Menu

I just want to read a book....

without s*x in it. I cannot stand reading books where s*x is described in flower-y "throbbing" language. I can handle books where people fall in love, but I don't want to read about how their body parts are responding. The three or so books I've read by Nicholas Sparks have been fine....people fall in love, they might sleep together, but the metaphorical bedroom door is closed and I don't have to read about it.

Anyone with me on this? Can you make some suggestions?

I cannot stand reading books where s*x is described in flower-y "throbbing" language.

:lol::lol:

I agree with you. I'm reading 52 books in 52 weeks and I think I've discarded more books than I've read.

BTW, the link in your siggy didn't work when I tried it. :-(

Edited by Daisy

Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey novels are some that I revisit often; in the later ones there's some romance, but definitely no throbbing detail! :lol:

Second these.

Also the more modern series No.1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith set in Botswana and the Miss Julia series by Ann Ross set in North Carolina. The first series is a great read, clever stories, simply charming. The second series is frothy but fun, a good Southern feel, especially in the early books.

Good luck.

Trust, me I'm not a romance section reader at. all. blech. ick. and all.

I cannot remember which couple books I read a while back...the one I think it was My Sisters Keeper (?)...and I found the subject compelling enough to read through, but there were som intimate sections with the lawyer or P.I. or somebody that I found to be just gratuitous scenes....did little to help advance the plot in my mind.

There were even some Christian novels I read a few years ago that "left the bedroom door open" (if you catch my drift) that I thought was over the top.

THanks to all who offered some book suggestions. I remembering hearing about the ladies' detective books and thinking they would be good to try out. I gues I'll stick with Nicholas Sparks. He actually surprised me with the ending of a recent book I read.