Menu

Just ordered BJU Heritage Studies....Lord help me. 8/

Melissa in CA

I'm nearly in the same spot. Ds2 is in 7th. We started up again with TOG after a year break. I thought my TOG woes were primarily due to our co-op situation. Now I'm thinking that's not it. I love the concept of TOG, but it just isn't working well with us. Again. Ds would also prefer a text. I'm seriously considering just getting BJU. But I really don't want to spend more money. Ugh. Right now we're trying out History Odyssey's Try Before You Buy. It's only been two weeks, but I'm not sure this is the right thing for us, either.

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. :001_smile:

Cinder

We made the switch a few years ago. This is our third year with textbooks. The kiddos like it though. Before, history was not getting done because it was getting hard for me to gather my brood together.

This year we are using Bob Jones. I have the teacher manuals but am not using them, otherwise we'd be in the same boat of the kiddos waiting for me.

I have the children read the textbook pages and do the activity sheets on their own.

Textbooks aren't as bad as people make them out to be ;). You can always add a timeling or have the children outline a chapter. Like us, use the worksheets.

We made the switch a few years ago. This is our third year with textbooks. The kiddos like it though. Before, history was not getting done because it was getting hard for me to gather my brood together.

This year we are using Bob Jones. I have the teacher manuals but am not using them, otherwise we'd be in the same boat of the kiddos waiting for me.

I have the children read the textbook pages and do the activity sheets on their own.

Textbooks aren't as bad as people make them out to be ;). You can always add a timeling or have the children outline a chapter. Like us, use the worksheets.

I didn't order the Activity Manual. Should I have? I looked online but BJU didn't offer a sample of what's inside them...so I was afraid it would be a bunch of activities we wouldn't need that would end up making history too time-consuming again. Can you tell me what I am missing by not having them?? I went with Heritage 7, even though my ds is in 8th, due to where we are in TOG. I figured he could just read, do the section review questions, take any quizzes/tests and call it good. Maybe I would add in a whole book here and there, like a biography. Now I am wondering if I should order the Act. Manual....

I didn't order the Activity Manual. Should I have? I looked online but BJU didn't offer a sample of what's inside them...so I was afraid it would be a bunch of activities we wouldn't need that would end up making history too time-consuming again. Can you tell me what I am missing by not having them?? I went with Heritage 7, even though my ds is in 8th, due to where we are in TOG. I figured he could just read, do the section review questions, take any quizzes/tests and call it good. Maybe I would add in a whole book here and there, like a biography. Now I am wondering if I should order the Act. Manual....

I'm wondering about the AM too--also thinking of using 7. I read in the Rainbow Resource catalog that the AM is an essential part of the program up through 8th grade. But I also hate having to spend that much more $.

:bigear:

Cinder

I'm wondering about the AM too--also thinking of using 7. I read in the Rainbow Resource catalog that the AM is an essential part of the program up through 8th grade. But I also hate having to spend that much more $.

Cinder

Hey, there! I hope you are doing well!

I started last year with BJU 7th as a spine. I was having dd do outlining of the text and adding in historical fiction. I thought the textbook was set up very well for outlining.

I thought the AM was a good add on. It did have some map work in it as well as some good add in stuff. Did I think every page was great? No, but enough for me to have bought it.

I decided to switch because the book is not entirely chronological, but I did think it was good. I switched to Kingfisher and had her finish all of world history with it. Sometimes I had her do outlines or notebook pages. I still added in historical fiction.

I don't have the 7th grade textbook itself right now, because I loaned it to a friend, but I do have BJU 8th on hand, including the AM, if anyone has questions about it.

