Menu

Dear Everyone Who Kept Telling Me to Try EPGY Math,

can I hijack for a moment? We're still pretty new to using this (a few weeks so far, for supplementing/accelerating - my kids go to school). I thought I had seen references on message boards to yahoo groups discussing EPGY, but when I go to yahoo and search for groups, all I have seen are groups for parents of kids at certain schools. Did I miss something? Can anyone link me to a yahoo group where I can read about others who do EPGY?

I'm pretty happy with it so far. Sometimes I have trouble finding a relevant lecture to the problem at hand (I probably need to look more carefully at this). Sometimes the kids have difficulty with the geometry buttons and selecting lines (hard to see). But I'm so glad I signed them up!

In fact, the kids have been on the computer so much that I finally broke down and ordered one for them to share, and it just arrived moments ago :D (ds4, who recently re-discovered starfall and is learning to use the mouse by himself, is clamoring for me to open the box - I need to eat lunch first!! thank goodness the big kids aren't home right now)

can I hijack for a moment? We're still pretty new to using this (a few weeks so far, for supplementing/accelerating - my kids go to school). I thought I had seen references on message boards to yahoo groups discussing EPGY, but when I go to yahoo and search for groups, all I have seen are groups for parents of kids at certain schools. Did I miss something? Can anyone link me to a yahoo group where I can read about others who do EPGY?

I'd like to know this, too. I did open-enrollment, not enrollment through a group.

My son flew through Singapore like it wasn't even there. Since then, I've been trying to find a curriculum that is a good fit (tried a few- he complains they're all "boring", meaning "too easy") and in the meantime I've been buying tons of workbooks for him to use. I don't like teaching through JUST workbooks because I feel it isn't complete. So, I signed up for EPGY and I love it (and so does he). I can set the level so it's challenging enough for him. The instructions are clear, verbal, and good for advanced kids- it's visual, which they need, yet it's stimulating. He can do as many lessons as he wants. They're in timed 20 minute intervals. Yesterday, he did 2, today he did 3. I feel it is completely WORTH my money because I can keep up with him and his needs without having to constantly go buy new stuff (a pain right now because our local homeschooling store is closed while they move). If he is past something, I can bump up his lesson level and move on. It's fun for him, too.

I'd like to know this, too. I did open-enrollment, not enrollment through a group.

I'm not aware of any groups that aren't specific to a school or in the case of Open Enrollment (OE), specific to the "class", as is mine. :) If I come across any I will be sure to mention them.

Primarily this is because there are so many different setting options and program applications that are specific to the class and the SSA's, as well as more confidential information related to students, so most are invite only and not searchable.

We have done EPGY in the past. Right now my 10 year old is doing ALEKS.com which is much cheaper, and using Kahn Academy videos the rare times the "Explain" button doesn't provide him with enough instruction in ALEKS. Unfortunately, he occasionally spends hours on Khan academy video detours if I don't keep track of it and make sure he does his other subjects (especially writing in which he is weak) first.

I love EPGY, but it is just so very expensive. I'm saving it for when he gets past what he can do in ALEKS now, and I am supplementing with AoPS for more theory/math play and using Khan Academy for video instruction as needed.

We have done EPGY in the past. Right now my 10 year old is doing ALEKS.com which is much cheaper, and using Kahn Academy videos the rare times the "Explain" button doesn't provide him with enough instruction in ALEKS. Unfortunately, he occasionally spends hours on Khan academy video detours if I don't keep track of it and make sure he does his other subjects (especially writing in which he is weak) first.

I love EPGY, but it is just so very expensive. I'm saving it for when he gets past what he can do in ALEKS now, and I am supplementing with AoPS for more theory/math play and using Khan Academy for video instruction as needed.

EPGY's open enrollment program is $45 per 3 months, so as far as I can see, that's cheaper than ALEKS. Is there some aspect that ALEKS has that EPGY-OE doesn't have, does anyone know? Just wondering. Maybe I'll make another thread.

I've used EPGY, Aleks, and Singapore. I'm back to Singapore. I agree that early levels of Singapore do "seem" easy. Kids that are math inclined can often just skip up a ways. My 4th grader is now doing Singapore NEM 1 (early Alg 1/Geometry). We didn't start homeschooling him until 2nd grade.

I would say all of these option can work. But Aleks I would definitely supplement with additional problem solving. And I didn't find EPGY as rigorous for problem solving as Singapore either. The nice thing about EPGY is it designed for GT kids that don't need as much reinforcement. I've found a good fit with Singapore just modifying the problem sets and emphasizing the difficult problem solving.

I actually would have considered jumping into EPGY again with the new open enroll, but I don't think you can get Algebra at the same reduced price as the elementary sequence. :crying: My son would love it I'm sure for something different for a while. Regardless, there's lots of good ways to get elementary math done in a rigorous way for gifted kids!

For the record, I have a math degree so I spend way too much time obsessing about math curriculum and options! :tongue_smilie:

• 4 weeks later...
Did you figure out how to enroll in EPGY because when I called today they said that I would have to be with a group to enroll. Do you know how I could get added to this group?

Thanks Christine c.apgar@att.net

Did you try enrolling at http://epgy.stanford.edu/openenroll/index.html ? My kids are enrolled there for $45 per three months, not part of a group.