Menu

Problem with LLftLotR and page numbers

VBCaroline

Has anyone else had a problem with page numbers not matching the book? I recently purchased the 2nd edition and the recommended paperback LotR with matching ISBN. As early as lesson 5, dd noticed that some page numbers were off. Now almost every page number is off by as much as 2 pages, and I think the problem may get worse. I emailed the company on Friday, but I have not received a response.

Any ideas? I'm wondering if maybe only the hardback pages match up, even though both paperback and hardback were recommended on the website. Am I missing something?

Here's a link to the webpage with the recommended books:

http://www.homescholar.org/LOTR%20Curr.htm

Here's an example from the lesson for chapter 8. The first two blanks in the student guide indicates that the answers will be found on page 134 in the book. However, pg. 134 is the last page of chapter 7.

Uh oh ... my 2nd edition is the same. pg 134 is the last page of chapter 7.

Mine too... :glare:

I already have a very nice hardcover special edition of LOTR - the only reason I bought a second copy with the curric. was so the page numbers would match up, and I bought the paperback, because whyever would I want a second hardcover?

I bet you're right about the numbers referring to the hardcover edition. If this is widespread and not just a random typo, they need to make this right...

So far the others I've checked in book 1 and beginning of book 2 are OK. What others have you found to be incorrect?
Almost all of the page numbers for Book One chapters 7 & 8 are incorrect. That's as far as we've gotten in the study. They are off by about two pages. For example, what should be on pg. 122, my dd found on pg. 124. It's not a big problem when filling in the blanks in the first section, but it makes the comprehension questions trickier.

Maybe the first pages of each book match up???

Edited by VBCaroline
Got some details mixed up.

I just spoke with Amelia Harper, the author of the guide. She says that she did not receive my email and that she is just learning of this problem. However, she did indicate that they are trying to figure out how this problem happened. She offered that she might be able to issue a corrections page. I'm not left feeling really great about this.

ETA: Ms. Harper did call me back already. Yay! She's working on figuring out exactly where the mistakes are, and she said she would issue a new copy if they need to do a reprint.

Edited by VBCaroline

I just spoke with Amelia Harper, the author of the guide. She says that she did not receive my email and that she is just learning of this problem. However, she did indicate that they are trying to figure out how this problem happened. She offered that she might be able to issue a corrections page. I'm not left feeling really great about this.

ETA: Ms. Harper did call me back already. Yay! She's working on figuring out exactly where the mistakes are, and she said she would issue a new copy if they need to do a reprint.

Thanks and please keep us posted! This is very annoying in a curriculum this expensive.

• 1 month later...

This is the email response I received from the author on Oct. 3:

I just went through books one and two. There are three chapters affected in book one (some of them only partially affected). In book two, all of the chapters have been correct with the new edition aside from three small individual errors I found. I hope the rest of the books are correct as well, but we will check them in the coming week. I hope to have the corrections for at least books one and two posted on the website for this week.

Thanks for your help with this, I know it is frustrating, but please keep in mind that most literature books do not even try to offer specific page references like this. However, we are constantly working to make this curriculum easier to use.

I emailed her back because I was unable to find the corrections on the website, but so far I have received no response.

DD is working through Book Two now, and she has not come across the same problem with page numbers.

Thanks for the response.

Yup-I agree that it is frustrating. I hate excuses such as "most don't list page references". Yes, but yours does and it is built on the premise. Write it without being dependent on page references next time or give us the corrections-for that kind of money I expect such service.

But thanks again for the reporting on the issue. I'll start scoping out the website.

Mine match up. I checked Book 1 and 2 of Volume 1, and various chapters throughout the rest of the huge book. Do you have these versions?

the LotR paperback: ISBN 978-0-618-64015-7

the teacher's 2nd edition manual: ISBN 978-9754934-2-7

I purchased mine in July. I wonder if they ran another 2nd edition but changed page numbers for some reason? Weird!

I bought the set, the teacher's manual, student manual and LOTR book so it is the one meant to go w/ the curriculum. I agree w/ previous poster that to say others do not offer page numbers is a cop out. If you offer pages numbers, they should match, otherwise, find some other method. I too purchased mine in July. Or perhaps it was June. It was the month they ran the special which I think ended June 30.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything from the author regarding the errors? I've sent several emails and have heard nothing. I've not seen anything on the website regarding how she is going to handle it. She could give pdfs of the affected pages (not ideal b/c we have to pay to print it) or she could mail out affected pages to replace the ones we have.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, it seems that some didn't do the fill in the blank questions b/c it was just too much. I probably wouldn't either so that wouldn't affect how I'd use the curriculum but I still think this should have been fixed. I keep meaning to call and just haven't gotten around to it.

I just noticed new posts to this thread. I never heard back from Ms. Harper about the corrections, but we have had no more problems with page numbers. You could try the phone number on the Home Scholar website. Ms. Harper answered when I called back in September.

HTH