Cinder

OK, I just ordered it from CBD. They actually have a sample to view...not much of one, but at least it's something. I read also that it contains the mapping assignments for each chapter. I'll pick and choose which assignments I think are most beneficial. With TE it was an extra $55 tho! Ugh! If all goes well and he finishes the year with BJU though, then I'll have a beautiful TOG Y2 in print to sell...along with books! I'll [sadly] get my money back. =(

I just looked at my siggy and without TOG it's full of textbooks now. The one subject I said I'd never want to use a textbook on...history. Makes me soooo sad! Never say never. :tongue_smilie:

I thought the AM was a good add on. It did have some map work in it as well as some good add in stuff. Did I think every page was great? No, but enough for me to have bought it.

Thanks for the input about the AM. And about the outlining. Ds still has a hard time with outlining, so he still needs work there. I think I'm forgetting that just because I use a text doesn't mean I have to give up all those good WTM ideas.

BTW, we're doing well. Mostly. Except for deciding on a history program. Ds is taking outside classes and they've already completed 6 weeks. If we switch history, I want to be able to finish up when his classes finish, not drag it out through summer. I don't want ds to feel punished for my switching up programs on him.

OK, I just ordered it from CBD. They actually have a sample to view...not much of one, but at least it's something. I read also that it contains the mapping assignments for each chapter. I'll pick and choose which assignments I think are most beneficial. With TE it was an extra $55 tho! Ugh! If all goes well and he finishes the year with BJU though, then I'll have a beautiful TOG Y2 in print to sell...along with books! I'll [sadly] get my money back. =(

I just looked at my siggy and without TOG it's full of textbooks now. The one subject I said I'd never want to use a textbook on...history. Makes me soooo sad! Never say never. :tongue_smilie:

I have a homeschool store fairly nearby (35-40 min drive--ugh!), so I'm planning to go there this week to actually look. Unfortunately for me, I bought TOG DE. Fortunately, I only bought units 3 and 4. Still, it's a chunk of money.

I'm with you on the textbooks. This will be our first venture into using texts for history. I think I've just been in denial all these years, though. I was so smitten with WTM from the beginning--when ds1 was in 1st (10 years ago)--that I've been reluctant to admit that my ds's prefer textbooks. I kept saying to myself, This way is better! But textbooks fit my ds's learning style better. So that's ok, right? I mean, that's actually a good thing then.

Sorry for the hijack. Thanks to all for helping me think this through.

Cinder

Thanks for the input about the AM. And about the outlining. Ds still has a hard time with outlining, so he still needs work there. I think I'm forgetting that just because I use a text doesn't mean I have to give up all those good WTM ideas.

BTW, we're doing well. Mostly. Except for deciding on a history program. Ds is taking outside classes and they've already completed 6 weeks. If we switch history, I want to be able to finish up when his classes finish, not drag it out through summer. I don't want ds to feel punished for my switching up programs on him.

I have a homeschool store fairly nearby (35-40 min drive--ugh!), so I'm planning to go there this week to actually look. Unfortunately for me, I bought TOG DE. Fortunately, I only bought units 3 and 4. Still, it's a chunk of money.

I'm with you on the textbooks. This will be our first venture into using texts for history. I think I've just been in denial all these years, though. I was so smitten with WTM from the beginning--when ds1 was in 1st (10 years ago)--that I've been reluctant to admit that my ds's prefer textbooks. I kept saying to myself, This way is better! But textbooks fit my ds's learning style better. So that's ok, right? I mean, that's actually a good thing then.

Sorry for the hijack. Thanks to all for helping me think this through.

Cinder

Ah...to have a local homeschool store. That would feel like a complete luxury. :D

You know, I have often planned to use a BJU history text for outlining purposes. In fact, I already own the Word Studies student text because I wanted it for outlining this year. Unfortunately though, my ds's TOG history is so full that I have yet to have him outline from it. So, I'm thinking perhaps this switch will be a good thing, you know? Not only will everything be succinct and in one easy to find place for him, but I can also assign outlining from his actual history book instead of pulling it from another text (which never seems to happen). He already outlines his BJU science text (which he LOVES) so having a BJU history text will fit in nicely.

