Menu

Curriculum decisions in the family

bbrandonsmom

I usually make the decisions regarding curriculum, but I do consult dh and bounce ideas off of him. He listens well and gives me intelligent answers. He also teaches art, leads some of the more daunting SOTW projects, and this year he's going to be in charge of a whole 7-week unit on Rocks and Minerals (he's a gemologist), and explore Electronics with ds for 6 weeks. It works out, as I have a baby due on Feb 6!

Congratulations! :hurray:

Quote:

Originally Posted by PenKase viewpost.gif

PHP Code:

The only time I really specifically mention something is if I'm spending money. DH always trusts that I'm spending wisely :D so doesn't ever question but I feel it's a courtesy to at least mention it.

This is us.

PHP Code:

I do think it's important for both parents to be involved-especially if it's a new thing (like for us). But dh would never sit and look at all the curric choices and pick one-thats my job.

Yup, me too. Dh would rather roll over and play dead than to look through all our hs stuff.

Although this is also my first official year homeschooling, I have always heavily supplemented my dc's ps education. Our dd's have always been at the top of their class each year. DH credits their success to the hard work and dedicated effort I put forth in reading, researching, and teaching. As a result he willingly and gladly entrusts all curriculum choices to me. He has, however, asked for an overview/outline of what dd will be studying this year. He knows I'm a zealot when it comes to our children's educaton and trusts I will to what is needed and what is best.

Just curious, how on earth did you do those quotes? I've neer seen anything like that with the bar & that code that came up.

No thread stealin here......just answering the pp's question.

Just highlight text and click on the blue php icon. HTH

Guest momk2000
My husband hasn't a clue what I am teaching........ and talking to him about it really is nothing more than talking AT him. He just nods his head as the words scatter around him in a heap. :D :lol::lol:

Ditto for me. :D

I agree... I think what is most important is that you are both happy with your system and that it works for your family.

I've never met anyone homeschooling the way we are. My husband is the primary teacher three days a week. I teach one day a week and work full time, but not on a traditional schedule. He get's that one day off for his fun comic book store job. I do all the curriculum selection and research, he's not so into that part, but he obviously has a lot of input since he is the one who has to implement said curriculum. Some things we divide up--he always teaches Latin because he has the Latin background, I take anything poetry related or crafty. We believe that family learning is a lifestyle, and our "in it together" approach reflects that focus.

This is our first year homeschooling (1st grade). My wife does the teaching. I do all of the curriculum research, which includes scanning forums such as these. I then present my research to her and we discuss the options.

Coming to a joint decision about our homeschooling style was a lot more important to us than deciding on specific curriculum. Most topics my wife went with what felt easier and/or more "right" to her, but I made the math recommendation all by myself (having a math and math/ed background).

Currently, I create all the lesson plans for math and coach my wife on effective math teaching, research and obtain supplementary materials for history, and give my daughter piano lessons on Saturdays.

I agree... I think what is most important is that you are both happy with your system and that it works for your family.

I've never met anyone homeschooling the way we are. My husband is the primary teacher three days a week. I teach one day a week and work full time, but not on a traditional schedule. He get's that one day off for his fun comic book store job. I do all the curriculum selection and research, he's not so into that part, but he obviously has a lot of input since he is the one who has to implement said curriculum. Some things we divide up--he always teaches Latin because he has the Latin background, I take anything poetry related or crafty. We believe that family learning is a lifestyle, and our "in it together" approach reflects that focus.

This is great--different than most but works for you. I do know one family around here where the father does all of the homeschooling (he now works at home & his wife works outside the house due to some kind of job or economy shift and it's been this way for a few years), but none with your kind of set up.

As far as curriculum choices, my husband leaves it all up to me, including the research and spending.

As far as teaching...

For K last year, he had some idea of what we were doing but mostly stayed out of it except reading aloud. This year I am going to definitely have him more involved, as I've developed this fear that if something were to happen to me both he and the kids would be completely lost about where this is all going and bad things would happen as a result.

So I'm putting the lesson plans online and giving him the password. I'm also going to go over all the materials and how they work and why they were chosen. We'll review at the end of the month, else I'll get a blog going. I'm going to have him do more reading aloud, mostly because I have a thyroid problem which makes my throat really tired and sore if I read aloud for too long, but also because while I love to read, I really don't enjoy reading to other people. I'm also going to have him do the science materials on weekends. We're both science majors, but he has more tolerance for messes and he enjoys weekend projects.

Shhhh...I have a secret plan to have him do Latin when we get to it. :tongue_smilie:

He really only has one rule and that's that the kids don't use computers. He's a geek (actually we both are) and he strongly believes peoples' relationships with computers would be much improved if they understood how they worked and controlled them before using them. So in a couple of years he and DS will build a Linux box from scratch and we'll go from there. That will be mostly up to him.

DH is my sounding board. He listened to me debate endlessly which curriculum to purchase (a looooooong debate since this is our first year homeschooling!) and while at times his eyes did glaze over a bit, for the most part he listened and gave me some great support. Not much feedback, but he is really a great sounding board. :D

He is also in the "you teach, so you decide" tribe. But also tends to defer to me, my experience, and my research when it comes to parenting choices. We discuss stuff, but I can't think of any time he didn't agree with me once he knew why I felt a certain way.

DH is a co-teacher in our house though, cuz I also work FT out of the house evenings. I do all the primary teaching, while DH does the "homework" and PE part of it. DH gets the fun stuff like watching videos and playing games to reinforce what we learned that day, or taking him to playdates and dance classes, or just the two of them goofing at the park. Or teaching him sports - like this morning I woke up to them play pingpong using my kitchen table! :tongue_smilie:

Basically DH is responsible for reinforcing our formal lessons and teaching him stuff that I wouldn't think to teach him - like how to change the oil on the car or how to breakdance. :lol:

Yet again Mommy is feeding and nuturing and guiding his education while Daddy gets to play play play. :tongue_smilie:

All curriculum choices are mine. Dh doesn't even know the names of all the things we use. During planning, I sometimes talk about options with him just because it helps me to talk it out. He will look at something and give his opinion if I ask, but he doesn't want to be the one to research, narrow down choices, and decide.