Menu

Am I just being wanky?

I am soooo lonely. I know the ropes here - this is my 10th year (wow, really???) homeschooling. I know how this routine goes - we all go into our cocoons during school days. Ok, so I know it.

But, I am so lonely. Best friend moved closer (both ds's friends closer, too - bike rideable). But since they moved in to a neighborhood now, my boys are not needed any more. I'm sure they still love my boys, but out of sight, out of need, out of mind(there are tons of neighborhood boys over there constantly). Eldest ds' friend (her son) went to school this year (freshman) while mine stayed at home. This makes her ever so much busier, while I still have about the same time as before - translation - we never see or talk to them anymore.

I feel like my kids don't have friends any more, I feel like I don't have someone to talk to anymore. All we have now is family time - that's great and all, but family time is all I have.

So, sorry I'm wanking, I just needed a pity party - and a phone friend. I really need to connect with someone outside of my family once a day or so. Perhaps I'm needy, but there has to be someone like me. (Incidentally, my friend is also this way, she just doesn't have time any more).

Oh Shelly. I hear you!!! My mom just told me the other day that I need a friend. I think I'm calling her too much.

But, I understand! I want someone to call to share my good news. I want someone to talk to regularly. Someone who knows me. I had that friend down the street and she moved away and we don't talk as much anymore.

I have lots of friends during baseball season. I LOVE seeing people there. We "do" dinner and coffee. But, I wouldn't just pick up the phone and call one of them.

If it helps, I understand. Want to buy the house down the street?

ETA: I'm in my 10th year of homeschooling too!!!

ETA again: I just saw your sig. Your oldest and mine would get along wonderfully!!!! Mine is a black belt in tang so do and is currently looking for a Judo instructor. And, he's a runner!!! And, my 10 yo is a Webelo too!!!

Edited by Jennifer in MI

I don't have friends really. I have one friend who lives out of town, and we never really had much of a chat on the phone type relationship. It's more of an email a few times a month relationship. We've been friends since we were kids, most of that long distance. I have another friend I graduated college with. She's childless and working. We get together for lunch every few months. I have my sister but she's working and going to school full time. She's 20 and has friends and has a three year old and just has so much on her plate that I can't really call her and complain that my kids gave me a hard time during their Latin lesson and what does she think I should do about history... I have my mom who I can call and chat with but again, too busy, not very interested in school type stuff these days. She works a lot and she's dealing with my grandmother having a brain tumor... She just has enough on her plate right now. So today, after the Latin lesson I mentioned, I called the only person left- my husband. He was nice, stepped out of someone's office and into the hall to talk to me for a few minutes. But I need a friend. :(

I am *right* there with you! Lonely is a hard place to be. I manage only because I'm lonely AND busy, so I don't have time to dwell on it too much. But, at times, I miss having friends that are on the same "page" as me, who can understand my struggles, my frustrations, my joyful moments, etc. I have friends, but we are all so busy that we rarely connect anymore. Other people, that I see more regularly (at kids' activities) are nice, but I don't have much in common with them.

Any good homeschool coops around? I don't know what I would do without my once a week fix with the wonderful like minded women who are in the same boat as me. There where no classes that where a fit for my kids this year so I'm teaching one just so I can be there. It is a great place to connect and plan field trips together or just hang out and commiserate together.

We have several houses for sale in my neighborhood. Feel free to move in. I would love to meet for coffee everyday at 3:00 to talk about success and failures and just life in general!

Feeling your pain. I have no/few friends IRL too. And this is not the first time, nor the second, that I've seen such a thread. Could we advertise for email/phone buddies or something and try to pair up? (Of course, if one of us doesn't get picked that's more rejection, but who knows, it might be a blessing overall to people.) I'd be willing to participate. Personals for homeschool moms! But platonic.

But, I help out in Biology class and tennis class. That leaves 2 periods that involve prep for the other classes. Not much time for socializing for me. :(

Plus, I really want a friend who really KNOWS me and loves me in spite of myself. It is also hard because dh travels alot. I really don't mind so much when he is home.

I am also borrowing loneliness for my children. They haven't complained, but they haven't done anything "friend" like for a while. It would be nice to have someone just call and say - hey, can the kids come play?

Jennifer - the house (on 5 acres) is for sale across the street. It is a nice house, and is in foreclosure. Would love a neighbor. Maybe we could e-mail or something? Maybe it would help us both out.

But, I help out in Biology class and tennis class. That leaves 2 periods that involve prep for the other classes. Not much time for socializing for me. :(

Plus, I really want a friend who really KNOWS me and loves me in spite of myself. It is also hard because dh travels alot. I really don't mind so much when he is home.

I am also borrowing loneliness for my children. They haven't complained, but they haven't done anything "friend" like for a while. It would be nice to have someone just call and say - hey, can the kids come play?

Jennifer - the house (on 5 acres) is for sale across the street. It is a nice house, and is in foreclosure. Would love a neighbor. Maybe we could e-mail or something? Maybe it would help us both out.

Hi Shelley,

I think we live near each other. If you'd like to meet up, pm me.