Also, I have been thinking about this history thing. You see up until this year my ds has enjoyed a whole book approach to history. We've used SL and TOG over the years. He has never actually used a textbook for history....ever. Perhaps with age comes change? He is ready for change. He is ready for History to be simplified. It has always been the most time consuming subject in our school. He sees all his friends using one simple history text, while he has books and books to read each week on a subject that he's not as interested in anymore. So...we'll try a 'change' this year. No biggie. BJU is still a very good history choice, it's not like he won't continue to learn. And, if next year he wants to go back to TOG, I have a brand new unopened TOG Y3 in print just waiting for him. ;) If not, and he really thrives with BJU, then so be it. I'll survive the heartbreak. Somehow.:D

We are using BJU's American Republic this year (new edition). I LOVE the Activity Manual. It has original documents, speeches, poems, eyewitness accounts, etc. in it. The student is asked to respond to these and sometimes the questions are quite thought-provoking and difficult. My son has read ahead in the AM because some of the accounts are so fascinating. It also has some map work, chart/table reading, and reviews. I am VERY pleased with the AM (and the text, too).

I never, never thought I would go to a textbook for history. But when our little surprise came along (baby girl), I realized I could not keep the in-depth, living books, Mom-led history going. Now I have one boy in American Republic and one in Heritage Studies 5. We don't use the teacher's manuals for these (but we do for the science). Both boys are enjoying them AND learning quite a bit.

HTH!

Jetta

Ah...to have a local homeschool store. That would feel like a complete luxury. :D

I just got back from the store. :D

Also, I have been thinking about this history thing. You see up until this year my ds has enjoyed a whole book approach to history. We've used SL and TOG over the years. He has never actually used a textbook for history....ever. Perhaps with age comes change? He is ready for change. He is ready for History to be simplified. It has always been the most time consuming subject in our school. He sees all his friends using one simple history text, while he has books and books to read each week on a subject that he's not as interested in anymore. So...we'll try a 'change' this year. No biggie. BJU is still a very good history choice, it's not like he won't continue to learn. And, if next year he wants to go back to TOG, I have a brand new unopened TOG Y3 in print just waiting for him. ;) If not, and he really thrives with BJU, then so be it. I'll survive the heartbreak. Somehow.:D

Sounds like our experiences are similar. While ds2 has never loved history, he hasn't complained before. I know that for him, part of his desire to change/simplify comes from his experience at the private school where he's taking English and science. He's finding the courses in school to be more simplified than what we've been doing at home. And he's also comparing his history program to what his friends are doing. And yep, they're using textbooks. Plus, ds2 sees that since ds1 started high school he's gotten to use textbooks--he takes all his classes at the school. Seems like it was inevitable that we'd get to this point. :sad:

Cinder

We are using BJU's American Republic this year (new edition). I LOVE the Activity Manual. It has original documents, speeches, poems, eyewitness accounts, etc. in it. The student is asked to respond to these and sometimes the questions are quite thought-provoking and difficult. My son has read ahead in the AM because some of the accounts are so fascinating. It also has some map work, chart/table reading, and reviews. I am VERY pleased with the AM (and the text, too).

I never, never thought I would go to a textbook for history. But when our little surprise came along (baby girl), I realized I could not keep the in-depth, living books, Mom-led history going. Now I have one boy in American Republic and one in Heritage Studies 5. We don't use the teacher's manuals for these (but we do for the science). Both boys are enjoying them AND learning quite a bit.

HTH!

Jetta

Yay! Thanks for responding...that is really good to hear! :D

Guest momk2000

We just started using BJU for grade 4 History and Science. Dd is so much happier and my stress level is soooo much lower - lol.

For reasons unknown, I just didn't think we would like BJU. I'm so glad we decided to give them a try. I especially like the Heritage Studies.

I am finding the Notebook Pages and TM to be necessary to complete the course for Heritage Studies. For Science, the Activity Manual is definitely needed. We are not using the TM, as I flipped through it and did not feel we would use it. Others may find the TM helpful for Science though. It does have some additional activities, etc..., but seems to be geared more toward classroom use.

