Menu

Advice on grammer

wy_kid_wrangler04

How long would you do it with a dc who understands it-- for the most part-- but gets very confused easily and just frustrated with certain topics? She is not a strong in english but does ok. She understands english- don't get me wrong- but when it comes to certain things it is just frustrating her. She is very much a perfectionist, so when she gets it wrong its VERY hard on her and she just beats herself up over it and I think that turns it into a snowball effect. It is even more frustrating to her that her little sister is a complete natural (it seems in everything)

OK- I guess since I am probably not explaining this well let me give you an example.

All the children in kindergarten are under 6 years old.

The directions Underline the complete subject, double underline the complete predicate, circle the simple subject and circle the simple predicate. So it should look like this () will be used for my circles

(All) the children in kindergarten (are) under 6 years old

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ================= (dots just to get double underline in correct spot)

She just can not wrap her mind around all being the simple subject instead of children and are being simple predicate. I tried explaining to her that it is talking about all the children and its just very frustrating to her.

She gets most of her english most of the time but when she does not it is beyond frustrating to her. We are using Applications of Grammar book 1

which is for 7th grade. So what would you do? I really like this series (this is our first year using it though because it is for 7th-12th grade)

She does really good with school. It does not all come easy for her, she does have to really work at some subjects more than others (english and math, although math is really starting to click for her) and others she seems to be a natural in (history, science, health, geography, she is a total bookworm) Now, she does do very well, she gets atleast a 90% with actually understanding the work before moving on, sometimes it takes longer to move on than others. I am lost. What would you do in this situation? I know a strong english foundation is important, and like I said she does extremely good with 85-90% of her english. Would you just slow it down and keep plugging away? (what I am doing now) Find a new program? (I really like this one though :confused:)

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04
corrected misspellings

I'll admit that we are much less concerned with grammar than many families here, so you might take my advice with a grain of salt.

When she writes how is her grammar? Do her subjects and verbs usually agree? Does she do okay with punctuation? Does she use complete sentances? Does she misplace modifiers? Do her sentances usually make sense?

If you feel like she is okay for 7th grade, then I wouldn't do a formal grammar. I would only talk about it with her writing.

I'll admit that we are much less concerned with grammar than many families here, so you might take my advice with a grain of salt.

When she writes how is her grammar? Do her subjects and verbs usually agree? Does she do okay with punctuation? Does she use complete sentances? Does she misplace modifiers? Do her sentances usually make sense?

If you feel like she is okay for 7th grade, then I wouldn't do a formal grammar. I would only talk about it with her writing.

She does all this just perfect. I like your suggestion about just doing it with her writing. Maybe I will do that. I would like to finish this book since we have it, but maybe we will work through it more light. I mean, she isn't going into anything career wise where she will need all the super advanced stuff. I don't want to kill her love for learning either. She is an awesome student and an awesome kid and her whole demeanor changes when we pull out her english book. This curriculum does get into more writing in later books. Maybe I will just put it away for now and start her poetry unit. She has been looking forward to that.

I'd pause on that lesson and insert your own lesson on collective nouns. This is something she can pick up quickly when put in a group context.

This website has lots of examples similar to the one you listed.

This one helps with verb (sing. or pl.) with collective nouns.

HTH!

I'd also do some off the wall art projects (abstract in nature) to work out that perfectionism....it can grow into an ugly monster. It's okay to struggle, that is the human way :) :grouphug: from one perfectionist to another.

I'd pause on that lesson and insert your own lesson on collective nouns. This is something she can pick up quickly when put in a group context.

This website has lots of examples similar to the one you listed.

This one helps with verb (sing. or pl.) with collective nouns.

HTH!

I'd also do some off the wall art projects (abstract in nature) to work out that perfectionism....it can grow into an ugly monster. It's okay to struggle, that is the human way :) :grouphug: from one perfectionist to another.

Thank you for those links.

Now on to the abstract art thing.... we tried that :crying:-- I am scared of that word now... although dh and I have talked about attempting again- but SLOWER by adding abstract into other areas S L O W L Y. All at once does NOT work for her.