Menu

Splash! Free one-day classes covering all sorts of topics.

MBM

Splash! is a program of free classes for high schoolers offered mostly at universities and colleges (from what I can gather). Classes introduce students to topics that might not be offered at most high schools. Instructors are usually university students. More info about Splash! here:

http://nusplash.learningu.org/faq.html

University of Chicago is holding one soon -- Saturday, October 2nd -- so if you're interested, go to the following site to check out class offerings:

http://splashchicago.learningu.org/

If you have some down time, I'd suggest a tour of U of C's Oriental Institute. They have a suggested donation, but plenty of people pay much less and many go for free if money's tight:

http://oi.uchicago.edu/

Northwestern University's will be held April 2, 2011, in Evanston, IL.

http://nusplash.learningu.org/index.html

Another recommendation for Splash here!

My son has been involved with MIT's Splash and has highly enjoyed working with the middle & high school kids who come in for the weekend. It will be held on Nov 20 & 21 this year.

Stanford also offers Splash classes. My daughter is hoping to help with it; their classes will be held on Nov 13 & 14.

There is a small cost involved on these two campuses, but I think it's worthwhile :).

~Kathy

My son is very excited about this. He signed up for a math problem-solving class with Daniel Zaharopol, who also went to MIT, teaches at AoPS and is invovled with Learning Unlimited. The other class involves Pascal's triangles. Should be fun!

What a small world! Dan sounds very interesting, and it seems he likes algebra which is my son's favorite area of math so far. It will be a great experience just to be around other people who like math so much.

Less than two weeks to go! :)

Dan is the one person most responsible for my daughter's future career plans. She has wanted to work in the realm of improving math education ever since she took a summer course on math ed theories from Dan in 2007.:)

~Kathy

Wow. I'm going to try to just peek into the classroom before or after the class so I can meet him. He sounds amazing.

My son is only in 8th grade yet, but he often mentions that he thinks he'd like to teach math. He's had a few really wonderful teachers in school, and I think that's having an effect on him. Last spring, he was actually teary-eyed when his math class ended at school because he wouldn't have that teacher again for a few years.

Then again, he likes his orthodontist a lot and has mentioned that maybe he'll become an orthodontist! LOL.

Wow. I'm going to try to just peek into the classroom before or after the class so I can meet him. He sounds amazing.

My son is only in 8th grade yet, but he often mentions that he thinks he'd like to teach math. He's had a few really wonderful teachers in school, and I think that's having an effect on him. Last spring, he was actually teary-eyed when his math class ended at school because he wouldn't have that teacher again for a few years.

Then again, he likes his orthodontist a lot and has mentioned that maybe he'll become an orthodontist! LOL.

Haha! My dd wanted to be a teacher, a ballerina, and a cleaning lady (?!) when she was little. The teacher part stuck and is getting stronger. She'd like to teach & develop math curriculum in an alternative/ gifted resource/ homeschool cottage school type of setting some day. Actually, our dream is to open a little school together someday when she's done with her education. Who knows?

~Kathy

I'm a bit fuzzy on the details (I'm sure others here know more -- Kathy? :001_smile:), but I do know that MIT's program has been around for decades, and that the concept recently expanded to other areas, notably Illinois and Stanford. It seems to all be coordinated now by Learning Unlimited.

Here's LU's page about current programs. There *is* a Splash in NYC -- not sure how far you are from NYC. I used to live in Western NY -- far from any of these ...

HTH

~Laura

Haha! My dd wanted to be a teacher, a ballerina, and a cleaning lady (?!) when she was little. The teacher part stuck and is getting stronger. She'd like to teach & develop math curriculum in an alternative/ gifted resource/ homeschool cottage school type of setting some day. Actually, our dream is to open a little school together someday when she's done with her education. Who knows?

Wow! With your backgrounds, that would be an awesome school! Can I sign my kids up now? :001_smile: ... err, maybe my (future) grandkids!

Cleaning lady -- love it! :lol:

Until very recently, my mathy son's main goal in life was to get a job at Subway (the sandwich shop).

