Menu

Why do my kids love to learn only when. . .

were we this way when we were kids?

Dh and I are always saying, "We were NEVER like this when we were kids," about many different things.

Jean, I'd just ignore their behavior. It's frustrating, but I think it's fairly common. I get that sometimes with math and English, but dd knows that will get her more work so she no longer behaves in such a manner. I'm just MEAN.;)

With my kids I think it is weak 'stick with it' muscles and that is one of the big reasons we decided to home school. If things come easy I think it is easy to get used to that and very uncomfortable when they don't. My dd10 was experiencing this at school and I wanted to get her out of the habit before too much more time had gone by and it was a much harder habit to break.

were we this way when we were kids?

I can't remember! I do remember that things came pretty easily to me though.

Jean, I'd just ignore their behavior. It's frustrating, but I think it's fairly common. I get that sometimes with math and English, but dd knows that will get her more work so she no longer behaves in such a manner. I'm just MEAN.;)

Dd and I had a talk about this today. I think part of it is the change from 3rd to 4th grade. I'm not expecting that much from her - school still only takes her 2 to 3 hours to complete but I do expect what she does to be complete. Somehow she started out this year thinking that she could just leave blank anything that didn't pop into her head in 3 seconds. I told her that I'm more than happy to help her with stuff that she truly doesn't understand but she needs to put a bit of "brain grease" into it too.

I told her that I'm more than happy to help her with stuff that she truly doesn't understand but she needs to put a bit of "brain grease" into it too.

Brain grease. I like that. ;)

We've had some very busy, but fun days. Dd was a good sport about school, but apparently she didn't try hard enough on math. Dh often times takes over with math corrections (PTL) because he's a math tutor and he is always involved with the math. Dh sent her to bed 10 minutes early (when he was done looking over her math) and told her to try harder. She proceeded to ask me if she could sleep with me tonight. That was a "no" and dd went to bed sad. :sad:

Dd7 is doing well with her work. I won't say more....... I'm afraid I'll jinx myself.

Could it be a 'learning style' issue? Is she an intuitive learner/thinker? We have one of those, and we often can't completely follow her thought process that leads to an answer...nor can she...it looks kinda like guessing, but it's not...

FWIW we had another dd who was very 'strong-willed' with school at around that age (7 I think) for awhile...a lot of tears and trips to the BR for 5 min. time-out! But consistency, calmness (DW) and perseverence prevailed...it only lasted a few months.