Menu

Have you read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

I read it aloud to mine a couple of yrs ago--I'd guess they were 5 & 7. I don't *remember* anything wrong w/ it...it was at least good enough that I could easily edit on the fly, but I really think it was fine. Hopefully someone w/ a fresher reading will chime in. :001_smile:

One of our favs!

Yes, it is appropriate, if you are ok with Roald Dahl's sense of humor in general.

Basically, 4 kids are spoiled in different ways, and they come together to tour Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. Charlie is not spoiled--he lives in incredible poverty (they eat cabbage soup every day) but it is "fairy tale" poverty, not scary or overwhelming.

Unlike the movie (with Gene Wilder), Charlie does nothing wrong during his trip to the factory--I wish they hadn't put that part in the movie.

Anyway, we thought it was a fun read.

Awesome! We've seen the movie a few times and DD loves it. We've been talking about how books are adapted to make movies and this one came up since she's seen the movie recently so she asked if she could read it. I'd love to talk with her about how a book is different from the movie made about it (and will obviously read it too). I got the book this afternoon and told her I'd pre-read it to decide if she could read it, but she's begging to start and it seems cruel to make her wait. The Hive comes to the rescue once again! LOL!

She's not generally freaked out by things, but Amazon lists the age as 9-12, which makes me nervous when it comes to themes/situations that might not be appropriate for a 6-yo to be reading. Now I can give it to her and not worry about it. :)

Dahl was a great sympathizer of children and he arranges for the bad children AND adults to get their just desserts in the book. My ds read it in one day when he was 6. FWIW, if you plan on seeing the movie later, IMO the newer one can't hold a candle to the Gene Wilder version from the 1970's. Plot was changed, pointlessly IMO, and the basic message of the story was altered.

Just read it here, totally fine, and we are VERY conservative. Warning: in the Gene Wilder movie, I fast forward through the part when they get into the boat and go into the tunnel-some scary scenes while they go through the tunnel. (Like the movie otherwise, but agree with the others here-WHY did they change the plot?)

Dahl was a great sympathizer of children and he arranges for the bad children AND adults to get their just desserts in the book. My ds read it in one day when he was 6. FWIW, if you plan on seeing the movie later, IMO the newer one can't hold a candle to the Gene Wilder version from the 1970's. Plot was changed, pointlessly IMO, and the basic message of the story was altered.

I couldn't get past the orange oompa loompas and their silly songs in the Gene Wilder version. The songs in the book were my favorite parts.

The Gene Wilder version creeped me out when I was a kid. But then, Gene Wilder is creepy. :D

I was completely delighted w/ the Johnny Depp version, although I approached it w/ some hesitation, given the original. My kids liked the Depp version, too, but they haven't seen the older one. I don't know if I could torture them like that. ;):lol:

I love Roald Dahl!!

He is a dear friend from my childhood. :) I always smile when dd takes one of his books off the shelf.

I also adore Gene Wilder, he will always be Willy Wonka to me. I did like the Johnny Depp version. Some of it hilarious and more true to the book than the Gene Wilder version, some was kind of goofy (I do still laugh at the puppet bits) I just love Gene Wilder in that movie.

Edited by Sis

This is reassuring to hear. I mentioned to a friend I was thinking about letting DD read it and she gave me a questioning look and asked if I'd read it. And then told me that his books aren't quite what I might expect. From the way she said it, she had me a little worried. I am SO GLAD to hear that it has so many stamps of approval. :)

I had seen the movie several times as a kid and finally read the book a few years ago, and I have to say, I found it hilarious.

It is DEFINITELY along the line of a "cautionary tale" -- the book even more so than the movie. The Oompa Loompas much more directly point out the bad behavior of the kids and that their punishment fits the crime. Charlie, the main character, is a very good boy who loves his family and lives with both sets of grandparents, and definitely is set up in the traditional tale sense of a hero going on a journey and overcoming obstacles.

That being said, I read a book a few years ago, "X Saves The World : How Generation X Got The Shaft But Can Still Keep Everything From Sucking" by Jeff Gordinier, and he said that said that watching Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the movie) was a key experience for Generation X members and Charlie set their moral compass because he is not a sell-out, unlike ALL the other kids. It's a fascinating theory -- the rest of Gordinier's book is fairly boring, in my opinion, but that 2 page discussion is worth reading.

We read this for book club and discussed it with the girls and moms who were around 7 or 8, I think. My daughter and a couple of others were struck by the sadness and poverty. Charlie was so poor and they had so little to eat that he had to find ways to conserve his energy to get through a school day. If I recall, we almost cried when he spent the money on the candy.

It is a good book, a great one, but I think you should be prepared to discuss that if your kiddo is sensitive to that kind of thing.

This is reassuring to hear. I mentioned to a friend I was thinking about letting DD read it and she gave me a questioning look and asked if I'd read it. And then told me that his books aren't quite what I might expect. From the way she said it, she had me a little worried. I am SO GLAD to hear that it has so many stamps of approval. :)

This book is adorable and is much beloved in our house. The Chocolate Factory sequel and other Ronald Dahl - not so much.