Menu

Looking for 7th Grade Secular Life Science

JaniceO

I think the only ones that exist are CPO and Prentice Hall, but I thought I'd try. I am in desperate need of science for my 7th grader. I was going to buy CPO, but the price of the books on Amazon have gone WAY up. We've already started our school year, so I really need something fast. I want him to do Life Science this year to stay on track with the PS since he will be going back to PS.

Holy cow, those CPO Life textbook prices are nuts! The TE is much more reasonable (found for about $34 on abebooks or alibris) but you still need the student book.

I'd probably go with Prentice Hall for life science. You could pick and choose the individual books, based on your son's interests, or go with the big volume. My older two used PH at their private grade school and I thought the books were quite good. Definitely better than other textbooks!

My 7th grader is using OM's Life Science this year and thoroughly enjoying it.

We have all three middle school OM science programs, and none of them have grade levels on them or are discernible as being for a particular grade level. I use them out of order because we follow CA's traditional science sequence. (We're CA transplants.)

What about the Plato Learning/ CyberEd courses? I haven't used them myself, but I have friends that have been very happy with them.

We are using the Life Science course right now. There are worksheets that correspond to each segment, in addition to the online modules. IMO, you would want to supplement with at least some lab materials (e.g., T&K's Genetics & DNA, a microscope, K'Nex's DNA models, experiments with plants and animals, an owl pellet, froguts.com or a real dissection, Science in a Nutshell projects - not necessarily all of these, but something) and some reading (Eyewitness books, Cartoon Guide to the Environment, etc.).

Holy cow, those CPO Life textbook prices are nuts! The TE is much more reasonable (found for about $34 on abebooks or alibris) but you still need the student book.

WOW, those prices are insane! :eek: Apparently the word is out - I got my CPO books a bit over a year ago when not many had heard of it here, and I got the student editions for $12, shrinkwrapped with the lab book! Guess it's not a low-cost option anymore... :001_huh:

Thank you!!! I will be checking out all of these options tonight after we finish school and get some more boxes unpacked. Is the Focus On CPO books the same as the regular ones? I don't know why I am leary about using them, but I am desperate and it is a cheaper option.

Janice, I'm answering here so others see it, instead of replying by pm. The only difference between the "regular" CPO textbooks and the CPO California edition "Focus on earth/life/physical" textbooks is in sequence. Some topics in the "regular" earth science book are shifted to the "Focus on" physical science book, and vice versa, because of California's state education mandates. Someone explained it on this board---I ran across that information when doing a search in the spring.

I only went with the "regular" textbook for earth science because dd wanted to study something this year that was moved to the physical science text. I'll have to continue with the "regular" textbook for physical science because of that choice.

I am not sure if there is much, if any, difference between the two versions for life science :)

Thank you!!! I will be checking out all of these options tonight after we finish school and get some more boxes unpacked. Is the Focus On CPO books the same as the regular ones? I don't know why I am leary about using them, but I am desperate and it is a cheaper option.

Focus on has 2 sections less than the regular CPO Life Sci.

Look here: http://www.cpo.com/ca/tp_fls_textbook.shtml and compare to here: http://www.cpo.com/home/Portals/2/Media/post_sale_content/LSN/samples/LSN_SE_TOC.pdf