Menu

Writing Tales Feedback

I am considering using Writing Tales 1 for my ds(9) who is in third grade. I would love to hear feedback from anyone who has used this program. Do the children have a hard time rewriting the story in their own words? So far he has only used WWE which doesn't expect a lot of writing or creativity yet.

I think it will definitely vary from child to child, but my daughter is not having difficulties with the narration. We had done some oral narrations before but not many written ones. The first week on a piece is strict retelling--no creative touches. The next week you are allowed to add those creative touches, while still keeping the basic story idea the same. We just finished week 6, and so far so good. :001_smile:

Edited by Dawn E

This curriculum fit my sons and me. We worked it daily. It was enjoyable because the program was user friendly. The instructions to the teacher were simple and easy to implement the lessons. The children had so much fun adding their own creative touches. They loved changing the stories and making up stuff. I also used the grammar games in the teacher's guide. My older son after a while figured out how to do the lessons by himself. My younger son just loved that he could tell his own stories.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I've not used WT1 but we did use WT2 when my ds was in 5th and LOVED it. Even to this day it stands as our favorite writing curriculum to date. He NEVER complained about the writing assignments. Some of the grammar was pretty easy for him, but the writing was a lot of fun. I wish I could say the same thing for Classical Writing. Not fun, not fun, not fun. :tongue_smilie:

I am considering using Writing Tales 1 for my ds(9) who is in third grade. I would love to hear feedback from anyone who has used this program. Do the children have a hard time rewriting the story in their own words? So far he has only used WWE which doesn't expect a lot of writing or creativity yet.

We used WT1 in 4th grade and are on WT2 in 5th grade. Before that he did WWE 1 and 2 in 3rd grade. I am pretty sure we are going to go on to CW Homer next and 6th grade is the earliest I want to get there.

I feel like the basic premise is very similar to WWE. You read a short stories and tell them back. I also think it is important to remember what is a big focus of WWE, not to let thier ability to tell a story be dependant on their physical ability to write things down.

When we started WT1 last year I would purposely reschedule our week so we could spend more days writing the story and combine some of the easier days. I also would sit him down with a specific part of the story to write- 1-3 sentences at a time (just about the same amount he was writing in WWE 2), then we would take a break, or I would write for him.

We did quickly move to him typing, and this year he usually drafts the whole thing in one day, although still sometimes in two sessions.

He never chooses to make any creative changes- and really these were just added in to make the program more appealing to kids who want that, so don't worry if yours doesn't want to.