would pause with the workbook and spend a couple of days reviewing only those couple of new subjects just recently introduced.

Another possible drawback is that the sunrise edition only goes to the 800's or 8th grade. THey are now working on algebra 1.

HTH

rmiz

I never thought I would be using a workbook type math program or that my son would thrive in it but I am. CLE has been great for independent work ( as opposed to RS, which I love, but needs me a lot) and the spiral has worked so well for him. He loves knowing there are 4 pages and he's done. It seems to be working, I guess I'll find out in March when he'll be tested but so far it seems to be for us. The Light Units are only like $3.20 so try one ant if it's now for you you're not out much.

Edited by joyofsix

We just switched after using MUS for 2 years. We are loving CLE! I can't believe how much my DD was missing. I do miss the MUS method and still use them to explain things when my kids get stuck, but CLE is a "full" and "complete curriculum. My DD still couldn't tell time after using MUS beta and now after just 7 CLE lessons is proficient in telling time. Unbelievable! I'm

So glad I switched!

My ds10 did CLE 4 math last year and LOVED it. I Loved it! It is very independent, has just the right amount of problems, and my son loved and misses (we have moved on to Saxon) the little stories related at the beginning of each light unit. The only problem I encountered using this curric. is if dc is working on a problem he needs to go back and review where it was introduced you have to go through the LU's to find it. This can be a big pain, I wish they had each problem labeled with the lesson number in which it was introduced (as Saxon does).

The only reason we switched was because eventually we were moving to Saxon. I kind of wish we would have spent one more year with CLE, none the less we are enjoying Saxon. I know people give it a bad wrap, but we think it is a great program for our 10yr old. I don't think I would ever use Saxon 1 through 3.

Blessings,

Adrienne

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I am using Math 100 with my younger son and we really like it as well. I love that he already is doing speed drills. Every lesson works on a word problem, and does placement with tens and ones. Every lesson has a money problem. I would definitely get the TM, it has a ton of stuff to do. Like yesterday it introduced counting by 5's. We have already done 2's and 10s. I like that even in 1st grade it has lots of independent work. This makes our day easier.

My second dd is thriving with CLE math after switching from MUS. I switched my other kids as well, but moved my oldest and third to Math Mammoth. My second dd does really well with the small amount of new material and lots of review. She is a perfectionist, so she tends to freak out a bit over new stuff. However, she feels comfortable and confident doing the review. I wish CLE were secular, but it's great enough that we are willing to use it despite the religious references. :tongue_smilie:

This is our second year with CLE math and my big girls and I love it. They do it very independently and learn really well. They also tested very well at the end of last year. I plan to switch for pre-algebra on, but dd10 really wanted another year with CLE. I'm using Saxon 1 for my k'er and will probably use Saxon with her for one more year before switching her to CLE. I enjoy the time we spend together with Saxon, but I couldn't teach Saxon to multiple kids.

I liked the idea of mastery, too, but after a year and a half of it, I realized my ds needed spiral. It wasn't that he didn't get math because he understands it very well. He just need more practice more often.

I switched from using Horizons followed by BJU to CLE last January. It has been great. I do the beginning part of the lesson with him, then he does the remaining part totally independent. I love that they have a placement test, so you can know just where to start.

You should know that most of the concept teaching instruction is in the teacher's book, rather than the student's.

I actually have my older dd doing CLE's 8th grade math this year. I didn't feel she was quite ready for Algebra 1, so this is going to give her a good solid foundation in math, and it introduces some Algebra 1 topics. I will have to use something else for Algebra 1, because CLE's Sunrise editions only go to 8th grade in Math. Those are their own. Anything that is not Sunrise, is older Alpha Omega materials the company has permission to print.

It is affordable, so you could just order one and give it a try.

I love CLE!!! It has changed my homeschooling experience this year!

But DD is using Saxon because I hope she'll use that into high school. It's because of what Amy posted about in the last post. I don't feel CLE math is strong past 8th grade. She tested into 7th grade.

I love CLE!!! It has changed my homeschooling experience this year!

But DD is using Saxon because I hope she'll use that into high school. It's because of what Amy posted about in the last post. I don't feel CLE math is strong past 8th grade. She tested into 7th grade.

I know that CLE has an Algebra 1 course in testing this year. From what I understand, when it comes out, it's going to be a textbook. I don't know if it will be available next year, so I'm planning on my dd using BJU Alg 1. My best friend has it and offered it to me. Free is always good. It should definitely be available for my younger since he's in 2nd.

I have a math degree, so I feel comfortable teaching any curricula. I've taught Saxon Algebra 2 and Advanced Math in a co-op setting. I definitely think if you are considering it for high school, you should use it all the way through before HS.

We are using MUS but it just doesn't seem to be working for us. I really liked the idea of mastery but now I am thinking a spiral approach would be a better fit for us.

Do any of you use CLE? Do you love it, hate it, tolerate it (LOL)?

I need to find something that will work for us and get started with it ASAP. I am willing to consider any other math programs so please feel free to throw out any ideas you may have.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

If I were you, I would go to the CLE website and look over the math scope and sequence. After looking at it, if you feel confident about the level you need, I would go ahead and buy one or two light units. This shouldn't cost you more than ten dollars. Then try it out. You will have to sit with your dc for the entire lesson for the first couple of weeks because there will be new concepts and you will have to help them through it. It's inevitable since CLE is so thorough and follows a different progression than MUS, but this shouldn't be an obstacle, with all the review you can pick up what you need to know quickly as long as your dc has the basics down. Another option, probably the most recommended one, would be to have your dc take the placement test that you can download from the website. (My dc would have hated that placement test so I never used it and used my method successfully with two dc.) Now, if you find you have to put your dc "below level," don't worry. If you're "behind" in CLE you may actually be ahead, KWIM? It's not hard to move ahead in CLE because one light unit each year is review and there are fewer lessons than school days in each month.

CLE is is wonderful. It may not be for everyone because some dc just don't do so well with a spiral math program, but you'll only know if you try it out. In any case, as long as you jump in at about the right place, the time won't be wasted.

FWIW, I have one dc who doesn't do well with spiral type curriculum and CLE wouldn't have worked for her. Two dc have tried CLE and one went back to Horizons after two months because she had used it for years successfully (we used CLE after she finished Horizons for the year and through the summer). She prefered having a two page math lesson and didn't need the thorough daily review of CLE. I prefer CLE but Horizons is solid, too, so I'm willing to go with what works for her. The dc who does best with CLE really needs constant review of facts and gets through math lessons better when there are a variety of problems.

Hope something here helps!

Guest aquiverfull

I have to add one drawback I found is that when new material is introduced there is only a little practice of that new material, and then the lesson goes on to review. THe idea is that this new material will then be reviewed for a long time so the child will (eventually) get it mastered. However, my child struggled with it because he felt like he had so many things he had not yet mastered and still new stuff was being added.

HTH

rmiz

:iagree: This is been my experience with CLE Math as well. I switched from Horizons for the same exact reason and I haven't found CLE to be any better from that aspect. This is our second year with CLE math, and I'm currently thinking of switching my dd to MM. She's currently using CLE 6 but places only in Math Mammoth 4 because I have found that CLE is not truly teaching her how to understand the concepts. We have found that there is not enough actual teaching of new material. There is absolutely no help in the Teacher's Manual. So if you are used to Mr. Demme teaching, and your child does well with that, you may disappointed in the actual instruction found in the CLE light units.

Edited by aquiverfull