I'm nearly in the same spot. Ds2 is in 7th. We started up again with TOG after a year break. I thought my TOG woes were primarily due to our co-op situation. Now I'm thinking that's not it. I love the concept of TOG, but it just isn't working well with us. Again. Ds would also prefer a text. I'm seriously considering just getting BJU. But I really don't want to spend more money. Ugh. Right now we're trying out History Odyssey's Try Before You Buy. It's only been two weeks, but I'm not sure this is the right thing for us, either.

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. :001_smile:

Cinder

This was me a few years ago. I loved SL/MFW, but gathering all the children was not working anymore. My oldest ds works best with textbooks. I actually had him take an online 'portrait' and it confirmed this. My son's brain just doesn't work with history in all different directions. Meaning, notebook pages, switching readers and such. He needs a straight forward path. A textbook. He thrives with the textbook route. He still reads lots of books, so no worries there :) My dd prefers the textbooks too.

We found ourselves in a very similar situation with BF. Dd was tired of history taking so long, tired of reading so much, tired of discussion questions. We are using AOP LifePac. Best curriculum choice I made this year! She loves history again..

My children were tired of waiting for mom :tongue_smilie:they just wanted to get it done!

How funny, my ds went with Heritage Studies 8, even though he is in 7th grade because right now he's really into American History. We might stretch it out to last two years or not, and use Heritage Studies 7 next year.

:tongue_smilie:

I am not using the teacher manual, but I own it. My ds reads the side notes himself because he loves to read about history. With HS8 it also shows what textbook pages correspond with the activity pages. I write the textbook pages that he is to read right on his activity page. The CD that comes with the TM also has some 'letters' that are interesting reads. My son devours all the extra reading.

HTH!

Jetta

Agreeing with Jetta, with regards to the activity manual. Keepers of the Faith website, actually suggest using only the textbook and the activity sheets.

I also once thought I'd never use a textbook but here I am, on our third year and loving it. I think using a textbook at home is much different then using one at school. I have a love for history, I find the textbooks interesting and I LOVE that God is included in history. I get excited about it :D I believe the kids pick-up on this, plus I can help them flesh it out AND we have lots of great books from SL/WP/MFW.

Edited by Homeschooling6

I had to chime in because I have always done history and science through a literature approach. Now both my dc have really enjoyed it, but it has been an enormous amount of work for me. And this year, I couldn't do it anymore. In fact, I was ready to quit homeschooling. After much prayer, dh and I thought we'd try BJU DVD's for both kids. Long story made short.... I have been pleasantly surprised at how well these are working for us.

Now, onto World Studies history: I agree with a previous poster that this book lends itself well to outlining. Most sections are only 2-3 pages of text reading with many illustrations and photos interspersed. Plus, the text is written in 2 column format, which IMHO, is so much easier to read. My dd hasn't complained once about it being boring. The DVD's really enhance the text as the teacher gives way more info than is in the text, so this has stretched my dd to pay attention and take notes. I watch the lecture with her and help her pick out important points. Her first 2 quiz scores, which were based on the lectures, were terrible so I realized I was going to have to "teach" this skill. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the AM. I'll try to give some ideas of activities: perspective in Renaissance art, picture study, passage to study from Canterbury Tales, important players in Reformation, maps to assist in "settings" lessons, comparison charts for various cultures, passage to study from African folktales, entries from Columbus' journal, timeline info on various people & inventions, cause & effects of WWI & WWII, etc. Really, there is a great deal to enhance the text that makes the student think.

Sorry, this got so long, but I wanted to reassure you, I personally don't think you've made a mistake in buying the AM. AND, you may be surprised at how much your dc learns from this course.

HTH,

Jennifer

I had to chime in because I have always done history and science through a literature approach. Now both my dc have really enjoyed it, but it has been an enormous amount of work for me. And this year, I couldn't do it anymore. In fact, I was ready to quit homeschooling. After much prayer, dh and I thought we'd try BJU DVD's for both kids. Long story made short.... I have been pleasantly surprised at how well these are working for us.