I'm a bit fuzzy on the details (I'm sure others here know more -- Kathy? :001_smile:), but I do know that MIT's program has been around for decades, and that the concept recently expanded to other areas, notably Illinois and Stanford. It seems to all be coordinated now by Learning Unlimited.

Here's LU's page about current programs. There *is* a Splash in NYC -- not sure how far you are from NYC. I used to live in Western NY -- far from any of these ...

HTH

~Laura

Yes, Laura's correct - right now Splash is only offered on limited campuses (onsite, over a weekend) , but it's growing fast. The sites listed above in Laura's link are the only ones that I know about.

~Kathy

PS. Laura - send your kids here anytime! I'm missing homeschooling and I'll take 'em :001_smile:

My kids went to MIT Splash! last year and it was quite an interesting experience. It was good, but it could have been a little more organized. My younger dd was overwhelmed and ended up skipping a couple of her classes. My older dd liked a few of her classes, except for Diophantine Equations (?). She didn't understand anything they were talking about...she excused herself and never returned. The class descriptions were lacking so they were never quite sure what they were going to end up with. I would recommend not overscheduling yourselves, leave breaks for lunch and dinner (the cold pizza served for lunch was terrible), and try to see a little bit of Boston while you're there.:)

My kids went to MIT Splash! last year and it was quite an interesting experience. It was good, but it could have been a little more organized. My younger dd was overwhelmed and ended up skipping a couple of her classes. My older dd liked a few of her classes, except for Diophantine Equations (?). She didn't understand anything they were talking about...she excused herself and never returned. The class descriptions were lacking so they were never quite sure what they were going to end up with. I would recommend not overscheduling yourselves, leave breaks for lunch and dinner (the cold pizza served for lunch was terrible), and try to see a little bit of Boston while you're there.:)

My son is attending this year's at MIT, so I appreciate your advice. Did you stick around for any of the parents' sessions?

Do the kids get lunch, then? Or do I have to take him to lunch between classes?

Interesting review of Diophantine, as that was one my kid was hoping they'd repeat this year. Maybe he'll want to rethink that, if it's incomprehensible (although, would the teacher be the same? I understand they're mostly undergrads, so do they tend to teach more than one year?).

And we're traveling for this, so any suggestions about what to do in Boston are most welcome! :001_smile:

My son is attending this year's at MIT, so I appreciate your advice. Did you stick around for any of the parents' sessions?

Yes, I went to a couple of the parent's sessions. I'm glad I stayed on campus too because my younger dd (7th grade) texted me at one point saying she "was completely lost". By the time I found her, she was in tears and broke down in the middle of the crowded hallway. After a quick snack and drink she was good to go again (probably a combination of tiredness, nervousness, hunger, etc.).

Do the kids get lunch, then? Or do I have to take him to lunch between classes?

You can sign up for the lunch (a long line for cold pizza last year) if you want, but I suggest you pick up a sandwich/salad in the student union and coordinate a meeting place.

Interesting review of Diophantine, as that was one my kid was hoping they'd repeat this year. Maybe he'll want to rethink that, if it's incomprehensible (although, would the teacher be the same? I understand they're mostly undergrads, so do they tend to teach more than one year?).

I don't know if they'll have the same teachers this year, and if your son is interested in that class you should have him try it. My older dd was in Geometry at the time and said she didn't understand any of it. Your son might have a completely different experience though. She really wanted to take the night tour of MIT but she was too tired by the end of the day Saturday.

And we're traveling for this, so any suggestions about what to do in Boston are most welcome! :001_smile:

There is so much to do in Boston it's hard to narrow it down. The Faneuil (sp?) Hall area is a lot of fun and they actually had the Christmas tree lighting celebration the weekend we were there. Also, try to take one of the historical walking tours if you have time. Very cool. We went on a tour of Harvard with a bunch of other kids and that was interesting. The next time we're in town we'll probably visit Boston College or Boston University.

The Science Museum is a lot of fun, and not too far from MIT. The Duck Tours of Boston leave from the museum, too, if you want to do something touristy. We always enjoy strolling around Harvard Square and visiting the book and art shops. And further out is Walden Pond, which is absolutely gorgeous in the fall when the leaves are turning.:)

~Kathy