Now, onto World Studies history: I agree with a previous poster that this book lends itself well to outlining. Most sections are only 2-3 pages of text reading with many illustrations and photos interspersed. Plus, the text is written in 2 column format, which IMHO, is so much easier to read. My dd hasn't complained once about it being boring. The DVD's really enhance the text as the teacher gives way more info than is in the text, so this has stretched my dd to pay attention and take notes. I watch the lecture with her and help her pick out important points. Her first 2 quiz scores, which were based on the lectures, were terrible so I realized I was going to have to "teach" this skill. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the AM. I'll try to give some ideas of activities: perspective in Renaissance art, picture study, passage to study from Canterbury Tales, important players in Reformation, maps to assist in "settings" lessons, comparison charts for various cultures, passage to study from African folktales, entries from Columbus' journal, timeline info on various people & inventions, cause & effects of WWI & WWII, etc. Really, there is a great deal to enhance the text that makes the student think.

Sorry, this got so long, but I wanted to reassure you, I personally don't think you've made a mistake in buying the AM. AND, you may be surprised at how much your dc learns from this course.

HTH,

Jennifer

Thank you Jennifer! I know my ds LOVES BJU's science with DVDs. BJU's teachers are wonderful. Had I ever considered using them for history I would have taped all the history courses when I had the HomeSat satellite. I guess I just thought we would always comtinue on as we were. :tongue_smilie:

Well, even though all we have so far is the World Studies student text, my son is already enjoying what he is reading. He told me today about how boxes would fall off ships and..the indians I think??? ( Shows how well I was listening :blink:) would use them to bury their dead. He hasn't done that in a long time...told me something fascinating he has learned in history. I'm feeling better and better about my decision. Hope the rest of the books show up soon!

Thank you Jennifer! I know my ds LOVES BJU's science with DVDs. BJU's teachers are wonderful. Had I ever considered using them for history I would have taped all the history courses when I had the HomeSat satellite. I guess I just thought we would always comtinue on as we were. :tongue_smilie:

Well, even though all we have so far is the World Studies student text, my son is already enjoying what he is reading. He told me today about how boxes would fall off ships and..the indians I think??? ( Shows how well I was listening :blink:) would use them to bury their dead. He hasn't done that in a long time...told me something fascinating he has learned in history. I'm feeling better and better about my decision. Hope the rest of the books show up soon!

Yea, kind of a bummer about having access to HomeSat only to realize that something you never thought you would need, would actually be just what you need in the future!! :glare:If only we had 20/20 foresight, not hindsight. I'm kicking myself for never having tried to use BJU in the past. Their program is really clicking with both my dc. I just had this stereotypical idea of what homeschooling was supposed to be....and I think my own pride just got in the way. Live and learn, right!

Jennifer

I used SL, MFW, WP and TOG before finally getting BJU DVD's for my ds last fall when he was ill for a couple of months and I was at my wit's end trying to figure out how to do home school with him. The only part I don't like about it is the long school day - otherwise, I love BJU and plan on continuing to use it from now on (no more searching out other curricula, which is a great feeling, actually)!

However, we do own 3 years of TOG, and I have never covered the period in history for TOG Y2, so we are doing that this year (instead of BJU Heritage Studies Grade 5). So I guess I am in the opposite place from you this year, but I like knowing I have available either one for our use. I don't think I would sell my TOG just yet if I were you. How do you know you won't want to get it out again during the next cycle of history (or even in the 2nd 1/2 of this year... who knows??)

Just a thought!

Brenda

If it makes you feel better, your children will need to be adept with textbook learning if they go to college. They might have two textbooks per class, including massive anthologies, and will be responsible for the concepts/terms/events/people in those textbooks. They could be reading several hundred pages in a textbook on their study days. Some profs test only on lectures, but others clearly state that the student is responsible for the textbook.